I need a Stupid Warm drysuit

Than_Bogan

• Baller_

I use the Bare Ultra Dry (bag style) and just wear very loose-fitting sweats underneath. I even put my ONeill Gooru vest on the inside for a little extra core warmth. I can move just as easily as shorts and a heater top. I'm warm and it gets downright hot if the sun is shining on that black suit. But, the best part is that my muscles are flexible and I am comfortable enough that I am not skiing in a near fetal position or stiff as a board. In fact, my buoy count usually increases and often beats my mid-summer peak. But, I am very cold naturally. You should see the crap I get for wearing a heater top all summer.

I've skied in 34 degree water with that suit. My hands and feet were nearly useless after a few minutes, but everything else was just fine.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I just got an Eagle Sports drysuit, the baggy type this past spring. I did not think I would like it, but it has worked very well. I wear a thin sweatshirt and sweatpants underneath. Once you get all the air out you are vacuum, sealed inside it. It is surprisingly comfortable and easy to move in. The only downside is it acts like a parachute when slalom skiing on a windy day which can make it a little harder to ski. I will be switching to a full length wetsuit until the water temp drops below 60 then I will switch back to the drysuit..

• Baller
@Than_Bogan - Go for one of the baggy drysuits and wear a layer of synthetic "long underwear" next to your skin under a layer of synthetic fleece. Look at any outdoor outfitters online for capilene or polypropylene long underwear and polartec 100, 200, 300 fleece. Avoid cotton. Synthetic layers will continue to keep you warm if water does get into the suit (and it likely will). You can add and subtract layers under the drysuit for various temperatures. A system like this traps air for insulation and wicks moisture away from your skin. It's basically a snow skiing outfit with a drysuit instead of an outer parka. Also, wear a neoprene hood or headband. Your head loses heat very fast, and a hood also helps reduce "ice cream headaches". Now if I could just figure out how to keep the hands warm...

• Baller

My friend up north sent me a link for this photo apparently this is how they do it in alaska in october - high bred dry suit -neoprene face mask and beenie -kevlar glove liners under nitrile gloves inside regular ski gloves -hot water in a cooler for warming feet and hands periodically.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/25119b2c-1bdd-4eb2-adf9-6699fac87cc1_zpsc98c18df.jpg

• Baller_

@Than_Bogan, I also highly recommend the cooler with hot water for hands, feet, gloves. You can really extend the ski session with that. If you really want to set yourself up, install a heater, shower, and heated seat in the boat. I added all 3 to my boat and it was worth every penny.

Oh yeah, I also second the "move to Florida" solution. I think about that one every fall/winter.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I have two drysuits that I haven't used since getting an O'Neil Psycho 2 wetsuit three years ago. Neither drysuit keeps me any drier than the Psycho. The neoprene on the Psycho is stretcher than the hybrid dry and is way less drag than the full bag. I was amazed how warm it's been this week with water in the 40s and air in the 30s, like not just warm enough, but toasty warm. I can get in and out of it without needing someone else to zip me up, and it is 95% dry inside when I take it off after skiing (damp around the wrists and ankles). Now O'Neil uses a waffle neoprene that is even stretchier.

• Supporting Member

@Marco I most certainly am.

Thanks all. I've been skiing throughout October for years in Massachusetts, but they stopped making the Sahara drysuit a while ago and my oneill hybrid is cute but not warm and not durable. Time to try the Bare full baggy I think.

• Baller
A versatile choice @Than_Bogan‌. Two things I learned with my Bare baggie: apply silicone to the seals a couple of times per year to keep them from drying out and tearing, and for important ski days you can wrap your lower legs with that stretchy packing plastic (like Saran wrap) to reduce water drag.