Boat path invention

Bulldog

• Baller
With all of the boat path talk on ball of spray lately I was wondering how long until a boat company comes up with a system like a modern vehicle park assist screens with the virtual lines for curbs and vehicle width. If done right it would line up with the drive guides of the course on a heads up display on the windshield. Any opinions??

"Do Better..."

• Baller

The gun sight is more like a verification that are you correct as you pass the boat guides. It's a pass or fail system. I think what @bulldog is referring to are angled lines on the windshield that align with all the boat guides and will tell you whether you are correct at any given time. I gave that a lot of consideration a while back but quickly realized that this concept is dependent on driver height and angle of lean.

I do agree with @chris_logan though. Boats these days track so well that keeping it centered is very easy. The 2000 SN we use in the course with nuetral steering...not so much. That thing wiggles all over the place.

• Baller
Technology, Materials, Labour Costs, Overheads and Development, on top of that, they do not sell enough, if you compare the number of boats sold compared to cars, there's your answer, I am still amazed they can sell a Wakeboard Boat for approx $160,000 or have I got that wrong ?

• Baller_
I think that if the boat goes straight down the middle with minimal deviation from center line, scores will drop. The best drivers (that I have talked to) don't strive to drive the center line; they drive to enhance the skiing experience. Do not equate enhancing the skiing experience with banging someone through their harder passes. You may equate it, however, with driving a path that compliments the skier while at the same time fully complying with all applicable rules, letter and spirit.

Lpskier

• Baller

@Wish, ZO is reactive. Skier load input=rpm change. There is no way any system could be proactive if load or direction deviation comes into play. An auto pilot system would certainly not feel as good as an experienced driver. I know that my driving technique incorporates proactive adjustments; but, they are not the same proactive adjustments, ball to ball or pass to pass, by design. Depending on the skiers pull off the ball, release from the boat, load behind the boat all plays into the proactive driving measures taken at the next ball. You have to be ahead of the skier; but, how far ahead can change through the pass.

All that said, just like ZO (or Perfect Pass); everyone would have to assimilate and adapt.

• Administrators
@kstateskier‌ with an older open bow Boo there was a chrome rail around the gunnel. You can put a zip tie on the rail as a marker like the gun site on a Centurion. Works great to help with path.

• Baller
Taking Horton’s zip tie idea to the next level, it seems like it would be relatively easy to put a laser at each end of the lake pointing at each other down the center of the lake. Sensors on the front of the boat would monitor the position that the laser hits the boat. A simple series of LED lights (green in the middle, yellow to each side, and red to the far right and left) could be put in above the steering wheel that would show the driver which way they are off center and to what extent. This would give the driver constant feedback on position instead of them having to wait for the boat guides. If the position lights are recorded for each pass, it might be used to give quicker feedback to the judges for deciding on re-rides.

• Baller
Not a boat, but an acquaintence from when I raced cars was blinded two years ago in a violent car crash at the track at 175mph. He'd always wanted to build a car for Bonneville, so another set of friends built a trike for him to run at Bonneville. Solo. It uses some commercial grade gps and electronics to provide him auditory feedback to his path in relationship to a plotted end point. He's so far hit speeds over 75 mph and has been able to drive a path that has ended within feet of the plotted end point.

• Administrators

I am sure the tech can be safe but hope we wait till is is user friendly and semi affordable before it becomes a thing.

Imagine the nightmare of the first days of PP or ZO x 100

• Baller_

Personally this is something I can't wait for.

It is hard to imagine getting the same pull over and over again.

It is also hard to imagine getting the same and equal tournament experience boat to boat and round to round.

I imagine an automated system may cost me a few balls initially but I think with time I will learn how it responds and adapt accordingly.

To always get a version of Chad, Will, Chris , etc.. would be amazing.

I think this would be one of the most game changing innovations ever.

It might be difficult at first but with time I think I would wonder how I ever did without it.

Come on those of you working on this I know your out there and I'm not getting younger.

I would love to be in the generation that skis on the first fully automated ski boat.

• Baller
Put another nail in the casket. The average Joe can't afford this sport now! Who's going to train and monitor the person watching the driving, and the person monitoring the person driving. When will we add checklists and a jumpseat? Also going to need .........YADA-YADA-YADA...

• Baller

The cheapest way would probably be RTK GPS because it is an entirely self contained receiver without any need for lasers or other stuff. Most of the time this approach can give you absolute accuracy down to around 3cm if you are in a good coverage area, but it requires local broadcasting survey stations. The good thing is that the coverage is getting better and the costs are coming down:

http://gpsworld.com/finally-a-list-of-public-rtk-base-stations-in-the-u-s/

http://swiftnav.com/piksi.html

I even have an active station near me in nowhere, NC thanks to the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources. I see no reason why this couldn't be used to guide a boat with a steer-by-wire system. I also expect it will become more ubiquitous in the next 5 years with the increasing availability of the L5 GPS band.

Now what if the course moves slightly due to wind or whatnot? Then we probably need a machine vision approach, which might be even cheaper and easier.