Promo

Andy

• Baller
I've always wondered how many "promo" boats manufacturers put out versus how many brand new boats they sell to off the street customers. Anyone have any idea? I just don't see dealers in my area selling a lot of new 3-event boats except to promo guys...

• Baller

@richarddoane...Okay. But I guess I'm wondering how many "average joes" are buying brand new boats with zero hours on them versus boats that are going through promo guys first. If Correct Craft builds "X" number of SN200s this year, what number is "X", and what percentage of "X" are promo versus off the street sales nationwide.

@ShaneH...you seem versed in the promo world...any ideas?

• Baller
@Onside135 I can tell you not many. Not many at all. I was thinking about this earlier today and a very important part of someone buying a new boat (or promo boat) is that it is viewed as important to help your local promo dealer, thus more people buy promos. I know the local MC dealership that I do some work with (they are all wakeboarders so I go to the boat show's with them to explain skis, ski design, etc.) and they "sold" 1 MC last year. That was the promo dealers boat.

• Baller

MC makes 125 Tournament Teams a year and sells at least that many 197s over and above. The number of promo 200s is about 70 and CC sells about 250 200s a year. How many ski boats get sold depends on the area. In our area, there are 3 promo 200s and my best friends dealership sells 3-5 200s additional to retail customers. Same with the Mastercrafts.

For '14, you'll be standing in line if you want a MC. They sent an email to dealers saying that if they didn't already had a production slot reserved, they won't get a ProStar. They have already ordered an additional tooling set, but at this point there will only be 125-130 '14 ProStars.

• Baller
@Andy -- I think buying a one year old promo is an excellent way to get a great boat at a reduced price. When I bought my 197TT in 2005 I told myself that was the only way I'd ever buy a boat again. I am breaking the rule and buying a 2014 ProStar direct from my local dealer, who I know quite well. If it weren't for that relationship, I'd be waiting for a TT at the end of 2014.

• Baller
They were basically correct at one time. And I've got the nautique promo roster spreadsheet, so I know exactly how many of them there are. Now, one distinction I need to make is that 197 Tournament Teams do not all go to promo members. There are not 125 MC promo owners. Dealers could order a tournament team boat if they wanted, as long as there is a 197 production slot available.

• Administrators

@ShaneH Lets just say that I do not think you have access to the whole picture with all brands discussed. What you describe may be part of the picture. My sources are confidential so I am not saying where I think you may be off.

Just don't want the readers taking your #s to the bank in case they are off

• Baller
I priced out a fairly plain jane 200 OB w a 409. If I could buy a similar boat promo with low hours it is obviously a better deal. Is there a typical savings or does each seller have a target price based on the years in the program?

• Baller
@Andy The answer is, it depends. Some promo owners try to get out of the boat just what they have in it, some get extra incentives, some try and make money, some get sold back to the dealerships who then sell them. There is no rhyme, rule, or reason to promo pricing around the country. At this time.

• Administrators

@lhoover meh. Just because I have info does not always mean I should print it. Maybe “confidential" was the too strong of a word.

@ShaneH thinks his numbers are right. I have heard otherwise. His sources are good and so are mine. Whatever.