Prostar 2014 for sale

Chuck_Dickey

• Baller
@chuck_dickey - that is one BEAUTIFUL BOAT! WOW. Fit and finish is pristine - at least by the view of the pictures. One detail in your pictures that really stood out was how they lifted the boat from the front lifteye. The pickle fork is quite an enabler for stability. Well thought out and engineered MasterCraft!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Just skied behind Chucks new Master Craft. Wow! It is all that the early reviews say it is. Fit and finish, driveability, comfort, and the ski wake......exceptional. He chose the red and gray metalflake. Beautiful. From the water with the sun shining on the hull is really spectacular.

Thanks for the tow Chuck. Look forward to my next ride behind it.

@rq0013

This new ProStar has a number of chines and strakes which give it lift and helps breaks surface tension, kind like the S-2 ski concept from HO and others. I think MC located these feature in a better spot than CC did and this help the prop be more efficient in this boat and gives better fuel economy. Maybe Marcus Brown or someone from MC will chime in on this?

This new Prostar is 6" shorter and 6" wider and rides a bit higher in the water than my 2011 PS197. It also accelerates quicker out of the hole and comes up to speed quicker than my PS197. The boat weighs about 2,800#.

I've only had my ProStar for two days, pulled about 10 sets between 30, 32 & 34mph, 20 minutes of tricking at 16, 17 & 18mph and a several demo drivers have taken it through the course = about 10 gallons of gas.

34 mph = 3,650 rpm's in the new ProStar, I think the CC200 is more like 4,200 to 4,400rpm @34mph in their 5.7L boat and I think that's why the CC drinks more gas. I'm sure some of the CC guys on BOS can give a better rpm Vs mph number.

Seems like I heard most of the CC200 Promo guys needed to go to the 6L motor and a different prop to get better fuel consumption. I think the 6L motor is about a $7,000 upgrade?

Only reasons for a 6.2L in the new ProStar is high elevation or WR jumpers.

If you're in So. Cal in the near future I'd be happy to give you a demo.

@rq0013

Here is a picture of the bottom of the new ProStar, shows the chines and strakes I mentioned above. This shot is one I took on the assembly line before they installed the underwater gear in my new ProStar. As you can see, lots of new shapes compared to the PS197 and much different than the CC200.

• Baller

I also had the pleasure to ski and drive @Chuck_Dickey 's awesome new ProStar yesterday at the Quarry. This boat is the real deal in design, fit and finish, driving and skiing. The thought that went into the design of the interior and ergonomics can best be appreciated in the boat and comparing with your current boat routine. It's like they took the long list of minor annoyances we all live with and solved the problems. Hard to reach stuff like drain plug, impeller, oil filter, rudder assembly, etc is all simple.

The sight lines for the driver are unobscured and intuitive. The interface on the touch screen for Zero Off and other info is simplicity itself. If you have a smart phone you already know how to use it.

The wakes are as good as has been reported at slower speeds and longer lines. I skied my usual opener of 15 off at 30 mph and the wakes were very soft and low. Dropped the speed and ran 28 mph and still very soft and low. Ran a couple more at 30 mph and then 32 mph. Definitely best wakes at these lower speeds that I've encountered. The boat was not sensitive to crew size either. My first set was just Chuck driving and the second set had Brad driving with Chuck in the observer seat... Felt no distortion or difference in either configuration.

My usual boats at the Quarry are my 2007 Malibu RLXi with ZO and various 5 - 15 year old Nautiques with PP. I have skied behind the 200 and TXi and liked them as well. The MC 197 was not my favorite. The new ProStar is now my favorite!

• Baller

Question:

I saw the boat at Toronto boat show. It appeared that the oil hose used for draining oil from the bottom of the oil pan would not reach the drain hole - which has been moved forward.

Is this the case? Not a big deal, but I am curious.

@Jordon

You are correct, the plug was moved farther forward and MC didn't want a bunch of extra hose coiled up in the engine compartment. So this is just an access hose to the lowest part of the pan.

I always use a suction pump when changing my oil, it's a much cleaner way to go. I just connect to the installed hose rather than stick my suction pump hose down the dipstick tube, you get more oil out that way. Every time I used the drain plug in the bilge, the hose never came far enough through to reach the waste oil drain pan and always made a mess.

I use one like this and it works great. Shop around and I'm sure you can find it cheaper.

@baja

Great day at the Quarry, I had a lot of fun with you guys. You skied very well behind this new ProStar, better than I've seen you ski before! It was a kick to see the grin on your face from one end of the course to the other! Glad you liked my new baby!

You need to come up to Cheyenne once I get the boat to its new home.

• Baller
Had the pleasure to ski behind this boat on Friday at the Pacific Slalom-Radar- Brooks Brothers demo day. Unbelievable boat. Set a PB by running two 35's in the set. Have only run 35 once in my life previously. Already had the Vapor ski so really just went over to set it up better and get some good coaching. When I left,the main thing I kept asking myself was....how can I make this happen ? Will be a few years still, but this is for sure the best slalom wake I have ever skied (haven't been behind Horton's Centurion yet). Crossing behind the boat was like being behind a small outboard boat with power. The wake was not even a factor. As far as slalom goes,Mastercraft nailed it. Thanks for letting us use your boat @Chuck_Dickey‌

• Baller
First thing @Horton said was "hmm.. ski school driving" so @skierjp could be right,but John said Brooks probably wouldn't do that. I'd agree. Thanks @colo_skier , but this is about Chucks new MC , so if you haven't had a chance to ski behind one you are missing out.

• Baller_

I've skied the new MC just a handful of times. The wake is great. I've been experimenting with a 22 off/32 mph opener to eliminate tournament jitters this year and the MC wake is great there. I would never have tried that pass as an opener with the 197. It also seems to me the ZO pull even feels a bit better/smoother (at least at C2), even though I wouldn't expect it to be noticeably different.

I've driven the boat just once and mostly below 32 mph. It seemed OK to me, just average, but so does slow speed driving anyway. I think I'd need to spend more time and get some driving at 34 and 36 with some short line skiers before really forming an opinion.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@MISkier‌ "I've driven the boat just once and mostly below 32 mph. It seemed OK to me, just average, but so does slow speed driving anyway. I think I'd need to spend more time and get some driving at 34 and 36 with some short line skiers before really forming an opinion.

I drive lots of different boats, brands and years and my new ProStar is the best IMHO. I know there are rudder adjustments that can make this boat feel like it's on rails. I had the opportunity to speak with Will Bush and he told me how to dial it in. These picture show a couple of washers I installed to take out any play in the linkage. Worked great, thanks Will.

• Baller
As @Chuck_Dickey‌ said a lot of people skied great behind it including myself, I had driven a different one last summer, but didn't get to ski behind the new prostar until this past weekend, first set behind it ever and broke my PB! It also drove extremely nice, super smooth down the course and no need for a lot of corrections!! Such a great boat so glad we could have it at Creekside for the Pacific Slalom Clinic thanks again Chuck!

@Colebrah‌ Thanks, that means a lot coming from an extreme shortline skier like you. Happy you set your new PB behind my new ProStar! Yours makes the eight new PB in just two events!

Thanks again for hosting the Wilson Bros. clinic! Great event set up by Steve Cesnauskas at Pacific Slalom.

I think it was a great success for MasterCraft Boats, Pacific Slalom, Radar Skies, and the Wilson Bros. That was terrific to watch Brooks and KC ski and coach, everyone loved them and their style. It was amazing to watch KC run up the line through 2@41 behind my boat. I should have had him sign it! Damn!

@lottawatta‌ I'm in the process of dialing in my new LXI... It has a bit of play in the steering as well. I'm replacing the titl column (bearing was loose on the shaft) and when I get into the rudder arm to grease it I will be trying the nylon washer trick to tighten things up even more. Great idea!

@Chuck_Dickey‌ great post and pics -thanks!

• Baller
@kstateskier Not to derail this thread off topic, but you can take 100% of play out of the linkage with the use of plastic/nylon flange bearings and bushings. I will admit I have used stainless shims of various thickness to take up a fairly large gap, but I always try to use nylon. It won't bind up, corrode, nor cause premature wear on the mating surfaces. It is hard to tell from Chuck's pictures up above, but those washers don't look stainless. If they are not, I would be worried about corrosion and wear over the long term. Just my 2 cents.

I think all the boat companies use standard parts unless customized is required. Using standard parts sometimes requires field modification necessitated by the end users application.

Strictly customer preference, just like those that like a lot of rudder load and others don't want any.

• Baller
Chuck, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your 'fix' for the sloppy steering using the washers. I used nylon washers and my Prostar is a completely different boat. Now when I move the steering wheel while on the course, I feel immediate movement of the boat. Thank you