First ever jump

coxjon

• Baller

My first was at MW Regionals. Never jumped but our best jumper blew his knee in practice and we needed 5 guys to score. I was told the whole knees, trees, freeze and sent onto the water. Landed a 38 footer.

Seemed easy enough so next pass took a cut at it. Man that jump is slippery! I ended up sideways in the air with one hand on the handle, all stretched out like a slalom skier rounded a ball and yelling expletives until impact. That fall sucked.

I had jumped a hand full of time in England but when we went out to the US I went and had a few sets with Tom and June and can honestly say they are awesome. So laid back and they make you feel so welcome. They helped my jumping come on so much. Between them they know their stuff!!

Knees Trees Freeeeeze!

The biggest thing will be to stay on your toes. Its nerve racking because you think you will go forward but think about jumping off a picnic table. You land on your toes (ball of feet) and can keep walking forward. If you land on your heels, you tend to roll backward into the picnic table. This is what helped me land my first jump. The feeling from water to hard stiff jump is really strange the first time and you have to keep everything in your core tight to hold your position.

Hope this helps! Post a video when you do it.

• Baller

@Drewski covered most of the basics, but I wanted to point out what @skier2788 said... Balanced. In other words, first jumps are about zero edging with the skis. You basically are dragged somewhat slowly right over the ramp. With the boat to the right side, there is a tendency to edge and lean slightly away from the boat to stay wide to the left. For plop jumps you cannot be edging like that when you are on the ramp. Any edging and you will be falling to the side as you come off the top of the ramp.

The ramp is more slippery than the water. Skis sit in the water but "on" the ramp. So when plopping on the ramp, your skis must be perfectly flat and your body perfectly centered between them with zero edging.

There is a drill I call the glide. You basically edge out to the left of the boat's wake, wider than where the ramp will be. Then, flatten the skis, get centered, and get into jump stance, and allow the boat to pull you back towards the wake. Even better is to have the boat driver drive to the right side of the slalom boat guides. Then, you can practice your glide timing so that you glide through a set of boat guides perfectly flat, balanced and not on edge.

Given that the boat pulls you back to the right during the perfect glide, you will target the bottom left corner of the ramp and take a path diagonally over the ramp exiting closer to the top right of the ramp. Thus, the first time over, you want to further to the left of the ramp when approaching, then time your glide to meet the ramps bottom left corner.

Jump stance is basically knees and ankles bent, weight on the balls of your feet (a.k.a. on yor toes), hips over your ankles, chest up and slightly forward, head up, handle low and in. "Knees" is an easy reminder of this position, but there is more to it than just that. It is a forward and upright stance with knees and ankles bent.

When you first approach the ramp, you should lean forward into it slightly. Think how you would do the same if you where to run up a mall hill. Since the ramp is more slippery than water, your skis will slide faster once they are on the ramp. By leaning into the ramp, your skis will catch up with your body and be perfectly under you at the top. If you make the mistake of leaning back as you come onto the ramp, your skis will get up in front of you and you will be falling backwards off the top.

So, many people say "trees" because you want your body slightly forward, but your head up. Also, it is best to look past the ramp. If there is an object on the horizon in line with the ramp, then look at that the whole time. Look at it through the approach, on the ramp, in the air, and thought the landing. If you look at the ramp you will drop you head down... Look down, fall down.

The "freeze" of knees, trees, and freeze is about being strong like a statue. You need to keep your muscles flexed and strong in the proper position the whole time: approach, on the ramp, in the air, through the landing. Many people lose their freeze either on the ramp or in the air. Stay like a staue through the whole process.

• Baller

@Drewski covered most of the basics, but I wanted to point out what @skier2788 said... Balanced. In other words, first jumps are about zero edging with the skis. You basically are dragged somewhat slowly right over the ramp. With the boat to the right side, there is a tendency to edge and lean slightly away from the boat to stay wide to the left. For plop jumps you cannot be edging like that when you are on the ramp. Any edging and you will be falling to the side as you come off the top of the ramp.

The ramp is more slippery than the water. Skis sit in the water but "on" the ramp. So when plopping on the ramp, your skis must be perfectly flat and your body perfectly centered between them with zero edging.

There is a drill I call the glide. You basically edge out to the left of the boat's wake, wider than where the ramp will be. Then, flatten the skis, get centered, and get into jump stance, and allow the boat to pull you back towards the wake. Even better is to have the boat driver drive to the right side of the slalom boat guides. Then, you can practice your glide timing so that you glide through a set of boat guides perfectly flat, balanced and not on edge.

Given that the boat pulls you back to the right during the perfect glide, you will target the bottom left corner of the ramp and take a path diagonally over the ramp exiting closer to the top right of the ramp. Thus, the first time over, you want to further to the left of the ramp when approaching, then time your glide to meet the ramps bottom left corner.

Jump stance is basically knees and ankles bent, weight on the balls of your feet (a.k.a. on yor toes), hips over your ankles, chest up and slightly forward, head up, handle low and in. "Knees" is an easy reminder of this position, but there is more to it than just that. It is a forward and upright stance with knees and ankles bent.

When you first approach the ramp, you should lean forward into it slightly. Think how you would do the same if you where to run up a mall hill. Since the ramp is more slippery than water, your skis will slide faster once they are on the ramp. By leaning into the ramp, your skis will catch up with your body and be perfectly under you at the top. If you make the mistake of leaning back as you come onto the ramp, your skis will get up in front of you and you will be falling backwards off the top.

So, many people say "trees" because you want your body slightly forward, but your head up. Also, it is best to look past the ramp. If there is an object on the horizon in line with the ramp, then look at that the whole time. Look at it through the approach, on the ramp, in the air, and thought the landing. If you look at the ramp you will drop you head down... Look down, fall down.

The "freeze" of knees, trees, and freeze is about being strong like a statue. You need to keep your muscles flexed and strong in the proper position the whole time: approach, on the ramp, in the air, through the landing. Many people lose their freeze either on the ramp or in the air. Stay like a staue through the whole process.