2014 Goode US Nationals Scoring Link/Photos

Dirt

• Supporting Member

What the trend on M1 and M2 numbers? I think that's the real measure of Nationals participation growth. For various reasons, people born in the 70s did not pick up the sport in large numbesr. I was born in 71, which means that my division shrinks every year until I go up a division and rejoin all those guys born in the 60s.

But what's indicative of the immediate future is folks born in the 80s and 90s.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan I don't know if participation in Nationals for M1 & M2 is necessarily a good measure. People leave skiing for lots of reasons in that age range. I pretty much stopped skiing in the M1 and M2 ages to chase women/meet my wife and play golf then came back to it later. I came back late in M3 when Matt got interested in tournament skiing. I think that is not all that unusual.

• Baller

Alight so I put together the numbers on the M1-M2 skiers since 1991.

To me M1 looks about the same now as it has for the past 10 years. A slow decline in slalom over the past 24 years. Participation in Trick, Jump and Overall remains fairly consistent for the past 24 years.

M2 participation looks higher this year.

k2dltuuu7i3a.png

• Baller

Are there more or less tournaments to ski in now than in the past?

What I really care about is the availability for ME to ski in a tournament. If that is decreasing that would be more of a sign that we are in trouble.

• Supporting Member

I ski on a public lake.

I find I can't compete with people who are more athletically talented than I am and work harder at it than I do...

I'll admit that the sport has fundamentally changed in the last 50 years or so, from a blue collar feel to more of a country club feel. Maybe that's a bad thing, but it's absolutely not the same things as the sport is dying or dead.

The notion of "I can't compete so I give up" is a bit of a pet peeve. Guess what? I can't compete with Nate Smith. Right now, essentially nobody can. Should they all leave the sport? Heck I can't even compete with Regina Jacquess. Lifetime of dedicated training only to be crushed by a woman? Guess I better go put my ski on ebay!

NO. In fact, water skiing is one of the ultimate "compete against yourself" activities, and one of relatively few sports that you can pursue seriously at any age.

Another interesting metric: Anytime I travel somewhere I can find a slalom course within an hour of driving and people willing to pull me. It's a GREAT and VIBRANT community we're part of!

• Baller
I was told by a friend of mine that lives at Isles of Lake Hancock, once you move to private site or live on a lake you have a big chance of becoming a smooth water skier. Think about it, why go out and ski the wind when I can wait a hour for smooth water!!

• Baller
With all due respect, I would argue skiing on a public lake can, in many ways, be an advantage. If one goes to the trouble of getting up at 5:30 AM to uncover the boat, gas it up and cruise all the way across the lake to the course, you are GOING to ski regardless of conditions. In many ways, it makes you a better skier. Some days you may not get to your hardest pass or may not run your desired pass, but then what is considered difficult conditions at a private site become relatively easy. While I enjoyed training at a private site for a few years, I actually prefer my public lake and think it helps coping with adverse conditions.

• Baller
I live on public water and we usually have good conditions in our course. I do admit to becoming a bit of a prima donna sometimes and heading out to the course and not skiing. It is only a two minute drive from my dock so it is pretty easy to say we will try later.

• Baller_
It all comes down to access to a quality ski course. Public or private, if you have access to a course, you can practice and get better. Private lakes get wind just like public lakes do but skiing in boat rollers is a one way ticket to injury.

• Baller

@Chuck_Dickey‌ I'm guessing that is the John Horton skiing against our local guy in MA ;) If they are the same guy then that much hair and having a baby in your 80's is really an accomplishment.

Congrats to Roger for his wins in Slalom and Trick

• Baller
  • Baller
@MS I agree. The distinction between being able to train on private water vs. living on private water is different. I drive 50 min one way to ski on private water. My situation is great but doesn't compare to the owner of the lake who can step out his back door to ski - huge difference and advantage.

• Baller
@ScarletArrow‌ kind of depends on the public water ;) The one course I use is about 500 feet off the end of my brother in-laws dock on a public lake (o'doud) and the other is about 500 feet off the end of a ski buddies dock on Prior lake.