I have a loose screw... Literally...

ral

• Baller

@ral that sucks. I once had a screw holding my clavical down while surgery from a grade three shoulder separation healed.

It was meant to stay in forever, but the waterskiing gods had a different plan.

On one particular pull I heard and felt something pop like a guitar string. Then another surgery to remove he screw...luckily everything else was fine.

I'm sure everything will go well.

• Baller
@ral I have the same fusion. I also have some symptoms that are telling me something isn't quite right. Back in August I merely "hooked up" after rounding 4 ball on I think my 6th pass and my neck hasn't been the same since. The pain was immediate. Can you share what issues you had that led you to get it checked out?

• Baller
@ral. Don't want to suggest anything negative, but just wondering if the surgeon sent you for a CT to make sure the fusion is solid. Unfortunately, micromotion at the fusion site can sometimes lead to loosening. Hoping it's ok.

• Baller

@RLW, Fusion was almost complete 1 year ago, 10 months after surgery. I started feeling the same choking sensation I got after the surgery (milder, though), and some Trapezius pain (which might have been unrelated as it stopped...). Fusion looks good in the new xr as well, as per what the doc said, but did all the talking thru the phone. Maybe more to come when I visit the doc/go to the OR.

1 year ago, all screws were in place.

@Sethro, how did you get the injury?

• Baller

@ral, I'm not positive how I injured it in the first place. I assume it had something to do with barefoot falls and those pesky "fall backwards towards the boat" falls while trick skiing. There was no defining moment that I can say was the cause. Basically it had bothered me on and off for a few years, but March of 2012 it just didn't get better on its own like it had a few times before.

So, I assume I had a bulging disc problem for a few years before the full blown rupture occurred at some point. My MRI indicated I needed C5-C6 done too, but the Dr. said when he got in there he decided it wasn't necessary. However, I think that decision was based more on the fact that there were complications with my surgery and the Dr. didn't have time to the second disc.

Good luck with your procedure, I sincerely hope it goes well for you.

• Baller
It is not the same location but I had a screw removed from my tibia to allow compression after a break that required internal fixation. They did the procedure while I was awake using a local and a few Vicodin. Walked into and out of the procedure, went on a 20 mile bike ride the next day. Hope your removal is as easy as mine was.

• Baller

Plate is out. Fusion looked good in the CAT scan and even better live, Doc said. What you can see in the pic in worth around 2 skis...

Recovery is slow though. Doc said in principle 2 months, as the body needs to settle as per the new force and stress distribution structure. Will start the negotiation process tomorrow...

• Baller
@RLW, the screw locking system failed and broke. Doc is going to meet the plate rep to analyze. He even had an issue in the removal process, as the damaged locking mechanism was jammed and did not want to receed to allow extraction of the other screw.