Wreckless Endangerment by Fisherman?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

Another post regarding fisherman got me thinking about this incident.

I spoke with another skier on my lake earlier this year while we were alternating in and out of the course (public lake). He mentioned that there had been an incident where a fisherman had attempted, or at least appeared to attempt, to run him over. I didn't think that much about it at the time and suspected he might have just been exaggerating. However, today I started looking around the web and apparently there's even a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I72jJ4wor_w

Granted this was 2008 and may be old news, but that's my lake! I mean, for f***s sake what type of person would do something like that? Scares me a bit to know how far some bassholes might go.

*I originally posted this in another thread, but it seemed off topic so I'm posting it here.

• Baller_
Had a lake neighbor that would literally throw a tennis ball in the turnaround, WHILE WE WERE SKIING, for his dogs to fetch basically forcing us to stop. If it had been him after the ball, I'm not sure we would have stopped the boat. Amazing what people will do.

• Baller
@Horton -only the embedded copy got pulled if you click on the above screen and then immediately click on the title in the upper left corner a new window should open up to the actual you tube site and you can watch the video. if that doesnt work for you do a you tube search for *Fisherman vs Water Skier* and youll find it.

• Baller
I was pulling my brother back in the day, and he had to drop at 2 ball because some a-hole in an IO was trying to destroy our course by running over every ball he could. When he came within just a few feet of running over my brother, it was game on.

• Baller

The interesting thing is the comments on the video. Puts it in a different perspective. Initially, I was thinking, "why would anyone drive into a slalom course?" However, people outside of our sport don't recognize the boundaries of the course or the additional room for safety outside of the buoy width. How many times has a boat driver gone full speed right by a fisherman's trout line marker buoy? No biggie, right. Non-skiers probably don't think about slalom course buoys as anything different. Maybe if there were a series of perimeter buoys to mark the boundary of the course that could be strung out when the course is in use...

Anyway, here are the comments from the youtube video page:

Brad Cox:

Dumb ass redneck, could get somebody killed. You should have sprayed him!!!!

vitro48:

Dumb ass ski boat driver headed right for him slower boats have the right of way. The driver of the ski boat coiuld have taken measure to avoid a close call but they chose not to

sl1ght:

your wake made him slam into the shore probably multiple times. small boats like his aren't designed to be thrashed. Not to mention your boat is much easier to control than his. Avoid smaller boats and kayaks. Share the Water. We are all there for the same reason, because we love the water. just because his fishing doesn't interfere with your Skiing, doesn't give you more of a right to be there. bottom line - talk it out (i fish lake Tillery NC, its a common problem) RESPECT ONE ANOTHER!!

• Baller

The interesting thing is the comments on the video. Puts it in a different perspective. Initially, I was thinking, "why would anyone drive into a slalom course?" However, people outside of our sport don't recognize the boundaries of the course or the additional room for safety outside of the buoy width. How many times has a boat driver gone full speed right by a fisherman's trout line marker buoy? No biggie, right. Non-skiers probably don't think about slalom course buoys as anything different. Maybe if there were a series of perimeter buoys to mark the boundary of the course that could be strung out when the course is in use...

Anyway, here are the comments from the youtube video page:

Brad Cox:

Dumb ass redneck, could get somebody killed. You should have sprayed him!!!!

vitro48:

Dumb ass ski boat driver headed right for him slower boats have the right of way. The driver of the ski boat coiuld have taken measure to avoid a close call but they chose not to

sl1ght:

your wake made him slam into the shore probably multiple times. small boats like his aren't designed to be thrashed. Not to mention your boat is much easier to control than his. Avoid smaller boats and kayaks. Share the Water. We are all there for the same reason, because we love the water. just because his fishing doesn't interfere with your Skiing, doesn't give you more of a right to be there. bottom line - talk it out (i fish lake Tillery NC, its a common problem) RESPECT ONE ANOTHER!!

• Baller

This comment in particular stands out: "slower boats have the right of way". This is true for many states' public water ways. However, in many states there are also laws requiring other boat drivers to stay a specified distance away from people towed in water sports. It could be risky to see how officials might rule fault in such a situation. Further, the official attention to the incident would likely put the course's future on that public water way in jeopardy.

For those who know nothing about slalom courses, they'd expect the ski boat driver to angle away from the smaller boat's path and thus the skier and the smaller boat would maintain a safe distance. However, for slalom skiers, we see the responsibility of the smaller boat driver to angle away from the clear patterned path of the skier. The smaller boat's ability to change course quickly is not sufficient for a late decision. If the smaller boat's driver were not paying significant attention to the skier and ski boat, he may not have realized that they were going to be so close. It takes about 20 seconds from deep water to gates and less than 16 more seconds to get to 6-ball. Thus, the smaller boat may have been already on its path across the course for a few minutes while the skier and ski boat were dropped at the end. Then, in less than 36 seconds, the skier was headed right at the small boat near six ball.

Just sayin' - a small boat driver who doesn't know about slalom courses and who isn't paying much attention could easily end up too close without malice.

• Baller

This comment in particular stands out: "slower boats have the right of way". This is true for many states' public water ways. However, in many states there are also laws requiring other boat drivers to stay a specified distance away from people towed in water sports. It could be risky to see how officials might rule fault in such a situation. Further, the official attention to the incident would likely put the course's future on that public water way in jeopardy.

For those who know nothing about slalom courses, they'd expect the ski boat driver to angle away from the smaller boat's path and thus the skier and the smaller boat would maintain a safe distance. However, for slalom skiers, we see the responsibility of the smaller boat driver to angle away from the clear patterned path of the skier. The smaller boat's ability to change course quickly is not sufficient for a late decision. If the smaller boat's driver were not paying significant attention to the skier and ski boat, he may not have realized that they were going to be so close. It takes about 20 seconds from deep water to gates and less than 16 more seconds to get to 6-ball. Thus, the smaller boat may have been already on its path across the course for a few minutes while the skier and ski boat were dropped at the end. Then, in less than 36 seconds, the skier was headed right at the small boat near six ball.

Just sayin' - a small boat driver who doesn't know about slalom courses and who isn't paying much attention could easily end up too close without malice.

• Baller
@ToddL -I have been told by a friend who knows maritime law that a boat towing a water skier has right of way over all other vessels except a sail boat because of the potential danger to the skier whose path is supposedly controlled by the tow boat. a sail boat is the only exception because its controlled by the wind.

• Baller
@ToddL -I have been told by a friend who knows maritime law that a boat towing a water skier has right of way over all other vessels except a sail boat because of the potential danger to the skier whose path is supposedly controlled by the tow boat. a sail boat is the only exception because its controlled by the wind.

• Baller

I'd be less concerned with the guy who is intentionally buzzing you than the clueless person who cuts right behind the boat or follows the skier. At least the guy buzzing knows the skier is there.

Guy could have been making a point about getting rocked every time the ski boat turned around, and on public water I think that ski boats are worse than jetskis as far as violating distance to shore requirements. (trying to get that bit of calm water just inside the bounds)

In any event, everyone has to live together and if we start running into issues with other boats we'll either talk to them if it seems like they would respond well to that or find somewhere else to be for a while.

• Baller

I'd be less concerned with the guy who is intentionally buzzing you than the clueless person who cuts right behind the boat or follows the skier. At least the guy buzzing knows the skier is there.

Guy could have been making a point about getting rocked every time the ski boat turned around, and on public water I think that ski boats are worse than jetskis as far as violating distance to shore requirements. (trying to get that bit of calm water just inside the bounds)

In any event, everyone has to live together and if we start running into issues with other boats we'll either talk to them if it seems like they would respond well to that or find somewhere else to be for a while.

• Baller_

I run into this from time to time on the public lake I frequent. Had a guy and his wife do nearly the exact same thing except he crossed in front of the boat. When We stopped to talk to the guy he was clueless and also could care less and even got abusive until I told him his tinnie weighed about 600 pounds where this ski Nautique was over 2400 pounds.

Normally We welcome the fishermen hanging out around our course but some times they just dont know any better and do things like sit and fish right between 2 and 4 ball..... Thats when we break out the trick skis. Keeping legal distance tricking at 18 MPH they get tired of their boat ride and leave.....Normally!

• Baller_

I run into this from time to time on the public lake I frequent. Had a guy and his wife do nearly the exact same thing except he crossed in front of the boat. When We stopped to talk to the guy he was clueless and also could care less and even got abusive until I told him his tinnie weighed about 600 pounds where this ski Nautique was over 2400 pounds.

Normally We welcome the fishermen hanging out around our course but some times they just dont know any better and do things like sit and fish right between 2 and 4 ball..... Thats when we break out the trick skis. Keeping legal distance tricking at 18 MPH they get tired of their boat ride and leave.....Normally!

• Baller

@mwetskier - I googled looking for the rule/law which confirms your friend's interpretation, I could not find it. I did find some state-specific language but nothing clearly granting right of way to boats towing skiers.

There was a law in Maine that stated ski boats towing skiers in an "authorized" "exhibition" had the right of way when the "warning flags" were present. LOL - I wonder if you sanction your water skiing practice on a public lake, that could qualify as authorized exhibition. Probably not.

If anyone can locate a link to an official site which confirms right of way for ski boats, please post it.

• Baller

@mwetskier - I googled looking for the rule/law which confirms your friend's interpretation, I could not find it. I did find some state-specific language but nothing clearly granting right of way to boats towing skiers.

There was a law in Maine that stated ski boats towing skiers in an "authorized" "exhibition" had the right of way when the "warning flags" were present. LOL - I wonder if you sanction your water skiing practice on a public lake, that could qualify as authorized exhibition. Probably not.

If anyone can locate a link to an official site which confirms right of way for ski boats, please post it.

Our course is on a public lake. We were bothered by one fishman all summer. We ski 6am to 730am. There is no one out there but 2 ski boats and 4 skiers. At 630am these guys start trolling down 2,4,6 then go down the boat guides when we spun at the end. I am driving, I see these guys and don't know what to. My skibud yells at me to hit them, not going to kill anyone, so I go around the outside of the turn balls. My skier had words with them as he passed. Can't talk to these Wally's, we go home, wipe the boat and go to work.

Our course is on a public lake. We were bothered by one fishman all summer. We ski 6am to 730am. There is no one out there but 2 ski boats and 4 skiers. At 630am these guys start trolling down 2,4,6 then go down the boat guides when we spun at the end. I am driving, I see these guys and don't know what to. My skibud yells at me to hit them, not going to kill anyone, so I go around the outside of the turn balls. My skier had words with them as he passed. Can't talk to these Wally's, we go home, wipe the boat and go to work.

@ToddL the rule being referred to is not specific to a boat towing a skier or other water sports, what it states is that the a vessel with restricted maneuverability, the tow boat in this case, has the right of way. The rule can be found in the USCG inland waterways rules of the road, as well as in the 33CFR

@ToddL the rule being referred to is not specific to a boat towing a skier or other water sports, what it states is that the a vessel with restricted maneuverability, the tow boat in this case, has the right of way. The rule can be found in the USCG inland waterways rules of the road, as well as in the 33CFR

• Baller
@Jody_Seal Hopefully your suggestion about the trick ski practice will be the rebirth of that event. Picture a bunch of M3/M5 former slalom geeks with trick skis. They may even get to the point that they like Eric. LOL

• Baller
@Jody_Seal Hopefully your suggestion about the trick ski practice will be the rebirth of that event. Picture a bunch of M3/M5 former slalom geeks with trick skis. They may even get to the point that they like Eric. LOL

• Baller

Normally my gut reaction would be someone gets that close to my skier and the follow up conversation is going to be unpleasant for them.

In this case I would ease back...the evidence is the video. Just go take it to the sheriff....you have the registration number, video of the driver, and video of how close he came to causing physical harm not to mention the fact that he didn't care. No brainer for law enforcement.

Regardless of whether or not the other boater feels you infringed on his rights in any way, he took matters into his own hands and put an individuals life at risk...no brainer.

• Baller

Normally my gut reaction would be someone gets that close to my skier and the follow up conversation is going to be unpleasant for them.

In this case I would ease back...the evidence is the video. Just go take it to the sheriff....you have the registration number, video of the driver, and video of how close he came to causing physical harm not to mention the fact that he didn't care. No brainer for law enforcement.

Regardless of whether or not the other boater feels you infringed on his rights in any way, he took matters into his own hands and put an individuals life at risk...no brainer.

• Baller_

A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were skiing on a course in the Grand River near Lansing. The portion of the river with the course is about 100 yards wide. From the launch we saw (and heard) a real racing hydroplane. Sure enough, he came barreling down the river at what seemed to be 100 mph (Michigan inland waterway speed limit is 50 mph). My brother-in-law was skiing as the hydroplane blasted by the course. He dropped and, before I could pick him up, the boat came back even faster and was teetering on each sponson as it screamed by again. All I could think about was a sudden catch by the hull that would cause the boat to dart in our direction. There would be nothing we could do. We followed him down the river to talk. He said he had a race coming up and had just done some engine work that needed break-in and testing. We suggested another, unoccupied part of the river. He wasn't trying to cause problems, just completely clueless and probably overconfident in his ability to handle that boat with guaranteed safety for all.

I've had many a jet skier follow right directly behind our skier and emulate the slalom pattern for wake jumping. I've had fisherman doing doughnuts in the course for 10 minutes and even had one drive right across the course at 3 ball in front of the boat while I was skiing through the course. Public water is just that way. I've given up skiing or even pulling the kids tubing on the smaller lakes. Bigger lakes or private water now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were skiing on a course in the Grand River near Lansing. The portion of the river with the course is about 100 yards wide. From the launch we saw (and heard) a real racing hydroplane. Sure enough, he came barreling down the river at what seemed to be 100 mph (Michigan inland waterway speed limit is 50 mph). My brother-in-law was skiing as the hydroplane blasted by the course. He dropped and, before I could pick him up, the boat came back even faster and was teetering on each sponson as it screamed by again. All I could think about was a sudden catch by the hull that would cause the boat to dart in our direction. There would be nothing we could do. We followed him down the river to talk. He said he had a race coming up and had just done some engine work that needed break-in and testing. We suggested another, unoccupied part of the river. He wasn't trying to cause problems, just completely clueless and probably overconfident in his ability to handle that boat with guaranteed safety for all.

I've had many a jet skier follow right directly behind our skier and emulate the slalom pattern for wake jumping. I've had fisherman doing doughnuts in the course for 10 minutes and even had one drive right across the course at 3 ball in front of the boat while I was skiing through the course. Public water is just that way. I've given up skiing or even pulling the kids tubing on the smaller lakes. Bigger lakes or private water now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

This whole thing sucks, because it seems like any confrontation between skiers and fishermen ends in the senseless and cruel slaughtering of perfectly red and round buoys.

Now I hold my tongue in the pursuit of slowing the extinction of these beautiful round floating creatures.

This whole thing sucks, because it seems like any confrontation between skiers and fishermen ends in the senseless and cruel slaughtering of perfectly red and round buoys.

Now I hold my tongue in the pursuit of slowing the extinction of these beautiful round floating creatures.

• Baller
@Wish said,

Had a lake neighbor that would literally throw a tennis ball in the turnaround, WHILE WE WERE SKIING, for his dogs to fetch basically forcing us to stop. If it had been him after the ball, I'm not sure we would have stopped the boat. Amazing what people will do.

Man, sounds like he would have been endangering his own dogs in this case. What if someone hadn't noticed or if he just trying screwing with the wrong person on a bad day. Poor dogs.

• Baller
@Wish said,

Man, sounds like he would have been endangering his own dogs in this case. What if someone hadn't noticed or if he just trying screwing with the wrong person on a bad day. Poor dogs.

• Baller_
@DefectiveDave This was over a decade ago but he was putting his dogs in harms way on purpose. In order to stop us from skiing. One cloudy windy day, wife driving me skiing, he tossed the ball out while were at the opposite end of the course. When we got back to the other turn around we had no idea he had tossed the ball out. The dog (dalmatian) was already going after it, but impossible to see in the chop and gray that day as he was essentially camoed having a black and white head. Missed him by several feet. Needless to say, words were spoken that day and thank goodness I had my wife there to keep me in the boat. If I had ended up on his dock..... He cut way back on this appalling behavior. But still did it occasionally, but in pain sight. Pisses me off just thinking of it.

• Baller_
@DefectiveDave This was over a decade ago but he was putting his dogs in harms way on purpose. In order to stop us from skiing. One cloudy windy day, wife driving me skiing, he tossed the ball out while were at the opposite end of the course. When we got back to the other turn around we had no idea he had tossed the ball out. The dog (dalmatian) was already going after it, but impossible to see in the chop and gray that day as he was essentially camoed having a black and white head. Missed him by several feet. Needless to say, words were spoken that day and thank goodness I had my wife there to keep me in the boat. If I had ended up on his dock..... He cut way back on this appalling behavior. But still did it occasionally, but in pain sight. Pisses me off just thinking of it.

• Baller

I've always heard any vessel towing someone/something has right of way over anything other than a sailboat or when overtaking. However, most of that is implied and not directly stated. If you want to get real technical, both boats are required to yield to the starboard side since they are approaching each other at an unsafe distance of less than 100 feet as is the law in GA. Granted in some states, I've heard as low as 50 feet to land and boats but it's usually still at least 100 feet with a skier. In this case, the ski boat can't yield since it would be yielding into shore and therefore would put the skier at an unsafe distance to the shore.

In this case, it is totally the fisherman's fault but let's not get high and mighty because that's not always the case.