Radar Vapor Review

Horton

• Administrators

@Chuck_Dickey‌ HhmmMmmmmm Settings on Performance are correct. See link below. When I set up my first vapor I don't think the official settings were in stone yet. I think it may be inaccurate to call the below settings new. Lets call them "new to me"

http://www.perfski.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=fcea1f45-e388-4236-b492-8ea5a19a5e11&item_guid=ac43d46a-5056-8800-781c-502429584f40

• Baller

@Horton - Can you please help clear up the difference in fin setting dated 3/1/2014 and posted on the Performance site you linked to above. Rini sent out different setting after 3/1/2014. Rini text them, but I lost the text. I copied this from @Roger in another thread. I believe Rini has confirmed these are his latest setting but I have no proof to back it up. This really needs to be cleared up so we are not guessing on what setting we are to start with.

Roger Posts: 1,070 Solid Baller

May 17 edited May 17

I just got the latest Vapor setting from Rini at our April tournament.

63.5, 6.875, 2.475, .745 wing at 8, boot at 29.00

65, 6.880, 2.475, .745 wing at 9, boot at 29.25

66, 9.954, 2.445, .745 wing at 9, boot at 29.25

67, 6.960, 2.450, .750 wing at 9, boot at 30.25

68, 6.960, 2.450, .750 wing at 9, boot at 30.75

• Administrators

@JC McCavit‌ I think the binding placement #s you have there are wrong. I ran those settings on a 67 tonight but with the front binding at 29.75. No way you would want the binding forward 1/2 inch.

By the way I liked the settings ALOT!

• Administrators

From http://www.perfski.com/

Matt Rini's Fin Settings (Updated as of 3/1/14):

Size: Depth DFT Length Boot Setting

63.5": 2.475, .745, 6.875 front boot @ 28 1/2 wing @ 8

65": 2.475, .745, 6.880 front boot @ 28 3/4 wing @ 9

66": 2.445, .745, 6.954 front boot @ 29 1/4 wing @ 9

67": 2.450, .750, 6.960 front boot @ 29 3/4 wing @ 9

68": 2.450, .750, 6.960 front boot @ 30 1/4 wing @‌ 9

• Baller

Just a sanity check... Since the green vapor and the blue vapor are the same ski shape and composition, these setting applicable to both, right?

FWIW, I've now run more passes at my hardest line on my Vapor in 1.5 months than I did over the past 5 years.

• Administrators

@JC McCavit‌ I checked with Matt and those settings are definitely wrong. it's just your binding position settings. To make sure nobody copied the wrong numbers I added your post

it looks like you got them from @roger I don't know where his original post is but we should edit it to

• Baller
@Horton - I appreciate you figuring this out, but I want you to know @Roger didn't get it wrong. I attached the screen shot a few of us used so you can see it for yourself. You may not believe it, but I ran those numbers all summer. I skied my average, now i wonder how I would ski with the correct numbers.

• Baller

The only knock I have on the Vapor is "official" settings are a moving target.

The perfski "posted 3/1/14" settings changed several times in March 14, again in April and several times throughout the summer. I stopped checking often after that. In March 14, if I recall correctly, I don't think there were any settings at all on the Radar site. I have never seen the perfski and Radar site settings agree.

Setting excerpts from my log (68" ski):

10/11/13 Got the ski from Performance 6.870 2.480 0.765 30.25 8 was what was given by them as stock. They had them on a scrap of paper.

10/13/12 6.895 2.451 0.730 30.5 8 Settings from Horton's review.

3/01/14 Rini 6.960 2.450 0.750 9 30.75 (original "3/01/14" settings)

5/7/14 Radar site Rini 6.885 2.480 0.755 9 30.25 9

5/7/14 perfski site Rini 6.960 2.450 0.750 30.25 9

"Evolving" settings may be a good thing, but would be nice if just one official site or for the sites to agree.

I am at 6.904 2.454 0.737 (slot) 30.5 9 now and have been since 6/15. Ski is perfect for me. Gets better the shorter I go yet seems to help me out when I screw up. Finally got my average into 38. With the lime in our lake not sure I could change them now anyway, fin may be stuck but I'm good with that.

• Baller
I liked Rini #'s on the 69.5 as the longer shallower fin helped the ski finish with angle better, but liked Rossi #'s on the 68. I'm sure there is every # in between for every skier style and build. The 9100 is the only ski I ever road pretty much stock settings on, just a few thousandths shorter and a fuzz deeper and forward.

• Administrators
@jas Change of pace. Someone wanted my green one so I traded it for a new blue one (sort of). Since it was new I had to ski on it a little. It is so darn good.

• Baller
My 2014 has a small de-lamination problem ( it was an early version ) a new 2015 is on the way. Vapor is an awesome ski and Radar is a top notch operation. If you are looking for a new ski , save your self time and money and give this ski a shot. I realize most of you are packing it in for the year , so maybe next spring.

• Baller

@Horton- in your review you mentioned that to make the offside work better you need to have a high roll angle and front foot pressure. What is your definition of "roll angle" and what is the best way to create it.

The design of this ski (and the settings used for this review) requires that the skier not approach the ball with a combination of low roll angle* and insufficient front foot pressure followed by an attempt to drive forward and turn all at once. This will cause the ski to stall. In other words, to turn off side smoothly on the Vapor the skier needs to drive forward and arc in early. The dynamics of short line skiing are such that this behavior is only a problem when the skier is early and drawing a path parallel to the boat.

• Baller

@Chuck_Dickey Send a PM to @Eddie Roberts for the absolute latest. I believe the Rini settings he posted up the thread in Nov are still current. I run the Rini's with a little less length, a little more depth and a touch back. Reflex with R rear, 68", 215+lbs. Took a couple months to get just right but haven't changed the fin in over a year. Just wing and binding as water temps change. Shorter I go, better it is, ski is crazy good, unfortunately I am not but working on it.

I think the Rini carries out better and flows better through the turn into the wakes, likes "power off" turns, nimble and light. The Rossi seems more start-stop with "power on turns", just didn't work for me at all and made the ski seem big and plankish. Most everyone I know on it are close to Rini but a couple really rock it with the Rossi. Only problem I find with this ski is it works fine with wack settings so the "magic" ones can be elusive.

• Baller
I have skied a few seasons on both. a 67 green vapor and a 66.5" A2. I much prefer the Vapor but the A2 was a very good ski. I think more skiers will take to the vapor compared to the A2 if you're learning to ski the right way. The A2 was easier to muscle around with poor technique for me.