Is Florida The Best Place In The World To Live And Ski?

ozski

• Baller

Can't imagine living down there year round, moved my folks down to Naples in the middle of July one year and I'd never go down there in the summer again. Only took them 3 summers to realize that they wanted no part of Florida in the summer either and bought a place up north so they could split their seasons.

As for the gators and snakes, I guess they don't tend to go after people but swimming with the gator that is in my FIL's ski lake doesn't really excite me.

Living in FL since 1990 I can definitely say I love it here. I think the north Tampa area is still a hidden gem when it comes to abundance of private lakes (Lutz & Land 'o Lakes areas). Close enough to commute to Tampa for work and lakefront property still relatively inexpensive. As for Orlando....MEH! After being there from '99-2013 I don't think I would move back. Living in Gainesville now and love it here although the good ski lakes are all 30-40 minutes away and I no longer have access to a course.

• Baller_

I enjoy Florida every time I visit and have seriously begun to consider moving there. It will just take some more research, job possibilities, and a little time to convince everyone else to do it (wife, high school age daughter). This last visit in April, I really didn't feel like returning to Michigan.

I'm not kidding myself about hurricanes, torrential rains, gators and snakes. But, I think I can manage, mitigate, or acclimate to most of it. Challenges other than blizzards, bitter cold, and ice storms might be a nice change of pace.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Supporting Member
I am pretty interested in moving to a warmer climate some day, but FL is not on my radar at all. North Carolina is probably the most realistic spot (intersecting places I and my wife would want to live), but one of my personal favorites is Austin TX.

• Baller
@ Horton and so do people that just visit. I was stuck at couple at 38 last year then went to Chet's for a few days. Even though I ran into a stretch of bad weather I came within a 1/2 ball of running it. Gotta love that water. ( OK, the coaching too)

• Members
If/when @MS and @Mrs_MS‌ move to FL our course will have to go in 1 month later (@MS is in the water before all the ice is gone) and we will be down our best driver.

• Baller
I go to Florida, love it there, but get very nervous about the wildlife, very nervous, had one close call, never recovered fully, but can someone tell me why ARIZONA is not a popular destination for waterskiers, hardly any water ski schools or places where you can turn up and get a tow ?

• Baller
You guys wouldn't like it...too many scantily clad women roaming around, flat water, slalom courses on just about every lake , and too much sunshine. This is not for you. Move along...nothin to see here people...

• Baller
@Stevie Boy...Arizona is awesome weather wise, but it's also a natural desert, so there just isn't much water. Maybe close to 5 Million people in Phoenix and only a few lakes...makes for pretty crowded water. I'm not sure why there aren't more manmade ski lakes as they have in Buckeye, or Santan, but I assume it is expensive to keep a lake full of water in the desert. I've often wondered the same as you, and assumed the aformentioned reasons. I lived in Tucson for five years...skied twice...both times after a 2+ hour drive to a crowded lake in Phoenix...

• Baller
I have heard rumors that the cost to maintain water levels in az lakes is close to 10,000 per month to buy water. Just a rumor but I don't think it is to far off

• Baller
If a guy wasn't in the central part of the state and could figure out the hunting situation it would be very very tempting what with all the fishing and soft water year round. But I doubt my northern butt could handle summer in the middle of the state, I about died from the humidity in September!

• Baller_
Best combo: Lake house in the East for June through September, Florida real estate for October through May. My wife has relocated based on that rotation. My law license isn't transferable, so I have to suck up the cold for a few more years, but with plenty of long weekends in Celebration.

Lpskier