Vapor Boots and Sequence Plate

Moggie

I’m currently running double Vectors on my 2013 Strada and the laces have started to break. Using some ‘man-maths’ I’ve rationalised that I’m better off upgrading to some 2015 Vapors. I’m a US size 11-11.5 and from another post it seems the size 12 is the way to go. Since my vectors just screwed straight to the ski what is the situation regarding the Vapors and the Sequence Plate? Is this something which is necessary to mount the boots or does it provide some performance benefit?

Many Thanks

• Baller

@Moggie‌ The Sequence plate is nice piece of gear. There are two sets of central holes you can choose to locate the plate on the ski that are slightly offset from each other. They give you the ability to fine-tune your binding location.

Furthermore, you can choose to use the floating inserts at the front and/or back or not. Wherever you use the floating inserts, the ski is allowed to flex more than usual. This may make the ski turn better, or even turn too aggressively. If you find the ski tends to bite too hard when turning, remove the floating inserts from the front and bolt it down tight to the ski. If the ski still wants to turn too aggressively, remove the back inserts and bolt firmly too.

You can also space and rotate your bindings to preference.

Finally, the Sequence plate isn't your only option. There are also two separate Radar binding plates so you can have a more traditional separate plate on each boot. Combined, these are a bit lighter than the Sequence but they do not float or provide as many fore and aft location options as the Sequence. You can, however, still rotate your bindings as much as you like with the double plates.

• Baller

Have been using the sequence plate for 4-5 years. At our lake we are always trying new skiis

(thanks to Horton) or jumping on a friends ski to try it. Makes changing bindings quick and simple, only six screws. I actually own two sequence plates and have a older pair of vapor bindings on one of the plates if I want to jump on a ski to try it. I don't think of it as fas as

performance, just a nice convenience.

Ok so I have the Vapor boots on the sequence plate but I have no idea how it fits to the ski.

I have 6 screws, 4 doughnut shaped washers and 4 metal spacers. Can someone advise what goes where and which way round etc. I tried to find some articles in the forum but the links don't seem to work anymore.

Cheers

• Baller

@moggie First you want to measure the distance from the lower lace on the back of the front boot to the end of the plate, this will make measuring and adjusting boot location easy with both boots on the plate, on the ski. My sequence plate is 14.75" from rear heal to end of plate. Most skis are somewhere between 28-30" from rear of front boot to tail.

You do not have to use the metal stand off washers, I simply put 1 plastic disc on the 2 front screws to fit between the plate and ski, and screw the plate right down. Rear screws you use the horseshoe, and can do the same thing, or use the spacers. Plastic washer always goes against the ski. I actually keep the rear of my plate floating using the spacers, but not the front. put the spacer on, then thread a plastic disc so the disc is what's touching the ski, not the metal spacer.

So I tried out my double Vapor bindings on the sequence plate for the first time this morning and wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW! I expected a change but it was like I was on a new ski. For reference of my limited ability, I consistently ski 34 mph 15off, and had only once run 36mph 15off; I occasionally run 34mph 22 off.

First the performance; having such direct connection to the ski reminded me of the first time I skied my 2013 Strada, it felt so twitchy when skiing flat, it was begging to be on an edge. Across the wakes I could hold an angle I’d never achieved with the Vector boots. They felt so solid. Strangely it made the wakes feel harder, not in a bad way, just that I felt more of a thud. I really struggled to engage the turn on my onside. I didn’t feel the snap like I used to. It was turning, just slower than I expected and wanted. I will double check binding position tonight. My offsides however were great. They felt fast without snapping and just so so smooth. The result was that I matched my PB (2 @ 22off, 36mph). I should have run much deeper into 22off but made a silly error at 2 and only tried the pass once. I followed up with the easiest 22off 34mph I’ve ever skied. 22off 36mph is going down and very soon!

The downside; my feet were in a whole world of pain. I’m a 11/11.5 shoe size and ordered the Vapors in a 12. Standing on the dock they’re fine, I can just feel the end of the boot with my big toe. After a few passes however the arch of my feet were in agony. It’s like I did two sets skiing on my toes. Not sure if this is good and I will adjust or whether I need to do something about it. The other thing was that my front quad felt burnt out after 3 passes. It’s like I was skiing with one leg. In my back boot I used the sole-insert to lift the heel a little so I suspect this may be why. Considering I’m often guilty of being too heavy on my back foot this could be a good thing, once my leg adjusts to the new torture.

All in all, for the satisfaction of running more buoys I’ll gladly suffer the pain. Hopefully it’s just because they’re new and I’ll adjust. I could look at having the liners heat moulded, not sure how much of a difference this makes. This wasn’t supposed to be a review but I’ve just kept rambling. Anyway it’s been an interesting morning. If anyone’s had a similar experience with the Vapors it would be useful to hear how you got on with them after the honeymoon period.

• Baller

@Moggie‌ I am surprised size 12 would be tight on your big toe and uncomfortable when your shoe size is 11/11.5. That should not be the case at all.

At the risk of insulting you (don't mean to) - be sure you did not have left liner in right boot, and right liner in left boot. Not that I ever did this, but if you do, they will feel tight and cramp your big toe. If they were correct, give them time, they will pack out a bit and you will love them.

Haha, yeah the liners are on the right foot. They're perfectly comfortable on the dock, just painful when skiing. The big toe isn't a problem its more the arch of my foot if anything.

Does anyone know where to measure front binding position from?

• Baller

I used some folded up paper towels taped over my toes and cut the toe off a thick sock and pulled that end over my toes before molding my liners and never had a problem.

Regarding measuring binding position use the stitches at the back of the boot on the bottom.

I would figure out how far the back of the rear boot is from the back of your front boot for easy adjustments to skis if using the Sequence plate. For a friends ski we used a straight edge at the back of the front boot and one at the back of the ski then measured off to the side to get a binding position.

• Baller

For everyone with a Sequence plate... The next time you take your binding setup off the ski, do this:

1. Mark, take notes, pictures of the position of the rear boot shell on the sequence plate, then remove it.
  2. Measure from the back of your front boot to the back edge of the Sequence plate. Mark this number down on your sequence plate somewhere near the rear of your front boot.

3. Remount your rear shell to the Sequence plate.

From now on, you can simply measure the distance from the end of the Sequence plate to the tail of the ski and then add the measurement you marked from the steps above to get the total front foot measurement. This allows you to easily measure without having to remove your rear shell.

Even more cool would be if Radar provided the following measurements:

1. From front foot shells' center screw hole to rear of sequence plate
  2. From center insert to rear of binding for each size of Vapor/Strada shell.
Quick Reference Chart that lists all of the shell sizes and their Sequence Plate Measurements:

#1 - #2 for every size = Front Boot distance from Rear of Sequence Plate.

@eddie_roberts_jr‌ - what do you think?