World Cup

ral

• Baller

@klindy‌ I use a cup. It really helps with those dusty flip landings and to keep things from getting squished on RTB in warm water.

@ozski‌ That's Barry MacKenzie right? Maybe that dates me. At least @Horton‌ hasn't heard of him so I won't be banned.

Perhaps I should not sign my name on this post.

Australia does have the toughest draw. USA has a tough road but might get through. Mexico is on a roll (I think we have more Mexico soccer fans in San Diego than USA fans). Poor England. Still a wide open tournament.

• Baller
Nice @ozski, I'm only following the World Cup 'cause it's the World Cup, otherwise the diving makes me sick, weak as piss. Barry would show 'em, even Darren Glass would, you don't go down unless you get knocked out with a broken jaw.

• Baller_
When did soccer become so big in the US? Have never really been interested till this year. Daughter is playing HS soccer and totally into this World Cup. Seems its about time the US got interested in the largest World wide sport.

• Baller
In terms of television viewership, soccer has never really been given a chance - no time outs for the money generating commercials. In terms of participation soccer is third only to basketball and baseball. In terms of fanaticism I believe only waterskiing has more devoted fans!

@jipster43 - I don't get that at all, the format works just fine everywhere else in the world. The great thing about football (soccer) is that it's so fluid with so few interruptions. Surely that makes it more appealing. I once tried to watch an American football match which was being played at Wembley. It took so long I was a different shoe size by the time it finished.

• Baller

Sorry guys as much as I like Soccer AFL is a much better spectator sport... For years and years soccer fans have been getting bored stupid and beating up on each otherat games. If the rules were changed, the goals were made bigger and more scoring happened it would be more fun to watch. But seriously I would rather have my son grow up playing soccer as a winter sport, its just getting bigger and bigger here in AU and thats fine by me.

Couldn't disagree more. You cheapen the accomplishment of scoring if you make the goals bigger. No other sport celebrates a goal/score like football (soccer) fans, because of the difficulty involved. You wouldn't get that release of tension like Suarez's 85th minute winner against England (as painful as it was to watch).

• Baller
@Moggie - Each to their own mate, I take your point. My comment comes from the outside looking in, I can't help but draw comparisons and obvious conclusions because I come from an AFL background. Its probably like watching shortline slalom and having no appreciation of the skills.

I care, enough to bust my knuckles punching my garage door last night so maybe I can't ski this weekend, that hurts but not half as much as England's failure yet again.

Good luck to the US on Sunday, if Ronaldo is only half fit and with Pepe suspended you have a shot at getting at least a draw which may take you through assuming Germany beat Ghana and are already qualified when you play them Thursday.

• Baller
Great sport to Play and Watch. I think you appreciate the game more if you have played it and understand what has to happen to move the ball over 100 yards to score a goal. It's not a good American TV Sport because there isn't time for commercials, bathroom breaks or beer runs. But these guys run for 90 minutes straight most are incredible shape, if they fall down and take a little dive to get a breather I get it. Also agree with Moggie you don't need a lot of goals to have really exciting game, the rest of world thinks the game is perfect that way it is now, .... Go USA!

@Jipster, it's pretty much the norm now to add 4-5 mins regardless. US should be OK way group stands, you had perfect line at 4 ball, wobbled at 5 but just need to haul yourself around 6 ugly as you like and you've ran the pass to last 16! Bookies over here (UK) make you 1 to 4 on to qualify.

• Baller
For Chile-Spain, there were 6 additional minutes, and I have never seen that much time before unless there was serious incidents (e.g. Big fight or disputed penalty with serious incidents/expulsions). I think there is some FIFA hidden directives on this...

• Supporting Member

@jipster43 I think there might have been 5 minutes of stoppage. As I understand, it's up to the referee to determine when time is in or out, and so some delays around injuries, set pieces, subs, etc. may add up to some stoppage time at the ref's discretion. (I think.) I think this is a change for the better, because getting stalled to death by a opponent who refuses to actually take their free kicks or slow-walks off the field when subbed for ... THAT is cheesy.

But the bottom line is the U.S. showed elements of a great game, but made some very big errors that just don't fly at the international level. U.S. (mens) soccer is continuing its inch toward respectability, and on balance a draw with a powerhouse like Portugal actually helps.

But I'm still a grumpy fan this morning!!!

@jmvana1 Your man Dempsey is kicking all kinds of ass. I feel his mates let him down last night.

• Supporting Member

Up next is a situation that Arm Chair Game Theorists like me get really interested in: Both the U.S. and Germany essentially "win" by tying:

Germany wins the group with a tie. But theoretically with a loss they might not even make the next round. And a win even has an outside chance of putting nemesis Portugal into the next round, so Germany might actually prefer a tie to a win!

U.S. finishes second (and advances) with a tie. With a loss they probably wouldn't make the next round.

Really the only incentive on either side to try to win is that if the U.S. could outright win, then they would win the group. But with Germany being a better team (and playing like one), that's both unrealistic and extremely risky.

So both teams should agree to intentionally draw. However, I believe intentional draws are still officially frowned upon in the World Cup, which could create a very weird vibe. I'll say this:

If you don't watch much soccer and are wondering what it's all about, then sit this one out. The games in the subsequent rounds will be win-or-go-home, so tune in to those!

@than "intentional draws" are certainly frowned upon, the reason they moved both ties to the same time in final round of group games was to minimise them. however in a scenario like this when both teams have everything to gain from a draw funnily enough that's frequently the result!

In actual fact a narrow loss for the US could also very well take them through in a number of scenarios, this explains it well:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/22/5832970/world-cup-tiebreaker-rules-usa-germany-group-g

If you'd offered Klinsmann this scenario at the start of the tournament he'd have accepted it quicker than I'd accept running 41off!