Bit by a Rattlesnake Sunday night

cragginshred

• Baller

Sunday night at dusk I walked outside my back drive way and was not looking at my feet and a baby rattler struck me on the heel. Wearing flip flops I was unprotected. I immediately felt 10/10 pain and looked to see the one button diabolical critter curled up shaking it's single rattle to see what I would do. Of course I yelled like a girl then ran to tell my wife we need to go to the hospital due to being bitten by a snake. I thought for a moment- 'how can I return home to a live baby rattler somewhere in my yard'? I hobbled back there with a shovel in hand and he was still there to become 'rattler sausage'.

As we arrived in the ER my lips were going numb and the back of my head was tingling -freaking me out. Of course every one there wanted to see what it looked like. The long of the short is two days in ICU, 6 bags of 'crofab' in my IV and one more night on med surg then home Wednesday. Ambulating with out crutches now and thinking about skiing Sunday....thank you Lord!

It could have been much worse and I am super thankful!!

• Baller
Man I've killed two on my property this year. One 2 ft and another 3 ft. Another was dead on the road in front of my place that was bigger than both those. First time in nearly 20 years I've live hear that I've seen them. There's a lot of construction in the area think they're loosing there habitat. It's got me in a habit of looking before I step out the door. Really happy for you that it wasn't worse.

Wow glad your okay. after reading this I am hoping you can show us a pic of you heal.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemotoxic

Hemotoxins, haemotoxins or hematotoxins are toxins that destroy red blood cells (that is, cause hemolysis), disrupt blood clotting, and/or cause organ degeneration and generalized tissue damage. The term hemotoxin is to some degree a misnomer since toxins that damage the blood also damage other tissues. Injury from a hemotoxic agent is often very painful and can cause permanent damage and in severe cases death. Loss of an affected limb is possible even with prompt treatment.

Hemotoxins are frequently employed by venomous animals, including vipers and pit vipers. Animal venoms contain enzymes and other proteins that are hemotoxic or neurotoxic or occasionally both (as in the Mojave Rattlesnake, the Japanese mamushi,[1] and similar species). In addition to killing the prey, part of the function of a hemotoxic venom for some animals is to aid digestion. The venom breaks down protein in the region of the bite, making prey easier to digest.

The process by which a hemotoxin causes death is much slower than that of a neurotoxin. Snakes which envenomate a prey animal may have to track the prey as it flees. Typically, a mammalian prey item will stop fleeing not because of death, but due to shock caused by the venomous bite. Dependent upon species, size, location of bite and the amount of venom injected, symptoms in humans such as nausea, disorientation, and headache may be delayed for several hours.

Hemotoxins are used in diagnostic studies of the coagulation system. Lupus anticoagulans is detected by changes in the dilute Russell's viper venom time (DRVVT), which is a laboratory assay based on—as its name indicates—venom of the Russell's viper.

• Baller_

@cragginshred,

Is it a different species of rattlesnake that bit you other than the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes we have in Michigan? Or, are the juveniles more potent in any species? I recall a local story of a construction worker who was bit here. He was 6' 4" and 250 lbs. The hospital told him he was big enough to handle that bite and sent him home with nothing. There must be some factors affecting that decision. I don't think I would have slept well with no antivenin or other medication.

Glad you are OK. Hope you do get to ski Sunday.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Why am I not seeing the option to load pics??? No skin,...he was a little guy. Northern pacific rattler. I have a pic of one that looked exactly like him I killed last year if I can load it. still planing to ski Sunday despite the MD and my wife's advice.

• Baller
Juvenile snake bites are more dangerous because the young snakes tend to release all their venom when they bite, whereas an adult snake knows it can take several days to replenish their venom, so they tend to release a small amount when they bite.

• Baller

You needed to wear socks with your flip flops. I worked all day on one of my wells. Cleaning up at the end of the day, I found a squished baby rattler right where I was standing. I was wearing socks and never felt a thing. The poor little guy didn't stand a chance when I stepped on him.

Hope you recover and ski well.

Eric.

• Baller
@cragginshred, Where are you located? It is a good thing in PA and OH there are not many rattlesnakes since I walk around in my bare feet constantly. We have copperheads and rattlesnakes in this part of the country, but they are very rare.

• Baller
@cragginshred Now that you have had that experience, you ought to start a church where you handle snakes and collect money from your congregation. I would joine!!!! BTW, Utah has rattlers everywhere. Probably 20 percent of the time I go hike, I either hear or see one! Scary mofos!!!! They still are not as scary as Gators!!!!

• Baller

@cragginshred Congrats on your pb! My first experience with a snake was several years ago when I saw one sunbathing in a friends driveway. He asked me to kill it, so being the nice guy that I am, I took my 7 iron(always my club of choice) over to the 5 foot snake and bopped it in the head. Well, much to my surprise, those damn rattlesnakes are harder than a hose, and not like a worm. My bop pissed it off and it coiled and started striking....game on! I beat the shi& out of it and smashed it in after about 50 whacks, and a ruined golf club--take your nice iron and beat it against a driveway and see how it looks! After that experience, I gained an appreciation for snakes, and except for worshiping, I tend to avoid them.

@MattP, I would take a snake any day over those friggin evil water dinosaurs you deal with. I skied in Florida last year and right on the dock where we started, not 5 minutes before, a big huge gator was sunbathing.....You seriously expect us to get in the water KNOWING that evil monster is lurking below!!!

• Supporting Member

@Brady. Yes, snakes must be killed very violently. They are compressible and durable. Glad you learned that without taking any damage!

Snakes in the New England area are not very dangerous, and I haven't killed one as an adult. But we used to get Copperheads growing up in PA. Small ones on a hard surface could be smashed with a hard log, but larger ones caused my dad to get a .22 rifle out. Also unlike worms, they have a centralized brain, so one shot carefully placed was very effective.

Congrats @cragginshred on your survival AND your PB!!

• Baller
I have a healthy respect for snakes and gators having lived most of my skiing years in Louisiana, Florida and Bama. My ski areas in all three had plenty of gators, some places infested with them. I agree with @MattP - I would take skiing with gators versus a cotton mouth. never seen a cotton mouth that was not aggressive. Gators do spook easy with engine noise of a boat - until they get about 10 feet or more. A whole new attitude then (not good either). When living on Lake Tennessee I called the game warden (forgot official name) when a 12 footer would not leave the slalom course - was not bothered by the boat noise, or when I almost skied over his head. Just floated there waiting for me to fall. Over the next 4 weeks the legal gator hunter sent to remove the 12 footer, pulled three 10 footers out, but never got the big boy. We kept the timer real short for our drop zone :)

• Baller
@brady perhaps my short-barrel, over/under Remington 12 would have done the trick in short order? I hate snakes as much as Indiana Jones. No shovel for me I'm going for the big iron...granted where I live no worries other than viscous (not so much) garter snakes and even those are rare.

• Baller
Speaking of dangerous critters, what do we have to worry about in San Marcos TX next week? I assume there are rattlers and scorpions down there, but what about water moccasins, copperheads, and other water dwelling creatures? We have a house rented on the San Marcos river and plan to spend lots of time on/in the water, between SMRR and the river itself.

• Baller

I remember well in 1998, when we moved from Kauai to a Private Ski Lake in Carlos, Texas. The first night there I was putting the boat in the boat house when a huge Water Moccasin came slithering in. Took a shovel to him, and the next day bought a new 12 gauge...Shot 21 of them the first week alone..It became a sport.

• Baller
@marco San marcos rivers not too bad few water moccasins. I'd be more worried around the house if its outside the city. I live outside of Austin on 5 acres and until this year I'd never seen a poisonous snake in over 20 yrs. I let the non poisonous snake be to help control mice and rabbits etc. Not sure how familiar you are with Moccasins when they're swimming on top of the water most of there body is out of the waters and they are thicker. Other water snakes will only have there heads out. Around here lot of people call water moccasins cotton mouths.

• Baller

We have some rat snakes that like our mouse-infested shed, and some have pushed 5-6 foot in length until they met an untimely death with a sickle, shovel, or being on the business end of a shotgun. They are fairly aggressive, and some have a faux rattle tail, that makes us look twice at them.

When I was younger and competing, I skied in Fort Myers in the winters, and I was always nervous in the water, as there were known gators in the lake. My friend jumped off the dock and must have startled a gator, as the tail slapped him in the face as it was swimming away. That is too close for me!!!

• Baller

@gregy -thanks for the info on cottonmouths! Maybe I'll bring along a shovel in my ski bag, so I don't have to use my ski as the only weapon of choice :neutral_face:

@AB -I'll take a gator over snakes any day. At lease gators are afraid of humans...

Hearing about snakes & gators makes me appreciate living in Iowa! It gets too damn cold here for critters like that, we just get the occasional snapping turtle. My cousin in Arizona carries a hand gun for the rattlers. She points it at them, moves it from side to side, stops, then BANG, dead snake!