Vest

bowty

• Baller
Sorry for all the basic questions, I have just started slalom skiing and don't know much nor have much dedicated ski gear. I have always just used a plain vest from Walmart that is really bulky and annoying and it's time to upgrade. I like the design of the Radar Vapor vest, also some of the Oneill comp vests. Any other vests worth looking into? Coast Guard approved or not, doesn't matter at all to me.

• Baller

I have the first year radar decible. It is a good fitting and warm vest with good coverage, however in a crash it really likes to roll up. It is reversible which is great for that second colder evening set.

Used it for 2 years and the neoprene where the zipper is fastened is almost ready to pull apart. I only have 100-120 sets on it. Not overly impressed with that. Have an O'Neill checkmate now that is similar in design but overall I think its a bit better quality.

• Baller

I'm a huge fan of Eagle for non-USCG vest. So comfortable that when I first got it I kept thinking I'd forgotten to put my vest on! Also tight enough to provide some back support.

But it's a little tough to pick the right size. I use an XL (which is nice and tight as it designed to be), but would typically be between M and L for a vest.

• Baller
Eagle. I'm 6'1" and 175. A large is just right for me. Very tight when dry, but spot on when wet. The XL felt great when dry, but in the water it was obviously oversize. (Good to have a friend with one who will let you try it.) For their quality, the fact that they are water ski based company rather than surf with a side line, and for their support/sponsorship of ski events I recommend Eagle.

• Baller
Just got a Radar X as I'm a CGA fan. Thought I would not like the bulk of it, but once in the water and up I can't say as I've noticed it. Hopefully I don't have to test the claimed impact protection.

• Baller

@MrJones Interesting. I'm just barely taller and lighter than you, and I can bench press ... um not much. So you'd think if anything I'd wear a smaller size. But I couldn't put on a Large at all, and the XL is very snug. I wonder if there is (or was) some inconsistency in the sizing of Eagles?

Nevertheless, by far the best vest I've ever owned and someday when it wears out I will not hesitate to buy another one.

• Baller
@giddyup if you can get it on easily dry it is too big. You should be barely able to zip it when it is new and dry. @Than_Bogan when I am 10 pounds lighter than I am right now I can ski in an XL. I am a little surprised you can't ski in a large. Matt skis in a large and my guess is he is bigger through the chest than you are since he weighs a little more and is shorter.

• Baller
I'm 6'2" 185 I bought a XL from Eagle and used it once and exchanged it for a large. The xl was good dry but felt loose wet. I'm in a large camaro impact now. I think when it dies I'll try the eagle platinum, its supposed to have extra flotation. I sink in my eagle. +1 for front zip.

• Baller
'14 O'Neill Slasher Zip up. Super light (even after being in the water) with its new floatation foam that doesn't absorb water and wisely or by fluke there is no padding exactly where your arms press against your ribs while in the pulling position allowing your arms to sit nice and tight against your body. Highly recommend!

• Baller
I had the Radar X vest and really liked it. When I cracked ribs in that vest, I realized it had the same problem as all the other vests I've cracked ribs with...There is lots of padding everywhere except in certain spots and those certain spots are where you'll crack a rib. The non-CGA vests have much smaller gaps between the pads and the pads aren't as thick. The x-vest is also insanely heavy when it's wet. So far, my Radar decibel vest has actually protected my ribs better than all of the CGA vests I've worn and I've had some pretty nasty falls with it.

• Baller
Eagles are neoprene like wetsuit. The large is a little hard for me to get the zipper started but XL was riding up on me in the water. Once on the large is very comfortable. You hardly know that you have anything on.