How did this happen?

PJ

• Baller
bad luck? actually it may be you hit something with the rudder hard enough to over flex the hull. i saw a 92 that had damage like that from a prop and rudder strike on a gravel bar. it was repaired on the out side cosmetically and reinforced in side with aluminum plate and marine tex.

• Baller_
The discoloration seems odd. Some sort of chemical reaction or corrosion that affected the resin or integrity of the fiberglass layering? Or, some corrosion weakened the running gear or mounts in a way that allowed too much flex and stress on the hull.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

I have seen it before on show ski boats that perform the spin-out and around the boat tricks - the rudder is frequently over at full throttle. I believe that the area is weakened by some softer bottom hits - where the boat's rudder is stuck in the bottom and the boat is being rocked back and forth by the waves - essentially inproper anchoring by not using the stern hook. The rest of the damage comes from the power turns. Fiberglass does not like flexing or vibration that much. The nice thing is that it is repairable fairly inexpensively.