who is #2?

Horton

• Administrators

Smith is clearly # 1 on all accounts.

I wrote an opinion post about who is my # 2 Mens skier in the world but it sucked and I deleted it.

So who do you think is the number # 2 Mens slalom skier in the world and why?

Attention Caption Obvious, I have seen the ranking lists – both lists have merits and faults. Who do you think is the biggest challenge to Smith?

• Baller

After watching these guys in person the past few years at numerous events, I think that on a regular basis Freddie Winter is the closest. I think based on a sporadic event performance there is a large group who could pressure him at times including CP, Rossi, Will, TGas.

At the ProAm Nate had to beat 3@41 in both the quarters and final to win so Rossi and Freddie at least made him work.

I think Nate has separated himself and as long as he stays focused he will remain a step above the pack.

• Baller_
Seems half a dozen or so. Even TW has been on a roll. Deep deep 41s in practice and consistancy in tournaments (hail to the vertically challenged). Honestly if TW had Nates hight...they would be swapping 1 and 2. To me it boils down to mental toughness and focus more then anything. Nate is just silly anomaly at this point. Focused.. yes, tough..yes but not really needing to be and it shows. Others chasing him that have visable focus seem to push him the most. There is no clear #2.

• Baller

I think Asher and Parish have proven to be capable of running 41 there aren't any other skiers that seem to have done it as much as them. That said they aren't capable of doing it regularly enough to push Nate.

I think KC Wilson has shown a lot of progress this year and hope he can continue to develop.

• Baller
...more 41 and 43 than Nate ever will? Not if he stays healthy and I'd hate to think how many practice and tourney combined 41's Nate has at this point. CP #2 if more consistent (he has the big scores in him but age has a way of making those break through scores less consistent), barring that the new guard of Freddie and I believe KC have real potential. Unless they run 41 in good conditions with regularity, however, they are not a challenge day in/day out...playing for second.

• Baller

IMHO it is a 3 way tie.

Willy: Huge skill and talent.

TGas: Looks rough, but he consistently gets it done in all conditions.

Fred Winter: The young gun/beast mode dude. Will be interesting to see his progress.

Wild card is CP. If he gets his confidence on track he is there.

• Baller
It always seems to be Nate on top, then Asher. 3rd is a toss up. It could be freddie, it could be CP, it could be Tgas, it could be Rossi, it could be Larkin. I feel like I can bet that it will be Nate followed by Will 9 times out of 10. Even that last 1 time Nate will still be on top. I feel like I can count on 1 hand the number of times that Nate has competed and not won since he won his first pro tournament in California.. Gold rush it think it is?

• Baller
My thoughts were regarding "pro skiing". Masters, worlds, etc. There are lots of talented skiers who on any given weekend can put up a big (huge) score. From what I have seen lately those are the three on the pro scene. By that logic Larkin might be in there as well.

• Baller
@andjules‌ another vote for neveu. I think he us still under 21 and will have a huge reach advantage over just about anyone else. The kid has got to be about 6 foot 5 or taller. He is pretty new to the sport and his up side looks good.

• Administrators

Good conditions. Good boats. Low stress CP gets my bet.

Cash prize event. Variable conditions Asher gets my bet.

The new guy who I think could be the next guy to explore 43 is Freddie Winter. He is the guy I am watching. I expect him to be the next big star in the sport.