What can you tell me about my (old) Iconn Sonic ski?

Hi...old time skier getting back into the mix. Never was skiing competition but me and a few buddies spent a lot of time on the lake and got...decent. At least for us.

Anyway, kids are getting old enough to be able to ski and so we're back in the boat business and I'm dusting off some of my old gear.

I have an Iconn Sonic ski that I purchased from Paul Wiley...a while ago. Maybe..hmm...15 years ago? Hard to remember.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this ski?

Here's a 50 second video hosted on OneDrive account of the ski. THANKS!

• Baller
Looks like you have a lot of wing angle. My old Kidder ski was probably 10 years older than yours when I started back. I got on a new ski and I could tell a difference right away. No experience with the Iconn ski though.

Right on the wing. I'll be reading some of the setup tips in the other threads as I don't think the fin and wing have ever been setup period. My ski prior to this was a Kidder Redline ("Wileys Pro" version).

Had this ski out on the lake this weekend for the first time in a long time. Felt good to get in some turns again. Have a long way to go to get back to any form.

• Baller

People still talk of the Sonic as one of the best skis ever. I know of a big dawg skier who would still ride one today if he could find a few of them.

Stock setup was 2.400 deep, 6.990 long, and .880 dft. 28.25-28.50 front binding for 66. 28.75-29.0 binding for 67.

Interesting. Thanks John, Shane for the info!

John - is this a full carbon ski? It clearly has a carbon deck but the base looks traditional.

Shane - any quick place you can point me to how on to read the setup numbers you provided? I'd love to get it back to the factory specs...suspect it's never been there. This is a 68...any way to figure out the binding settings based on the 66 and 67 info you have?

Drago - cool...where'd you pick yours up? What part of the country are you in?

• Baller

@Silent_Seven The numbers provided by @ShaneH work like this:

2.400 deep - this is a measurement from the bottom of the ski to the deepest point on the fin.

6.990 long - this is a measurement of the length of the fin from the point the leading edge sticks out of the bottom of the ski to the point where the back of the fin meets the bottom of the ski, measured along the length of the bottom of the ski.

.880 dft - this is the measurement of the back of the fin to the tail edge of the ski

28.25-28.50 front binding for 66

28.75-29.0 binding for 67

These are the measurements from the back edge or tail of the ski to the back of the front binding heal cup.

All of these are the numbers in inches.

Watch these videos...

Or look at this resource...

https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/Instructional%20Articles/Slalom/DefinitiveFinMeasuring.pdf

@toddL thank you! I can definitely work from that.

@Drago‌ Any idea what model this? I take it it's not a C6? Not 100% sure what 'carbon' implies...decking or full hull? Guessing full hull....

Edit: Did go seaching....see some good info. Just want to confirm what I have is also a "c-6".

• Baller
@Silent_Seven‌ , its been a while, but if memory serves: that's the first all carbon iconn. They took the red sled ( opus) and made it in carbon. Pull the fin box off and look at the layup. I don't think so, but would need to see better pics of the bottom , particularly behind the boots, to know if it's a c 6.c6 had very different bevels. Beautiful ski , have you been keeping it in a humidor?

@Drago‌ I'll take some detailed pics when I get a break and post them.

Funny comment on the humidor...yeah...almost. Been sitting in my basement in it's case for about 10 years while life reloaded so I could get out skiing again. Looking to put it back to some use, maybe even get some turns at some bouys...

• Baller
Silent_Seven this is not a C6 Sonic , it is the same 99 Sonic that Jamie Beauchesne rode as a youngster. I have a 2002 Iconn Sonic C6 Carbon and got the specs from ShaneH on here last year. I also attached the following. Have not run it yet though as new caliper just came from Santa!

Thanks @Glydon‌. Sounds like we are narrowing down what it is. Do you recall if this ski had a specific model name? Maybe it's just a "sonic" and it's a pre c6 version? Guess I could be in worse company than Jamie's junior ski .

Guessing the posted C6 specs would not apply to this ski....?

When I get a chance, I will still post some more detailed pics of the hull per Drago's request.