Dowel and strap glove safety

Dacon62

• Baller
Have never owned a pair of dowel and strap gloves (Masterline Prolocks, Radar Vice, etc) as I have always been concerned that in a fall my hand may inadvertently 'lock' onto the handle due to the nature of the glove design. Has this happened to anyone? Not trying to spread paranoia here just want some opinions before buying some as I have dislocated my shoulder a few times while engaged in other activities.

I've had both and have never had an issue. I loaned out a pair to a guy that was having difficulty getting out of the water. After he came back from skiing a set he thought it felt like cheating. The only complaint that I have heard is that some of the short line skiers having issues re-gripping back on the handle.

• Baller

I have used them off and on when a hand issue pops up, but I have always removed the dowel plug.

My experience is that it caused a few more hits on my shoulders due to a later release. You need to "open" your hand to let the handle out.

• Baller_
IMHO 1.0 or less for average guy hands but would guess smaller for smaller hands. In the long run if you have issues change handle size before giving up on them. They do take a while to get used to. But, IMO, once they work, you won't go back.

• Baller
A tournament friend of mine did have an issue several years ago. He got stuck on the handle and it tore off his middle finger at the palm. Medivac'd from the lake by helicopter and had to have multiple surgeries to reconfigure his hand. Freak accident for sure, but it happened.

• Baller

"Glove safety"? If glove safety is preventing blisters, then dowel gloves are safer as you can relax your grip a bit and load the dowel not your skin.

If glove safety is avoiding having the handle slip out of your hand (especially in the pull) then dowel gloves are safer as you can hold on to a higher load.

If glove safety is how easily you can let go then dowel gloves are less safe as you must open your hand a bit more. Additionally, the strap for the dowel can "stick" a bit to the handle making the handle release less smooth. I use rubber bands around the strap to minimize this effect.

If glove safety is to lower the loads transferred to the rest of your body then dowel gloves are less safe as you can hold onto forces that can really stress backs, shoulders and legs.

No serious gymnast will go on the bars without dowel grips. It's dangerous. You don't want to lose your grip unintentionally - ever. There are way more serious threats than dowel gloves. Let go yourself before you dislocate your shoulder - regardless of what gloves you choose.

I have used dowel grips waterskiing since before you could buy them. I loved the old Clinchers. Goode's dowel gloves are my current favorite - even better when coupled to a Powervest.

Eric

• Baller
Have used these for over 20 years with no problems, starting with Clinchers...Have tried everyone of them, including Goode, Radar, and currently, Pro-Locks are my favorite..I do have to reinforce the Palm Pads, since they wear a hole in them after 10 sets, but otherwise no problems. Current pair I've used for 6 months and going strong.

• Baller
20 yrs here with 'em, never been dangerously stuck. I now take dowels out b/c at shorter lines when keeping handle out to ball and subsequent tension every once in a while with dowels in I have a slight delay in release. With dowels out this is minimized and doesn't seem to affect grip.

• Baller
Used Clinchers for several years w/o dowel and loved them. Unfortunately, they do require more effort to release than a standard glove and I feel this caused an aggravation of a pre-existing shoulder injury. If you have shoulder issues I would not risk using them. I've gone back to a standard glove and miss the Clincher/ML/Radar grip but it simply isn't worth the risk of shoulder surgery/rehab.

• Baller

@scuppers..Chuck, it is really simple..When you see a spot on your glove that is showing wear and a hole will soon form. Cut a piece of iron on patch material, larger than where the hole will form, and simply iron it on...As an example Wal-Mart sells all kinds of patching material, from little 3" squares to larger 12" pieces, from thin to thick..It will extend the life of your gloves for months.

The little thin squares work well on liners also..Been using these for years..They come in a set of 10 for about $1.50...The larger, slightly thicker material is better on the gloves and virtually indistructable...Just cut the shape you want and iron it on, it's that simple.

• Baller_

Gotta give a shout out to @Ed_Johnson‌. I patched my gloves as discribed. WORKS GREAT! Cheap and easy enough that I can do it. I had to ask how to turn the iron on if that's any indicaiton but did it myself. I burn holes in my Vice gloves in the same spot on both hand and it happens way to quick for the money spent on them. Have to toss out perfectly good gloves because of the hole that develops. Once it starts it gets large fast. Patched these before the whole ever started. I'm at least 8-10 sets in and they are good as new an the patch has does not show any sign of coming off. The patch does not even look warn. Tough stuff...and yes, Walmart $1.50 for a bunch.

e1d6dyvzl84d.jpg

Thank you @Ed_Johnson‌!! Great idea

• Baller
i have heard that story before but it was a pair of the old h.o. gloves that had the two center fingers in one big mitt like pocket and sort of a knob thing at the tip of each of those two fingers. they dont make those any more and they were quite different from the strap gloves being discussed in this thread. if were talking about the same guy he ended up being ' sponsored ' for life ' by h.o.

• Baller
I used mine for 5 years. 5 different pairs of ProLocks. 0 issues ever with releasing. IMO if you are having problems where you have to "open your hand" the gloves are too small. Ger correctly fitted and you will never have an issue. Now I did go away from them this season because of something that Nate told me. He said that sometimes that can give you a false sense of how much you are pulling because that strap has a lot of the load instead of your hands thus less "feel" of the amount you are pulling. I swtiched to masterline K- curve (that name might be wrong) and love them. Left them at home one practice day and had to use the prolocks on the boat. I could not believe the difference. Nate was dead on.

• Baller

I use ML and Radar Clinchers.

Gloves size small and ML handle 1" and One Radar slightly thinner.

Tested a slightly larger handle (1.016"?) but didn't like it.

Have not had any problems related to clinchers.

Ski more relaxed. Especially before and after pre gates.

Maybe a bit more difficult to grab handle after turn.

This should maybe go into glove companies marketing =0/

My blisters are much smaller and softer.

That makes my wifie more happy

(hmmm how to formulate? - type no bed time headache due to blister on hands)

• Baller

My wife's shoulder is held together with screws, she was wearing regular gloves...

The only mishap I have seen with dowel/strap gloves was when we gave a large pair to a small female. When she missed getting up the gloves stayed on the handle, but she didn't. They slid right off her hands. Once we found she was OK (its scary seeing a set of hands on the handle with no person attached) I shut the boat off because I was laughing too hard to safely drive...

• Baller
Unrelated to dowel gloves but related to glove safety: I was talking to a guy last year who's arm was nearly ripped off because the wrist strap (on a normal pair of gloves) somehow got around the handle in a fall. He'll probably never be able to ski again. I was thinking of notching a relief cut into the wrist straps of my gloves so that they tear if the forces ever get that high.

• Baller
I interchange between vice gloves and regular gloves. I am in a med vice, and they aren't super snug, a small won't fit though. I generally pull the dowels out. I use a 1.03 13" masterline curved handle. works great but prefer the control of regular gloves. have missed a few passes thanks to mis-grabs with the clinchers. Dont feel as safe with them.

• Baller

my $.02....(and i realize I am the one dissenting voice here)... I picked up up vice's last year for my golfer's elbow. loved the gloves ...worked phenomenally for the elbows. skied better too.

Bad news: never had shoulder issues in past BUT last year ended up with cuff and labral tears after skiing. fortunately no surgery. brother visited and used gloves...loved them...until he tore his labrum as well and needed surgery.

now, cant be sure it was the gloves but neither of us have had shoulder issues before. interesting coincidence. skied all year this year with normal gloves and have had absolutely no shoulder issues. keep in mind, we are 15 off guys with relatively poor technique so i am sure that plays into the equation. in my experience, the prolock type gloves with dowel in place will delay release every so slightly which translates force to the shoulder, usually in an extended/abducted position.

• Baller

I use med vice, love/hate (but I think that's my way right now with all skiing)

I took dowel out and cut off excess fabric, nothing but a strap and a "bead" of fabric where dowel was.

Ups: no blisters, hang on to death-defying-pass-saving wake crossings, comfy

Downs: they take getting used to (6 sets can sometimes be a week in New England), my left hand sticks to the handle sometimes at 6ball, may be due to modification so not recommended to do that.

Broke a strap the other night , had a spare.