Moving to San Antonio TX-need a place to ski

rq0013

• Baller

There is a lot of skiing in the area N of San Antonio. SMRR is about 45 min Zorn or Guadalupe Ski Plex is about the same distance. I would check out Capital Area Water Skiers. Todd you could chime in on what CASS has going on. Last year all the sites in the area hosted ski nights. Touch base with me when you get down and come take a set at SMRR with me. We will help you get acclimated to what's happening in Central TX.

Jeff Lindsey

• Baller

Thanks, Jeff. Rob, as Jeff mentioned, the closest competitive ski lakes are in Martindale, near San Marcos, just North of San Antonio. There are some public lake skiers who ski on Lake Medina, but it was hit hard by the recent droughts. Send me a private message with your email and I can get you into contact with some skiers who live in San Antonio.

http://www.waterskiaustin.com/Lakes/index.htm

Sounds like you may know where your new job is and you have yet to choose a location for a new home. With a ski site being part of your equation? If this is true ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do you wish to live on your future ski lake or do you plan to drive to ski as well as to work?

2. If you plan to drive, how far are you willing to drive to work? To ski?

SA and the surrounding area is quite large. All the private ski sites around (there are none inside) SA are also property owner sites with the exception of Frame Switch which is a ski lease lake.

You will find you have three basic choices:

A. Live on the lake and drive to work.

B. Live near work and drive to lake.

C. Live somewhere in between, roughly, and commute to the lake and to work.

Which site simple depends on how far you are willing to drive and where you new job is actually located. I live at GSP and drive an hour to North Austin everyday. My choice.

From Downtown San Antonio, per google maps (actual times may vary) drive times are ...

GSP - 45 minutes North

SMRR - 1 hour North

Austin Aquaplex 1 hour 10 minutes North

Frame Switch 1 hours 50 minutes North

Angel lake 2 hours East

Lakes of Katy 2.5 hours East

Nothing West (solid rock) and nothing South (mmm? just nothing) of San Antonio.

If your new job is in SA proper, south of and/or west of downtown I would point you to SMRR or GSP, as mentioned. These are the closets lakes to downtown SA proper. Both of which are actually closer to New Braunfels and San Marcos than to SA. They are also within 15 minutes of each other but are very different by design. Several folks own and ski at both locations.

If you are on the Northside of town the Aquaplex comes into play. East side Angel and maybe Katy.

Although, I have never skied Angle, I would say ALL of the local sites are great places to ski and/or live.

So, Welcome to Texas, where the water is warm, the skiers are friendly and the BBQ is arguably the best.

PS

You are going to need to adjust your fin this summer. 8-)

Horton has placed the google earth ski site file here on BOS:

ballofspray.com/home-v16/google-earth-ski-sites

Here you will also see Utopia River Ranch near SMRR, this is a private site and Ski Quest near Aquaplex, this is now a wakebaord cable lake.

hope this helps

• Baller
Thank you everyone for the responses. I will be working for John Deere as a parts sales rep, so I will be working out of the house/apt. So picking the lake or area I can ski the most at will be the main goal. I would love to buy a house on a lake (dream) but Im young and thats not in the cards for a little bit still. I can't wait to ski in warm water and extend my ski season. Are people skiing right now?? Thanks!!

• Baller

@rq0013 you don't have to worry about the lakes freezing over so it just depends how bad you want to ski. Last night we were down to 20 in Austin but that kind of weather usually doesn't stick around for more than a few days. Wind might be more of a problem this time year however we have had some really nice days in the last few weeks with almost no wind.

GSP (Guadalupe ski plex) is probably your best bet to find something reasonable to buy. Medina lake is still empty (West of SA). There's 2 other public lake south of SA that I've fished in but man they have some nasty water. Canyon Lake in New Braunfels is north of SA I believe its ok for level right now. New Braunfels or San Marcus might be a good place to look for an apt. and be closer to ski lakes.

• Baller

Not sure how far out you want to go...

To the E or NE (headed closer to ski sites) the cities are: Seguin (seh-geen), McQueeney, New Braunfels.

To the NW: Boerne (burn-ee), or maybe Comfort

To the N: Wimberly, Blanco, Shavano Park, Stone Oak

Hopefully some SA locals can comment on the pros/cons of the cities above.

I am also going to be moving to san antonio (Fort Sam Houston) this June. What is the best place to try to get some sets in on a course. I am from Charleston, SC and have been skiing at trophy lakes here. Looks and sounds like it is a bit of a drive to any private lake. Are there public lakes with a course or any private lakes I am missing? Would love to find some fellow skiers.

• Baller
Unfortunately there really aren't any viable public courses in the San Antonio/Austin areas because the lakes in San Antonio/Austin are simply too busy. I suppose that you could buy a portable course and move that course to different locations as conditions warrant, however, that seems like a hassle. I live on Lake Austin and fought skiing on public water for years before I finally bought a lot at Aquaplex. @kfennell is correct. Between SMRR and Aquaplex those are your best options. Send me a message and I'll pull you at Aquaplex.

@stewwb5 looks like we're in a pretty similar situation. I'll be moving to Fort Sam in June as well. My wife and I are both skiers and this was the first thing we researched when we found out where we'd be. Thanks everybody for all the input. We're looking forward to finding some new ski friends in the area!

• Baller
That is a lot to think about...how far to live from work/ski...but you also have to consider where the nearest in n out burger is...how far from Lockhart, TX you are...what the first burger to get at the cove is...which shiner bock you like...and of course, where to get the best puffy tacos.