What is your realistic price for a new slalom tug?

Bulldog

• Baller
With all the talk lately about new boat pricing I am just curious what you ballers THINK the price should be realistically....I know we all want really cheap boats with all the latest options try to keep it as honest as you can.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

I would be curious to see how much it actually costs to build a 200, CP, TXI, or Prostar. If the time ever comes, a new engine and ZeroOff in my 94' are looking more inviting. If I do buy another boat it will be the last one I buy, ever. I would be willing to pay a little more upfront for long term durability. My other concern is if they keep making the boats bigger, storage and towing will become a problem. I hope they keep them around 20' or less. The price of a boat now per the MSRP is more than my mortgage.

• Baller

I've skied behind the new Prostar and plenty of 200's and in my opinion no way are the pull, wakes, power, comfort and quality worth 7-8 times the value of my old 95' with a GT-40 and Stargazer. They are beautiful and don't get me wrong I would love to own a new one, but I truly think manufacturers are going in the wrong, unsustainable direction.

$40K seems realistic for a new direct drive without the bells and whistles of the wake boats,

NO - towers, ballast, tower speakers, lights, racks, storage, seating, stereo systems, surf systems…..

• Baller

In another thread, I mention that our Ski Club paid about $7,000. for a MasterCraft in the mid

1970's. Which would be a little over $30,000. today, considering inflation. And, yep, there have

been improvements in quality and ski-ability since 40 years ago. My admiration is out for you

people who can fork out $$ in the range of 80k for a ski boat these days, and not suffer the hit.

• Baller
Pricing now days is out if control. I bought three brand new boats. 2000 MB for $26,000, 2004 MC 197 $36000, 2005 Malibu Rlxi for $34000. It's crazy boats have more than doubled in ten years. I'm happy with my current boat paid for 1999 SN.

• Baller

I'd say between 40-45,000. That seems affordable and realistic with the financing options available now days. If you want to enter the wake/surf arena, maybe 10-15,000 more? Seeing new boats over $100,000 just seems WAY outta reach for most.

On a similar note, I've passed by some of the new bass rigs and can't figure how they can charge $50,000 or more for them either.

• Baller
Part of this depends on what you have to sell. My 2015 MC would not have been at all a reasonable purchase except I sold two boats to fund 2/3rds of the purchase price. Sold a 2005 Prostar (mine) and a 2009 Prostar (mine, but used by the Iowa Ski Team), coughed up $20k out of my pocket and I was there. If I didn't have something to sell, my price vote would be less than $40k.

• Baller
I "drank Horton's Kool-Aid" and took the Centurion option, makes a lot of sense. If you want a great pull, and save $10K - $20K, the MC and SN have some very cool options but they aren't worth that much IMO. (OK actually it's my third Centurion, have had great luck with them and my dealer. My 2000 Eclipse had great slalom wakes, but the CP tracks better and is the perfect slalom tug for my needs.)

• Baller
@MS that is why in MN you always want to buy slightly used from a private party - no sales tax. Always found it odd that used boat sales are taxed if you buy from a dealer but not an individual, something to do with the DNR not being a tax authority.