Marcus Brown - ShopTalk: Episode 1 - Stripper butt and how to ski till your 89

Horton

• Baller_
This could be big. Like it. Feedback. Ahh, I think I have the idea of hip flexor issues and yep I have Stripper butt. But not so much skiing but more as you @marcusbrown point out in daily life. Sit a lot. Walk with poor posture (stripper but). Have almost continuous lower back pain to varying degrees. Hamstrings crazy tight and most everything else you explained. So what I gather is core tight and glutes flexed when walking, standing. Is there a way to help when siting to open up the hip flexors or a don't do this when sitting? Will try the band. Accept the floor portion. That looks like a great deal of torque on the knee. Any other web links that have good demos of hip flexor stretches? Do you recommend stretches like these both before and after a set. If there is time for only one, which would you do?

• Baller
That's great, It's nice to see a pro explaining technique in a very understandable and visual format. Look forward to future installments. Now if I can just figure out a way to do that when I'm actually skiing.... Is there anyway to actually practice that stacked position at home.

• Supporting Member

Marcus Brown is trapped in a storage locker!! Hm, that could be the name of the series...

But seriously, very cool.

I'm curious about hip and glute strengthening exercises specifically for holding slalom load. As a certified tight ass white boy, I feel like some of those muscles are never strong enough for this game.

Something like reebok slide have value? Better ideas?

• Baller

Great stuff @marcusbrown. Tremendous advice

Another great stripper-butt exercise is one I learned from a PT many many back injuries ago and that is the Pelvic tilt:

Stand up, squeeze your butt cheeks hard! and Thrust forward with your pelvis as much as you can. Hold for a few seconds and relax. Do it 3-4 times.

If you have even a little back pain this maneuver gives instant relief. It also is a decent core exercise and builds strength in the lower core and pelvis.

A good friend of mine writes a fitness column in our montreal newspaper and she did her research and found that doing these 3 exercises are way better than sit-ups for core strength

1) plank

2) mountain climber

3) side cross

I'm no yoga guy, never attended a class ever, but these exercises have given me much improved core strength and reduced back pain to almost zero.

Marcus, you asked what else we'd like to see, for me that's your best description of, and exercises to do and practice the Stacked Position.

I've been slaloming for over 45 yrs and yet still have trouble getting that position, but when I do, it's magic.

Any tips on how to do it better, more consistently ?

And a sincere thank you for taking the time to do these video tips

They are tremendously well appreciated!

Excellent stuff @Marcus Brown. I have been doing crossfit training trying to get my body back in shape to ski better. I sit working on computers for 12-14 hours a day, I know all the issues you were speaking of! I cannot wait for the next installment.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan - better ideas than the reebok slide. If you have the cash and the space then a skiers edge will bring the pain to the bottom, hips and thighs. If you add the plyometric kit then it really increased the resistance. Ebay/craigslist are your best bet, got mine for around 1/2 of what they sell for new and like most exercise equipment it was like new ;)

Also the yoga really helps. My wife is an instructor so I get sucked into taking a class with her every once in a while, more of a workout than you might think.

• Baller
great stuff @marcusbrown! Looking forward to more videos and being able to apply aspects of them into daily life. I often times see people (myself included) implement on the water drills to create good habits in the course. Perhaps a series of off the water drills that could transfer to improved course form would be good. Even better if those drills/stretches/postures could be done while at work/school so that it becomes more of a natural position over time than something one must concentrate on so much while skiing.

• Baller
@marcusbrown - good stuff, thank you! As a long time student of Jenny's, as I am sure you are, I am curious what your philosophy is on working out, stretching, and recovery during the ski season? Im sure "listen to your body" is part of that answer, but I'd like to know if you cut back to a maintenance mode during the season or keep your foot on the gas in the gym? Thanks for all you do for the sport

• Baller

Not exactly what I expected to see when I googled stripper butt. Never the less MB is spot on to low back pain from water skiing. I have been fighting it for years and the hip flexors are a big part of it. So many muscles attach to the pelvis which are part of that low back and when the pelvis is out of proper alignment it curves the lumbar which cause the problem. I really liked the visual with the foam roller about when the spine is already out of proper alignment and the load causes pain. Reminds of stepping off a curb or in a pot hole and feeling like I just got shocked right in the low back.

Thanks Marcus

• Baller

@marcusbrown. This is the most important thing ever. I have been skiing a long time, and have always tried to maintain good position on the ski. However, this year I have learned that being in that position is important not just for the durability of my body, but more so for the EFFICIENCY of my ski. If I stand in the right stance on the whitewash, maintain that stance in my pullout, and maintain that stance on the turn in, the entire pass is entirely different. I'm earlier, wider, lighter, taller, and "slower" (a feel, probably still fast, just feels slower because of the level of control and the fact that I'm super early). It is the difference between running -35 because you always do, and running -35 and feeling like the rope is still at -28. Really, really important.

I am serving notice to anyone who skis with me. Constantly remind me -- Position on ski, position on ski, position on ski.

Thanks Marcus!