skiing with a missing finger

LZywicki1

• Baller

after dealing with a major bout of IBS for the last 4 years and finally getting it under control to where I can ski regularly, even entered a couple of tournaments. and now I end up with half of my right pinky finger missing. I know I had a lot of therapy to come,, but what are the chances that I will be able to ski next year with the same intensity that I have been?

Thanks Larry

Larry -----<|

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Look at Clincher style gloves. The pinky isn't a huge load bearing finger IMO as I have a badly jammed one (from a few years back) that is weaker than snot, on my lead offside hand, and it didn't seem to bother me too much. Arthritis and trigger finger in the same hand is another story.

• Baller
@onamission‌ my dad skis with a pariah missing pinky finger. Lost his just above first knuckle. First year he had a problem with it feeling like it was going to explode out the end when he gripped the handle. It has since gone away and hasn't effected his skiing at all.

• Baller

Sorry to hear about that. The pinky really is a under-rated finger as it aids in locking your grip closed but I'm confident that you can overcome it. I'm sure it'll feel weird for a while though. On the plus side I feel like the ring and middle are the strongest combo. When I rock climb and I can only use two fingers, I'll use the ring and middle fingers but if I can hook three fingers, I will use the pinky instead of the index.

A study was done a while back about finger strength and how omitting the ulnar (ring and pinky) fingers affects it. Granted the study focused more on squeezing than the ability to hold on so it may be completely different. I remember they talked about how the ring and pinky comprised more than 50% of overall hand strength and the pinky finger was about 1/3 of the strength by itself. However, they did note that general hand strength was pretty constant between dominant and non-dominant hand but they noticed a pretty wild spread on strength when omitting the little finger on the non-dominant hand.

• Baller

I can tell you from my personal experience, using my grip strengthener, which is pretty stiff, I can easily rip,off 50+ with my right hand, but my left with screwed up pinky and arthritic ring and middle fingers, I struggle to get 20. And it hurts doing it. I have always carried one in my car and would use while driving, and was pretty consistent on either hand. I think this has been hurting my offside lean for a couple years now.

I met Aiden last weekend, super nice guy. I am not sure I am that dedicated to skiing any more.

• Baller_

John O'Neill could run 22/55k and get some at 28, in a tournament, with one arm. He lost his other arm and really messed up one of his legs in a motorcycle accident as a youth. He held the handle in the crook of his arm and held the top of his life jacket with his hand. It seems to me he may have had a lift under his bad leg, but I could be wrong about that. I suggested one time that he could kick butt at Disabled Worlds and he was semi-insulted that I thought he was disabled. Loss of a pinky should not hold you back at all. As my wife says, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

The follow up, though, is sad. He was one of the handful of skiers that died a few years ago in a head-through-handle fall.

Lpskier

• Baller
Hate to hear that. Sorry. I smashed my pinky on my left hand about 12 years ago. I was a fraction of inch from loosing it. Really don't have much of a joint there anymore. Other than blisters on the scars I really don't notice skiing. Is the remaining part of the finger still in good shape? If so I think you'll be up and going sooner than you think. What did the Doc say?

• Baller_

@onamission You may be fine without any special help, but I would think the most you would need would be a clincher style glove that creates some mechanical advantage for your grip. I think masterline makes a glove based on the clincher. How did you lose the pinky?

Had 3 fingers on my right hand re-constructed....index finger reattached, handle wrapped around my hand, at the same time the rope wrapped around my ski tip. @Horton‌ 's dad responsible for my fingers being saved.

Used a clincher glove in my right hand ever since. Every 39.5' off I've ever run has been with that clincher.

Heal well and you'll be back soon enough

• Baller

Don,t remember to much about the accident, work, smashed and cut/ripped between the first 2 knuckles. Lot of tendon work and graphting, about 4 hour surgery. Been to therapy 3 times for dressing changes and brace to emobalize all but thumb and pointer. See the surgeon on Tuesday,he even called while at therapy.

I'm a rightly, right foot forward, left hand down and right up,so pinky is in the middle of the handle. Just got a new rope and handle from Brenda at In-Tow for father's day. Got to use it once, felt great, hope it feels good next year.

@Marcos Brown or anyone else,did you need talk to someone about the emotional issues after an accident.

My wife and I were planning to head back down to SMRR for the national, hopefully we can still make. Would love to meet more of you in person.

Thanks again to all.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Agree with the clincher gloves. One of my ski partners has a considerably weakened hand that stemmed from a broken neck when she was 20 (she is now mid 50s). She was temporarily paralyzed but recovered, except the hand issue is one of the permanent results. She wears the clincher gloves specifically for that reason and I skied with her for a whole season before I even knew she had a problem.

• Baller
@onamission I think the emotional issues will vary from person to person. I consider myself a very independent person but I think I would have some emotional trauma from losing body parts. Don't be afraid to get help even if you're on the fence about it. I've known quite a few people who have gotten help after a traumatic event but have never known anyone who would judge them for it.

• Baller_
A lot of years ago in the mid 80's in a state far far away I knew a skier that was missing a thumb. this guy alway's wore regular ski gloves with the thumb digit cut off and sewed closed. was not a bad skier for the day he could run into 32 off at 36 mph.

• Baller_
@onamission‌ : clincher gloves (or similar) make a world of difference in ability to accept the rope load. Totally transformed my wife's ability to get up and ski as she is also missing part of a finger.

• Baller

Interestingly it seems like you ski with your hands flipped. I'm RFF but LT palm is skyward, how changing that around would impact/benefit you I am uncertain.

There are a variety of finger restorations on the market, and more and more coming out every year. However I would be reluctant to recommend a patient to waterski while wearing one. Might bring it up to these guys and see if they have input.

http://rcmenterprise.com/

• Baller
@BraceMaker‌ Yes I do ski with my hands backwards, I think changing at this time or I should say changing next year would put my right pinky at the end of the handle instead of the middle. ( I hold a hockey stick backwards also) That finger extension looks like it would work great for golf, thanks. Been to the therapy 4 times already and see the surgeon on Wednesday. After the surgery he thinking about 4 months of rehab before I can even go back to light duty at work. I was also told to think about this as demoing retirement.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

Ya, it would definitely put your pinky on the outside. I suppose it comes down to how you picture the load balance between the arms. Traditionally I hear things about arm/hand orientation to balance forces - so in theory the way you do it unbalances the load onto the dominant arm. So in that read of it, flipping those hands around should slip more power onto that other arm.

What area of the country are you located in?

• Baller
Surgeon took out 6 of ? stitches this morning, said that things are looking better than last week and about 6 more weeks of wound therapy then occupational therapy. Can get back in the boat next week.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

If things go well today and they can put the PICC in today I may be able to home for the 6weeks of IV antibiotics.

Was so looking forward to head back down to Texas next month to see the Nationals and celebrate our 30th anniversary but it looks like I will not be able to travel for a couple months.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Jody_Seal, you may be thinking of Russ Clifford, originally from North Dakota, but coached at Rollins College for a number of years. He ripped off his thumb trick skiing but could slalom into -38 at his peak. I had a year or so with a useless thumb after smashing it and was able to adapt and ski at my previous level (way below most Ballers')- onamission- you'll be surprised at how you can adapt after it finally heals- good luck.

• Baller

@Gregy just called me today. He is potentially joining the "less than a full 10" club. Tip of his middle finger was pinched off today. Damn...

I told him that the next time I take a bad crash and he asks me how many fingers he is holding up, I'll have to answer, 1.9.

OK, that was a little underhanded...

wait...

Seriously, though. I wish @Gregy and @onamission a speedy recovery and many excellent passes to come!

• Baller
I have a friend who went through similar infection issues after routine knee surgery. he was on around the clock home delivered iv antibiotics for three or four months. he believes he got the infection at the hospital during the procedure and vows to never have surgery again.