New Boat Models

DkLkSkr

• Baller
Does anyone have knowledge of when any of the Big 4 are coming out with new models? I'm guessing it will be awhile for Mastercraft with the Prostar just coming out. How about Nautique, Malibu, and Centurion? These three have been a few years since revisions, at least that I know of. I know that technology is changing from year to year, but I am looking for major changes.

• Baller
I would expect no major changes anytime soon. The 200, TXI, ProStar and Carbon Pro have wakes and tracking that will be tough to beat. In addition, R&D spent on slalom boats doesn't have much of a payoff compared to wake boats. Slalom boats are less than 5 percent of the market.

• Baller

Anyone know the scoop on the current generation mid size boats?

Are the current OB ski boats going to be "it" for the DD boat or will we see a revamp on the prostar 209's of the world?

Can some of the hull features of current generation tournament boats improve the "acceptability" of the cross-over segment to skiers? And switch that around - could same provide a surf wake?

• Baller

While tricks may be a small niche in a slightly larger small niche market of tournament waterskiing, @BraceMaker‌ is right that the majority of boats are pulling wakeboards and surfing. Who's honestly selling lots of boats nowadays?

Maybe I should build boats. Gatorade lids for the drain plugs!

Eric

• Baller

@Bracemaker Both the Malibu VTX (w/cut diamond hull) and Nautique Sport 200 will ski/board/surf using similar hulls to their DD counterparts. Local dealer seems to sell a ton of VTX to skiers who want to be able to do something else with their boat, seems to me that the VTX and Sport 200 were both certified for some sort of waterski competition.

This is Malibu land, usually only see the whale sized Nautiques around here - but my friend does own a Sport 200. Not sure if Mastercraft makes anything in the crossover segment, haven't really heard of one since the Maristar. (Maybe the x-tube?, but I've never heard anyone recommend them for skiing)

• Baller

@eleeski Stan & Merry were over tricking behind our 200 on Sunday. Stan was landing some of the best SLB's I have seen in a while. Very smooth and clean with great air. He had nothing but good things to say about the wake and table.

And if @Horton can make MM behind a Centurion, it must not be that bad either. :)

• Baller
I was talking to a Malibu Rep at Nationals. Sounds like they were working on getting the best engine combination. He was taking about testing different engine heads, props, etc to get the best rpm ranges and best pull. I was really impressed with the amount of testing that went into getting the propulsion just right.

• Baller
Correct craft is usually the slowest in coming out with new hull designs. The first Ski Nautique hull was used from 1961-1981, the second(the 2001 hull as it was called) 1982-1989, then the No Wake Zone hull 1990-1996, The TSC1 hull 1997-2001,TSC2 hull?(I think I have the name correct)2002-2009, and then the 200 Optimal Surface Control Hull 2010 to present. I got to meet Ralph Meloon on many occasions. He always stressed they never released anything to the marketplace until they were sure it was going to work properly. They did not want their customers to be guinea pigs on a product that may or may not work. It is under new ownership now. I just hope in the future they don't keep making them bigger. I would prefer 20 foot or less.. For those of us in the north that can cause storage issues.

• Administrators
@Onside135‌ not at all. I am saying ithat is literally not the same company as 20 years ago. Talking about what they did in the 80s seems irrelevant.

• Baller
@Horton, I know the Meloon family sold the company. I just don't remember when.. I have had more chances to ski behind a 200 and get some time in the boat. I like it the best of the four tournament boats that are out there. The Carbon Pro is more in line with my budget though..