Your First Jobs

Edbrazil

Worked at a a parking and car rental business near the airport parking customers cars, washing rental cars and shuttling customers to and from the airport on the weak ends, while in high school. Pretty cool as a 16 year old to park all the different variety of cars. Did the same at a larger rental/ parking company a couple years later during summers from college. Worked part time as a life guard at the college pool after getting my water safety instructors. After college, insurance claims with same company until I retired.

Binding assembly at Composite Structures Corporation (EP Skis) for the Summer of 1982. Interesting summer with some interesting characters. Fond memories of skiing out at Lake Tapps with Roger Teeter. Biggest foot in mouth moment when this cocky 16 year old told Roger his new test ski felt like an old Combo Ski (this later became the short lived GX3 so I may have been right). I quickly became more diplomatic and spent many hours on the water with Rodger over the next few years.

• Baller
@skosney I still have a GX3 with an adjustable front binder and toe plate...use it as a guest ski for recreational friends who may stop by, and also as a barefoot step out ski. We thought it sucked, too, after loving our EP Comp and our EP Fx200

Corn de-tasseler starting as early as they would take us (I think 12 or 13); then waiting tables at a local greasy spoon. Both of those jobs required being at work by 6am. My dad was very "encouraging" to have me and my sister working - he would make sure we got where we needed to be on time. When high school came, I finally landed a job at a vet clinic cleaning kennels and helping out. I was also a 3 sport athlete in high school, and a straight A student. I didn't work during the weeks during school, but held a weekend job all year round and worked all summer, every summer - even through college. In college, I would work the breaks at the research facilities to make some extra cash. These early hard jobs are crucial to building work ethic, teaching life lessons, and creating responsibility.

• Supporting Member

Work ethic? Responsibility!? How will that leave time to ski!!?

:)

Being a little more serious: I'm amazed at how many people don't get the most basic concepts about being a valuable employee, starting with reliably showing up!

• Baller
Age 12-15 cutting lawns, 15+ Bus Boy, Cook, Waiter Provino's in ATL (OB I bet you know it!?). First job in College, 'Ski Host' at local ski hill, greet people in the morning, help them get rental gear lift tix etc..... answer silly questions like "no ma'am I'm sorry we don't give refunds because it's snowing". My boss told me between 10AM and 3PM he wanted to see me skiing, helping people with 'yard sales', and in the singles line catching rides with customers and getting their feedback....nothing else. Great Gig!