What would you pay for a pylon mounted camera that worked perfect?

If you had a mount that always kept the skiier perfectly centered, and reduced vibrations by ~90% and most importantly didn't transmit any rope shock to the camera, how much would you pay? Films in 1080p and has adjustable zoom. Just wondering if there is any interest before I work on a proof of concept? Bear in mind that existing high end mounts cost close to $300 without a camera.

• Baller

Kinda depends on size and since it sounds like you're trying to include the camera as well, what features the camera has as well. I've dreamed up lots of options to do what you're talking about and came up with ideas everywhere from super ghetto to extremely elaborate to high tech. Everything I thought of couldn't be mounted to the pylon since it moves pretty violently at times which ultimately makes the system depend on the camera's ability to filter vibration instead of mechanics. Most of my elaborate ideas would be in the way for anything but a specific photo shoot.

Ultimately, I settled on the Trakker P3 and a JVC HM65BU. This was using about 5-6 different cameras and flip flopping between the original Trakker mount as well.

• Baller

I use wakeye plus panasonic hxwa30.

Expensive. Yes but it is on my coaching budget so it is wort it.

Will pay more with camera.

My requirment spec fo an ultimate camera solurion would be

-Mounted out of the way. For example close to mirror

-Automatically start/stop filming at 75m bois

-Store metadata such as coordinates from google maps

Weather conditions

Boat speed, zo settings

Line lenght (film rope color - recognition?)

Runner. Name or voice.

-Follow skiier

-Can zoom in

-One click mount

-Automatically adjust to object

-Cheap

-Durable

-Watet proof

-???

B-)

• Baller
i wouldnt pay anything for a pylon mounted camera that worked perfectly because i dont think one will never exist. all pylons flex under load and rebound upon release and that will probably always affect the raw video. there may be some image stabilizing software available built into the camera or in post editing but that will not have anything to do with the mechanics of a pylon mount.

• Baller
The least complicated idea I had of getting the camera off the pylon was to mount the camera on the engine box and have the camera on a track with a hole for the rope. I felt like people wouldn't accept a mount that might damage their engine box vinyl though and quit thinking about it. What's out there really isn't bad but finding that perfect setup can be a pain.

• Baller
Pylons are just too shaky. We used to have a servo at the pylon that controlled the boar csmera, and we switched to a remote control in the tower, as even the servo produced shaky results.

• Baller
Forget the moving camera mounts, a very high resolution camera with 120fps and software on-board to auto zoom and track the skier with a fixed lens is what I want. No moving parts.

• Baller
@SkiJay -the original soloshot gets 2 times more good reviews than bad ones and averages 3 and a half stars on amazon. the soloshot2 from this thread has not been shipped yet so there can not be any reviews good or bad. they list both water skiing and wake boarding as sports it will be suitable for and range the tracking at 10 -2000 feet for flat panning and 30 -2000 feet for panning and tilt. they also spec up to 80 degrees per second panning which would work for slalom. since i will never be skiing at 65 off the 10 foot minimum would be fine and if their unit doesnt live up to the publishes specs they will get it back in short order.