Four Towboats Approved For 2015

Horton

• Baller_
Mini vans are popular, they do the same job, weigh about the same, have about the same engine displacement (v6) and about equal in aerodynamics. Nissan, Dodge, Honda, Kia and Volkswagen are among the most popular. Gas mileage is within one to two gallons of each other and 3 of them are the same. So after a 100 mile trip, you save approximately one dollar. Pretty sure your going with brand loyalty, comfort, drive characteristics and so on long before fuel consumption. And in autos, fuel consumption is a selling factor (just not when it's apples to apples but more like v4 vs v6). Now you could go back to the first light weight, slightly smaller original dodge mini van and drop a more modern efficient drive train in it and squeak out some better mph but who wants that. @ALPJr‌ is most likely correct in the GTO being the most efficient...but betting sales are not through the roof for Gekko because of it. And it's 15k less (kinda the 97 SN with a 343 idea). Very doubtful a market shift would take place.

• Baller
One specific parameter does not change buying patterns. That's been proven time and again with price. The majority of the buying public doesn't really care about price or fuel economy. If they did you'd see a hell of a lot less Cadillac Escallades out there. It's the same in boats. They want features, comfort, performance, and name. Mark my words, CC could bring back a 196 and it wouldn't take appreciable market share from the 200.

• Baller
A small run of 196s would cost damn near the the same as a 200. In 2009, promo price on a 196 was $39k+. Factor in 2015 cost of money and one time start up costs on all the pieces which are no longer in production and a 196 would be pricey. Even if the 196 molds weren't destroyed, they've been sitting for 5 years. Which means they'd need refurbishing. If they have been destroyed, you'd need to digitize a new buck from an existing hull and build at least two new sets of tooling. You'd be into tooling to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• Baller
Unfortunately don't believe Correct Craft could produce a 196 near CP prices using their production process, labor and margins. So (unless they contract Centurion or Gekko to build em HA or just buy CP) I Love the 4 quality choices we have. A few years ago it looked like there might only two boats to choose from. With the possibility of Gekko back in the game next year things are actually looking up for the traditional ski boat market.

@ShaneH‌ - do you think a limited run of 196's priced at a CB 200 wouldn't sell? The sadle bags don't work for me. The MC design seems much better. We had a 196 and were in the market for a 200. We didn't fit. We are in a TXI today. I like the 196 better than the 200. A limited run would be awesome.

Before we were skiing from the boat launch. Today we live on the lake and 196 would be great. I'm hopeful CC will go away from the saddle bags on the new hull. If so, then I will take back my limited run 196 request and make a run at a CB 200.

• Baller

My contention is that the SN 196, were it possible to price match a Carbon Pro...would sell out a limited run of production. Now it certainly may not be possible particularly since it's been out of production for some time.

@skiray all of 'em should have ski racks like the new Prostar...and it's ZO interface...and it's bimini top.

• Baller
It's just not financially feasible to do a limited run. Start up and sunk costs are amortized across multiple hundreds of boats. Both for the boat manufacturer and it's suppliers. With a single tooling set running well into 6 figures, a limited run would drive the cost sky high.

• Baller_

+2 on the trunk....Wait! I was on that design team scratch that.

As for the ski racks?? Nope! Ever see a rope recoil into the boat while your mega buck slalom ski was in the rack in a mega buck ski boat?? Not pretty!

Thanks Horton for posting the Towboat update.

Happy New year to all on BOS!

• Baller
A couple of years ago, I and a couple others approached CC about a limited 196 run, and they said they do it with a minimum order around a million dollars. It was 25 boats roughly, as I recall. About $40k per boat. These were rough estimates, as we never got far enough into the talks, as we couldn't find 25 people to go in on it.

• Baller

You can see that it's difficult to put a ton of R&D into a slalom boat when you might sell 100 or so in the US...

Curious how many are sold internationally? Even if it doubles or triple the numbers, this a very small, very specialized market.

• Baller

While some older hulls have been equal to the latest generations I think the overall improvement in the quality of construction, interior design, plus fit and finish by all makers is worth going with the newer boats. (Some of the new cosmetic design and color choices might be suspect however! But to each their own)