How much gas do skiers use?

IheartJump

• Baller_

I try to consume as much boat and car gas as possible with the hopes of leaving the biggest frign carbon footprint in order to advance global warming. I like to ski when it's warm out.....

As absurd as my comment is, so to is a far left leaning source. It would have been an interesting poll without the heavy leaning political slant left or right. Good luck with the thread.'

PS I picked the "blank" option but was registered as 300-500

• Baller
You had to make us think about it, didn't you? 30000+ miles/year at maybe an average of 20mpg (between the Volvo, F350 and Beetle), plus gas for 100 hours on the boat, plus a handful of tanks in the Chevy, probably between 1500 and 2000. Of course that supports the 4 of us, and includes a fair amount of carpooling. The sheer amount of seat time boggles the mind...

• Baller

300-400 gallons a year it's pretty mild if you ask me. I used over 1000 gallons in my truck. I figure about 120 gallons skiing the course and then another 420 gallons in my own boat. Granted the 420 in my boat wasn't all used by me. Last year I spent $4700 on gas according to my credit card and that doesn't count time skiing on a slalom course.

None of that includes a work trip to Japan and Israel or any other form of public transportation...not sure how much fuel my butt burns on those things.

• Baller
Let's just say my water based fuel burn pales vs. my total. With two auto's and the number of miles we put on per year, factoring in fuel mileage we are at a good 2000 gallons. I also put about 150 hours on the combo of two boats and if I'm burning 6 an hour which I think is conservative that's another 900. I also dump 15-20 gallons/hour thru the airplane I'm lucky to fly for 50 hours/yr for another 1000 gallons. Let's call it 4000.

• Baller_

I use more than 700 gallons during just the ski season (mid-April to late October) alone. That is across two trucks and the boat. Boat hours are about 50 per year. At about 4.5 gallons per hour, that is 225 gallons right there. That does not count gas used in the boats of my ski partners during the season or the boat at our club's weekly ski league.

My gas usage in the truck is high. I drive 100 miles one-way to ski at least twice a week during June - Sept.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
My favorite saying is "someone is having a real problem today" the fact you have a boat or access to one to burn gas in is a beautiful thing! Things like cancer or a child or spouse dying is a real problem - not burning too much gas is a NOT A REAL problem.

"Do Better..."

• Administrators
My fuel bill so far so far for the year is about $4,500. That is truck and boat gas. Next year will be more as I will have my own boat and not doing any "trade" for rides.

• Baller

I say "Burn it while it's cheap!"

Between my 500+ a year in the boat, family runs 4 snowmobiles (1 turbo that likes it's gas) plus a not so economical Tundra to get me to the snow. Adding snow skiing to the mix this year, so MORE GAS to go to the mountain! Guessing way over 1500 gallons, but who's counting????

My balance is paddle boarding....... yeah that is what I call balance!

• Baller

With my Jetta TDI I get 36MPG real average (44 or so @ ~70 on long highway trips), wife's turbo 4cylinder get's 27 real average (surprisingly good) and 7.3L F350 diesel about 16 but don't drive it much anymore. We don't rack up crazy miles so for regular transportation we don't use that much.

Then there's the boat. Now its on a lift in the back yard and its always summer in FL we use it a lot more. Rough calculations seem to show it takes us from quite a bit under 700 to quite a bit over 700. But not going to figure it out, don't want to know. Just keep pouring the liquid gold into it and taking another set. If fuel got crazy expensive think it would get the gas, we have bikes and FL is really flat.

• Baller
I had a running joke w/ co-worker I had a couple years back........there was a small middle eastern country that depended on my skiing & camping every weekend to support their family and it was my duty to keep their lifestyle at the level they had become accustom to!

• Baller
For about a year, my lame attempt to balance my carbon footprint from water skiing, racing cars, and joy riding around in our supercharged Viper was to drive a SmartCar as my daily driver. It made about as much sense as rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Baller
I did not buy my truck (or my boat) to save on gas. To respond to the author of the article, not the original post, we, the U.S., have a huge tracts of land and consequently a much lower population density than our BMW-exporting friends. Our transportation infrastructure is built on the highway system so we own more cars per capita... of course we burn more gas. I often forget, however, that the European rail system runs on unicorns and kittens barfing rainbows.

• Baller

I'm an underachiever. I didn't have a boat for most of this year, I live 8 minutes from work, and my wife works at the same location so we carpool. Combined we used about 300 gallons this year in vehicles and the boat. Living close to work really keeps the miles down considering it's where we go 70-80% of the time we go anywhere.

Next year I plan to fix that though and burn lots of gas on the lake. :-D

I used about 350 gallons this past year on my boat.

I work from home so I don't drive daily, but some how managed to put 20,000 miles on our truck. With a 18 mpg average = just over 1100 gallons.

That's around 1500 gallons!! Oh and my wife has a company car, so I have no clue how much gas she goes through.

• Baller
I burn approx. 1500 GPY in my Tahoe. 19 mpg hwy, 15ish city. 13 pulling the boat. I don't burn much boat fuel, Malibu's don't use much at 34 mph. about 2 gallons/hr. 36 is a different animal. Twice the fuel consumption as 34. I filled the boat up Jan.1 last year and didn't put any in it until May. It was used a bunch too.

• Members

Hahahahahaha.... whatever.

I was personally responsible for powertrain calibration leading and fuel economy development on the Chevy Volt. Anyone want to wager a guess at how many gallons of gas I burned in one year at work alone trying to improve that during development? My personal fuel consumption isn't exactly chump change, but it absolutely pales in comparison to how much I burn at work as an OEM powertrain guy.

Funny fact: I drove my ~700hp twin turbo corvette to/from work when I was working on the Volt fuel economy project.