Front foot

JAS

• Baller
I'm trying to keep my COM, or at least the vast majority of weight I apply to the ski, through my front foot at all times. From the pull out to the exit gates, so nothing special between second wake and turn. If I'm not over my front foot coming into the ball it usually means I stayed in my pulling position too long, not allowing the boat to pull my back up over the top of my ski.

• Baller

I find that if I'm not free of the boat in the pre-turn, or in other words, haven't generated enough speed before the second wake, I stay back too far, hold my edge too long and really don't have time to start a controlled turn that brings me over the front of the ski.

Without enough energy, momentum, angle and speed the ski is too flat and gets left behind too early= reach to the boat and bad bend at the waist. And zero chance of getting on the front foot in a controlled and easy pre-turn. You have to have enough speed/energy to the outside of the course to be able to do a smooth edge change and then get onto the front of the ski more. With this outward speed and energy it's very difficult to get on the front without bad results.

Watch what's happening before the edge change, if you are stacked and generating a good amount of speed up to the 2nd wake, it will set you up to stay tall, come on the front with the handle close and low, and thus allow the inside edge of the ski to bite in front of the boot and turn nicely.

Watch Terry Winter 1/4 speed BOS on you tube and you'll see this in perfection !

• Baller

Great topic and one I lived this weekend.

Chad Scott, Tyler Scott, Jerry Jackson, and Dane Mechler spent the weekend with us at Cypress on their way to Nationals. I got to see a lot of elite skiing. Saw 39s going down at 36 and 34mph. One thing was apparent. None of them make any sort of body move to move up over the front foot. It all starts behind the boat. It's a continuous outbound flow of the inside hip and handle that leaves their inside hip advanced and their core and shoulders centered over their front foot. Once they leave the second wake the handle never stops moving. They are constantly advancing it(the handle) while keeping the inside hip on the other side of it from the boat. First time to watch Dane from the boat and I was extremely impressed. Now I know what @Horton means when he says "flowey". After I watched Dane's opening pass for the first time from the boat, I said "So that's what @tfin has been trying to communicate to me."

I've got to say, it was a pretty awesome saturday and sunday. Like a clinic with Chad, Tyler, Jerry Jackson, and Dane all coaching. And then Sunday we had a small C tournament with Chad driving and Dane judging. Good stuff. As the line gets shorter I usually start loosing the line more and more on my offside. Third round, after getting some coaching from Dane on shore after the first two, I actually felt the pull of the boat coming through my reach arm, shoulder and peck at 28 and 32 off on my offside turns. That was a first. And the first time I could trust the ski was going to come under me like I wanted it. Of course at 35 I exploded and went back to my usual. LOL. But now I have felt what they were telling me.

• Baller

Dane's 39 looked really good at nationals. Very smooth skier, he impressed me also. Oh by the way 2@41 off with a tail. @gator1 looked like he was on Wiley bindings more ammo for you theory. @shaneH what's he using double binding or rtp?

• Baller
Next time he's at Cypress, I'll get some in boat video. As far as the handle never stops moving...... He keeps it always advancing crosscourse and then outward. And he keeps his inside hip(right going left and left one going right) advancing with the handle. He does it all the way to the top of the arc and the result is that when he reaches and gets to the apex, his hips and shoulders are already countered and open to the shore. There's no counter movement. Instead the counter builds all the way from center.