"Heal of Pain" pressure sensing device

rawly

• Baller

Sitting around discussing ways to sense heal pressure caused by improper skiing form,we were struck by genius from the dis guarded lid of the glass bottle that holds the Mexican beverage often enjoyed after a hard day of skiing. This discussion took place after hearing a local Big Dog skier state that "when I'm in a slump I sometimes envision a thumb tack under my heals to enforce balls of feet pressure ". We took this thought one step further. A prototype model was built and solid evidence was delivered on our next set. @ripa38 post phoned his bicycle ride to take a boat ride and witness the first tests.

Surprising results showed profound witness marks on the front heal , not back heal of skier who favored (or used to)heal pressure vs ball of foot pressure.

Photos and test results will be posted soon. So far the "Heal of Pain " pressure sensor is getting two thumbs up. ( not sure where though)

To be continued .....

Being test rider number two and being the provider / manufacturer of said caps :) There does seem to be some positive feedback from trying this and in some cases may help the skier stay more centered over the top of the ski.

• Baller
Top secret photos.......I know we are goofy , but did help me out. We just tied them into the 4 hole pattern of our Strata boots. Am going to get some dual lock and put just one piece of it in with the teeth sticking up. That will most likely be our recommendation for those of you running rubber bindings......can't have @Horton test it out because he tends to stay off his heals. Oh well.

• Administrators

@rawly‌ Ok seriously

The bottom like is you NEED the power of the boat in your heels or the flat of your foot. You do not have any power when you are trying to be on your toes. If you go to the gym and do squats do you have more power through your heels or up on your toes.

It is a common misconception that if you press your back leg you will move your weight back. It is really the opposite. Being back is mostly/generally from your back leg being too bent and shoulders forward.

A better idea to solve what you are trying to fix would be to get a strap that goes around your forehead and then down your back and between your legs. Attach the bottom of the strap to a fishhook. Then put the hook on your nuts. I guarantee that will keep you from dropping your head forward or pushing your hips back.

• Administrators
@MattP‌ yes except @eleeski uses one gatorade bottle cap on his forehead and one in his.... ... hole. I am not really sure where the fish hook goes.

• Baller
Are you trying to tell me that jumpers will not want these in their helmets to keep them from going out the front ? Come on that's our next invention. ..How about a turret mounted bottle cap gun that the observer can shoot at you ?

With all joking aside it was interesting to see exactly were and at what place in the course your heels made more or less contact with the ski. Also noted that all three skiers had almost no mark or cap ring on their rear heal? All three skiers had a cap ring on their front heel, but the better skiers had less of a mark. The so called not so better skier “ME” had a more pronounced mark??

• Baller

@Donski‌ "All joking aside"? On this thread?

@Horton‌ The Gatorade cap was your idea to keep me from sticking out my butt. Hemorrhoids do the same thing naturally - so it was up to you to perfect the design. The fish hook sounds like overkill no matter where you hook it.

I thought you were only going to pick on @thager‌ .

Eric

• Administrators

No @rawly‌ your skiing has come a long ways and this is a PTL Edge website.

I get that you guys were trying to think outside the box. I assume this was actually @Donski‌'s idea.

Donny I love you like the Chihuahua I never had but you ski best when you work on fundamentals.

• Baller

This is the chicken or the egg.

Is there a benefit to things that "get you off your heels"? For instance if you made a hardshell that the cuff leans you forward X amount at your front ankle, and holds your heel back you'd find that you would have to bend your knee. But you'd most likely also find that you'd always be pulling back on the cuff and lifting at your toes. Counter intuitive/productive. I think it does work for people though, the HO bindings from yesteryear had quite a bit of that aggressive lean built in.

You're gone the other way with a physical reminder to get weight off your heel.

But consider - what if there was something you "wanted" to push into? Something like a spring loaded extension on the cuff that encouraged you to drive forwards into it. What if you got a buzzer when you hit the sweet spot?

• Baller

@rawly‌ mirrors rock!

Weight on the toes of the front foot is a stilted position. Use the whole foot.

Weight shifting is more of a body alignment issue than a ballet toe point pressure. Use the front of the boot to magnify forward pressure, not your toes.

How did this thread get serious? It started with beer caps and fishhooks. @Horton‌ must have had a nap.

Eric