skiing with a missing finger

LZywicki1

• Baller
@onamission‌ I was wondering if they could flush it out. If they use a bag see what brand it is. I work for Hospira. Our big competitor is Baxter. I know we go to great lengths to have a sterile product.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Surgeon removed all the bandages this afternoon, he's very happy. To me it still looks so bad that I can't look more then a couple of seconds. If all goes well with setting up meds. for home care I should be able to go home tomorrow. Still have a long way to go with rehab, fingers are still locked up good.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

@gregy‌ Forgot all about seeing what they using to flush the finger and then the lights went out.

Did find out that one tendon could not be reattach because of the infection, but it shouldn't cause any problems other then not being as strong as it would have been.

How is your recovery going, good I hope.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@onamission next doctor's appointment this Thursday. Seems like the finger is doing ok its still swollen to about twice the size it was before. Pain is minimal as long as I don't bump it into anything.

• Baller

Just got home from seeing the surgeon. Things are starting to look good. If all go well with the infection and PT I have been given the go ahead to ski in September on my 58th birthday.

Things just seemed to slow down and become a little quieter suddenly.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers, without them I wouldn't be this far along.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

@gregy Doctor said that once the wound is headed and all of the scabs are gone the hands good to go in the water, about 3 weeks. Then it's just a matter of getting the fingers to grip a handle.

At the moment the thumb and first finger are about 70% there, middle is about 59% and the ring has a long way to go. Pinky has been left alone after the last surgery. Therapist is making some sort of brace to work the finger today.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

just got back from both the surgeon and the infectious disease doctor. All of the stitches are out and most of the scabs have come off, last iv injection and the PICC line are to be pulled today. Hand can start to get a little wet and soon heat and ice. Now need to work on the rest of the arm along with the fingers. 6h0v2fqj0u4h.jpg

Larry -----<|

• Baller

maybe to err on the side of caution you could wear a blue medical glove under your regular ski glove for a while. those things are really tough and would keep your healing finger tip dry. also in the spirit of laughter being the best medicine maybe buy a pair of those shoes with separate toes so its easier to count to ten -

http://fitnesstips365.info/imgs/am/runningshoes/running-shoes-with-toes-men-1.jpg

• Baller

@onamission‌ that make my finger ache. Glad its doing well. My finger seems to be healing well now. The hardened skin that formed a week or so ago is slowly coming off. The entire finger is still swollen. Top is last week. Bottom is today. vz5s7zohq3rq.jpg

5v9jnl4n30kr.jpg

• Baller
Therapist did a lot of measuring today. Thought things were going great, about 90% close to wrapping all three fingers and thumb around a handle and what I thought was tight. Boy was I wrong, left hand measured 105 ftlb and the right was a whopping 7.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Well I ended up skiing today for the first time since my accident, (11 weeks). Took about 15 minutes to get all the gear on. Getting that right glove on very interesting and a little painful. Masterline Pro-locks did help with the grip. I did take the new pink strada with me and ended up getting around 3 ball at 30 and 15 off. Ski felt very nice at the lower speed and longer rope, hopefully I can get back to 34 and 22-28 off by the end of the season. @ Chris Rossi thanks for the fin settings.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

After getting out Thursday I though things would start to look up. Started having problems that night from looking at the ski handle to check my grip, news gloves and seeing that empty finger on the glove just hanging there. Get a call Friday morning on my way to PT and OT that they somehow ran the boat over and broke the PVC pipe in between the boat guides. Get the parts all set to repair it that afternoon and spend an hour getting it fixed. Saturday morning get up early, skiing at 8, rained good last night. Text to see if where still going, get this back, conditions are poor-hurting bad-will take you if you want. Text back no problem I'm not in the best of shape either. Go down to the lake around 9 to see if things calmed down any and there they are getting done. Fix there course so they can ski and then get left at the dock on my birthday, making it on the top 10 list of bad days. I guess I didn't earn my turn. Need to find a new lake.

Sorry for venting.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
With the strength and grip not coming back as quick as it should be, the mental issues along with losing most of my ski partners because of them. I think it's time to wrap up the year. Put the gear away and get ready to store the boat and dock for the winter. Try and put it all behind me and hope for a better next year.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

Well with are nice weather my wife convinced me to get back out. Ran a pass at this morning at 32 and 15 off on the pink strada. Have to thank my wife for pushing back out and putting up my small issues.

Have a very bad videohttp://vimeo.com/107333916

Larry -----<|

• Baller

@onamission‌ take heart! Much of the depression you are experiencing is a side affect of the drugs you have been on for the past several months. I know that doesn't alleviate the symptoms, but sometimes understanding the source helps you cope better.

You'll have your old brain back soon. In the meantime cut yourself plenty of slack!

• Baller

Surgeon says everything is looking fine and don't need to see him for three months. Now starts the process of going back to work after being off for 6 months. Next week looks to be interesting with the possibility of starting work, (part time) and the Polar Bear Ski on Sat.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@mwetskier‌ You have know idea how careful I've been around the house and boat. With this being my first accident at work that required any time off and being caused by a perfect chain of events that the are a million to one. All of my other injuries have come from some sort of sporting activities. I'm scared as help to go back and stepping into the building that it happened in isn't going to happen for a long time. Hopefully Polar Bear will be fun event.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@onamission I definitely had some anxiety going back to work. Company had me back at a desk job right away. I've been back at my regular job for several months. So far I haven't had to work on the part that got me. I've actually been looking for another job that involves less hands on. Turned down one already, not enough money. I've always tried to be careful at work, more so than others I think, I've just been trying to think things through before I do anything that could be dangerous.

• Baller

Time to start getting my gear together, work and ski. Looks like Monday I go back to work, part time till next year. Everyone wants me to ease back slowly, which is just fine with me. Maybe start moving towards retirement mode early.

Saturday is our local Polar Bear ski, hopefully the weather stays nice.

Larry -----<|