Would You Loan Your Competition Ski To A Stranger?

ozski

• Baller
A Friend Of Mine Loaned His Ski To A Guy (In A Speedo). The Guy Had Never Used Double bindings and Had Never skied Behind A Tourney Boat Before. So, He Puts On The Bindings As He's Standing On The dock In His Red Speedo. Well Naturally He'd Been Drinking And Was Lacking in Balance, So There He Was, hopping Around On The Dock Jamming The Fin Into The dock And Probably Scratching The Bottom Of The Ski. The Funny Thing Was, My Buddy Never Said A word, HeJust Sat There And Cringed! When It Came Time To Ski The Dude Wanted To Do A Dock Start Like You Would with a Toe Loop. The Guy Took About 3 loops And Told Us To Hit it. Needless To Say, He Didn't Make It!

• Baller
Yep, dock hopping, handle strikes, stretching out my custom modified boots... teaching my ski bad stuff... EEEk To the right person I have no problems, to the wrong person I'm sorry but here is the wife's freeride...

• Baller
Probably not. If I knew they could ski I would but not without some kind of knowledge regarding ability. If it was someone from here visiting from out of town and they fit my stuff I would let them but not a random stranger.

• Baller

I loaned my ski to another competitor once, during a competition, never again, his ski was the same as mine but he broke it, after I loaned him the ski on condition he just put his bindings on it, it was given back to me, scratched up and with different fin settings. How did he scratch it up in one round of comp ?

• Baller

Is there a options for never again? During one vacation I had a friend tear my gloves, break the rope of the handle and tear the heel piece rubber in my binding.

Granted they were getting pretty old, but still very frustrating to need to use slalom ski from a combo set for half a week. I still bust his chops for this all the time.

• Baller

I would only lend it to a fellow competitor in need in my presence and without altering anything (fin, boots, etc). However because I want to be autonomous I cary a lot of stuff with me, fins, releases, boots, tools and I help skiers all the time with failed equipment.

Alex,

• Baller
A stranger??!! I lent mine to a friend I have skied with for 10 years, never have I seen him miss a start, of course he has a different ski different bindings etc. what does he do? Pops the handle and leaves a nice ding on the side of my new ski, I think I had 5 sets on it!! So for sure never a stranger, always say the binding is the wrong size even if it's not!!

• Baller
Agree with Thager kind of, that's why I still have my Goode 9600, it's a back up but I don't mind loaning it to others....my XT would only go to a good ski friend in dire need or to someone that wants to 'demo' it while I'm in the boat.

• Baller

A stranger? Are you serious? Look I take a ton of friends skiing who aren't great skiers and they all ski on my Senate, it's a good all around ski and not too aggressive for beginners, and I'm right there with them towing them, so it's fine whatever. But when I buy my next ski that runs me $1,000 and has bindings specifically for my feet? Even my friends aren't riding that one. If they don't have their own ski, they can hop on my old Senate.

And that's my friends!! For a stranger? Ha!! Not a chance in the world that I would even loan a stranger my $50 Costco lifejacket, let alone a $1,500 ski.

• Administrators

I once loaned a ski (that I needed to sell) to a guy who had screws coming up through his swim step. When I got the ski back it had deep scratches all over the bottom. He had no answer. ...

I once loaned a (personal favorite) ski to a guy who was using black DualLock. When he took the tape off he used a razor blade to try to get the sticky off the ski. He carved the crap out of the top of my ski.

I once loaned a ski to @Dirt. He still has it. (He sent me another one like it - eventually)

If you come to my house, let me put your bindings on the ski and do not take the ski out of my sight I am very happy to let you try my skis.

• Baller
We are talking someone you just met not a ski buddy or someone you have skied with before, then absolutely not. The only thing that came close is I gave my non-skiing buddy a ski for his boss to try and possibly purchase. Never saw the ski again and I asked my buddy where the money was? "Oh I'll get it to you". Never saw the money either.

• Baller

I do not compete nor have a competition ski so it is not critical for me.

If my low end ski would make a differens to a NICE person it is ok.

My experience off to help folks in trouble is they tends to pay off in the long run -from totally different directions and situations.

• Baller_
I posted never, although after some thought, with the following: deposit ($price of replacement ski decided by me), signed agreement as to how I will assess and consider the ski condition or damage upon return. The borrower will have to assess his/her situation and decide on the respective value to them of the offer.

• Members
@ms comes off the dock cold and runs -38's all the time on those black topped Monza's, better hope his nano doesn't break or he'll be putting up big scores on a 9yr old ski.

• Baller
I let a buddy try my Vapor a few weeks ago. Never been so nervous in my life. He had one fall that he hopped on the tail and the handle got jerked out of his hands. I turned the boat around quicker than I ever have to see if he left a handle ding. Thankfully it was ok (note- this was my vapor that was literally just warrantied from Radar. It was the first day I skied it in practice)

• Baller
I don't ski tournaments and I don't chase balls (yet) but I have and will let buds give skis a try. Not new people and never again my brother if he ever decides to ski again. First ski we shared...he'd wipeout in a shallow area. As we motor up "hey are you standing", he always answered yes, and you could never see the ski. Yep he'd just stand there with the ski on rocks or whatever.