Ski-Doc Fin Protector

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2015/52959201-5056-8800-788d-a67078c02cef.jpg

Leave it to Mads and the crew at Ski Doc to re-think how to protect a ski. Ski-Doc is proud to introduce their new Fin Protector which not only will protect your fin, but also the top and sidewalls of your ski....AND....it will fit over most neoprene ski sleeves. Its really a simple concept, but having protection that fits properly, is ultra strong and design for skiers by skiers....this is truly a win win. Grab one now from Performance

• Baller_

Not a new idea. A copy of another design. Possibly better. That's the Fin Firkin design. Hope the folks at Firkin are working with SkiDoc and don't have patent. I've used the Fin Firkin for what seems a decade. Hands down this type of fin guard is the best as your fin is suspended inside and the fin guard does not use the fin itself as an attachment point. Looks like some good improvements on the design. Not sure it's $30more in improvements (his shipping is free I believe) but..maybe. Either way you go you cant go wrong.

http://www.shortline-sports.com/

gtlwfj5jg26c.jpg

• Baller

Not to turn this into a Fin Firkin thread, but a couple thoughts.

1) Looks like a melted piece of PVC pipe - the skidoc looks purpose molded and has an end cap and strap on it.

2) That FinFirkin website - just wow. After I figured out that you had to push "Home" from what should have been the home page, then you can see a picture of it.

• Baller
I beleive I'm the only person on here that has a ski-doc fin protector. What I liked about it over the finfurkin is that it covers much more of the tail of the ski protecting from those pesky airline people and traveling as well has an end cap and it also goes over your ski sock preventing any knocking or scratching of the fin and tail of the ski. Works great so far. I will post a pic of it later. A much more finished product than the finfirkin. The guys at ski doc are always developing new and great products for skiers I do have a number of them and they are always great to do business with.

• Baller_
Bruce has attempted and gone through lots of different materials. Tons of trial and error in design and the correct material. It's not your standard PVC pipe. Heat molded yes. Does the same job essentially. Cant deny that it's the same design. Not sure he is out to make big bucks or capture the fin protecting market. He just makes a simple product and runs a simple web site where you can buy one. SkiDoc looks more finished with a couple added elements. I'd be drilling some holes in the end cap though. Hate to have water collect and just sit in it. Not so sure it can be deemed a "new product". Improved...maybe.

• Baller
Nice thing about the FinFirkin, if you leave it on you ski like a friend of mind did, you can still make it up on your ski. After falling on his pull out twice, he got on the boat to check his ski and found his Firkin. That was 2013. He did it again last summer. I dug out a Sharpie and now there is a warning label on his Firkin. Something along the lines of "remove before use, dumba$$."

• Elite Skier
@mattP You're not alone mate, I've had one for the last month or so and I've done a fair bit of travelling with it to and from Florida from Louisiana. Really good. I used the Reflex foam thing before which was great but didn't protect the end of my ski. Best thing about it is that you can stick a ski sleeve under it and it'll stay on and protect it. Ski-doc is the way forward. Not expensive either, they should sell a bunch of these, well worth it.

• Baller
I never spent the money to patent the Finfirkin. If I sold one to every person who even knows what a slalom ski is, I would still be in the hole paying for the patent. They just have taken my design and tired to improve it so Ski Doc has done nothing wrong. I haven't bought one ( and I won't) to see how it works. I do make a Firkin that fits over a ski sock. However, the thickness of the sock allows the firkin to move easily and contact the fin. I would assume the Ski Doc design is the same. The whole intent is to suspend the fin.

• Baller

I will say that the end cap will make it impossible to put on backwards. A friend put my FinFirkin on my ski backwards and cracked it. Still worked for another year or so until I stopped using it and ultimately lost it though. It's probably still floating around my house somewhere though.

IMO we have the perfect blend of protection. The FinFirkin is an excellent fin protector for those who are budget minded. The ski-doc is really nice as well and has better protection but also has a steeper price tag.

• Baller_
I've never even come close to putting my Firkin on backwards. You'd really have to not pay attention to do that. Just look at the pic above. I don't even see how it can be put on backwards. Unless it's a really skinny ski.

• Baller

After reading the above posts I really wanted to comment. I work a lot on my skis and my friend's skis and I have developed some personal ideas, so I want to share my thoughts.

Personally I don't like fin protectors very much (with an exception of the above two types) and ski bags/hard cases, unless you are getting on a plane.

The wood ones touch the fin and in extreme situations can hurt it; also they do not fit my wing at 9.5 angle unless I trim the wood. Overall they give good protection during travel.

The plastic ones of the same design have a very snag fit and they might move your fin while you try to put them on. Also because they are slim there is an increased possibility to forget them on and try to ski with.

The foam ones offer very good protection but keep the moist in the fin and fin clump.

The tube ones are touching the bottom of the fin and they can make it move.

Fin Firkin let the fin suspending inside and also let the fin block and fin to dry and not develop rust leading to stuck bolts and fins, (I like it a lot).

I also like Ski Doc products, the simplicity of camera mount and the slick design of the work stations (I want to buy one). Their fin protector looks very durable, and a good choice for air travel but its close type might also keep the moist in.

I only use a fleece ski cover which protects my ski and car interior from scratching and try not to bang my fin around wile caring it. Neoprene sleeves work the same way but their close type at the back keep the end of the ski wet (Goode offers one with Velcro that help you to have most of the fin block exposed).

I can afford to use a fin protector only for travel (I have a wood one), I'm very careful with my ski and measure the fin if needed, but I also understand why a lot of skiers are using one. I also understand why some skiers wants their fin stacked not be able to move and use a fin protector to ensure that fin would not move.

Now reading this I’m thinking of buying a Fin Firkin and use it more. Maybe next time I visit the US.

The above are my personal thoughts.

Alex,

• Baller
The Finfirkin was originally designed to be an inexpensive product that you can slide on your ski when you get done with a slalom set. Whether it be back in the boat or on a dock. I don't know how many times I would see people (myself included) get back in the boat after a set and set their ski down on the floor of the boat. And what happens when the next skier was getting ready? The tool steps on your ski. Or someone has a ill trained dog or uncontrollable child running around on the dock. A slalom ski is a magnet for these mishaps. Because us slalom skiers need to have an excuse for a bad set, I felt it might be nice to try and take one excuse off the table and give some of the other countless excuses a chance. It is nice knowing that your fin has not been bent or moved since the last stellar set you had. I would watch people tinker with the fin for weeks moving it ever so slightly and making notes and moving it again only to toss the thing in the back of their vehicle when it was time to leave. Reminded me of Rays Rule of Precision: measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe. So that is why the Finfirkin came about.

• Baller
I'm not sure about this Firkin Fella as he is firkin weird and light in the loafers. He brought his Firkin to the lake and something either in his production methods or something that was in his truck where his Firkins were laying drove the dogs nuts! I am seriously considering litigation against him. My ski was on the dock with the Firkin properly installed and the dog began to hump my ski, then he got locked up and even after throwing him in the lake I could not get him free from the ski. After many attempts to get the Firkin Fella to pay the bill he refuses. My dog acts strange around him also, I think he feels violated.........

• Baller

Skiboat38,

In regard to your rant, I think a few things must be brought to light. First and foremost, there is certainly some genetic issue with that thing you call a dog. I have never seen a four legged animal of any type that has three legs on one side. So because "it" has an issue with a firkin or my mode of transportation is not my issue. It does look a bit like you and quite frankly has your personality.

This entire written spew is because you have not been given a firkin. When your official buoy count exceeds mine (even though i am 8 years your senior) I will sell you a firkin at a reduced rate to shut you up.

firkinguy, I believe you have skiboat38 diagnosed correctly. Actually, he's been known to enter bedrooms late at night with very questionable intentions. I enjoy my firkin as much as anyone, but skiboat38 really pushed the limits - especially with my wife in the room with me. Please just give this guy a firkin. I really believe he needs one.

• Baller

Mr. Bob,

Just so you are aware, I have witnessed the aforementioned watching you as you employ your firkin. It is creepy to say the least. And to see him scratch the grass up with his feet like a normal dog does (his dog falls over when it tries it) is just wrong.

• Baller
Firk you too BobH!!! I'm ganged up on by twin Chrome Domes! Although your illusions are somewhat correct neither give the entire picture! I did enter your room at a very late hour....but was extremely wasted and you and Miss Terri were in the room I always sleep in...but don' flatter yourself as you were not the only one in the room. Firkin Guy...you made my dog that way and speaking of your bouy count..."You are only as good as your last tourney".....it makes me wonder how valid those "C" tourneys you go to in the Midwest....if I remember the last tourney you skied I don't remember you getting through the first pass but once in 3 rounds and the last one talking trash to Regina. Oh what happened???? We could not tell, but the crash was incredible....and where did that power bouy end up.....I know you walked funny the rest of the weekend! Stay away from my dog MotherFirker!

• Baller
We are going to start talking about tournament performances are we? Are you sure you meant to type what you typed? Ok then.... Here we go. For the last 12 months you have 17 scores to your name. 5 of the 17 show you did not run your opening pass. That is 29.42% of the time. Not sure why you wouldn't just quit but heck, way to hang in there little buddy. I on the other hand had 2 of 16 scores that I stooped to your level. One of those was skiing at night against Regina. She asked me to sandbag and I did out of respect for the sport. The crash was my idea. And yes it did hurt. The other one was at our own tournament because I went out at a line length you never got to and didn't run it. It is very hard to ski when you can hear the crowd screaming your name and that is most likely what caused me to miss.

• Baller
Oh horse nipples! I was standing next to Regina when everyone busted out laughing!!! However I admit those were some awesome deep water starts you did, the water barely beaded up on your head....And yes many of those scores are 3rd round off the dock at 35.....and you must forget easily....I see your chrome dome skiing in the mirror 3 times a week which really makes me question those scores!! Again stay away from the dog....Firker!

• Baller
Hey Firkin Fag! Since it is Memorial day weekend I thought I would check in on that bout count you were bragging about. is it about 5 right now? I don't think I have seen you run a pass....however I have seen some out the fronts....a Goode 9600 broken in half.....and monkey screwing a football trying to figure out the XT.....on btw.....thanks for the Firkin.....not sure if I can use it with the performances you are putting on so far!

• Baller
For the record, the buoy count soared this weekend. From 5 to 84. As poorly as I have skied, I am a mere pass plus a few buoys behind your performances. I will admit it has been a somewhat slow start this year. And yes I have done more out the fronts than I would like but at least I am still hanging in there. After all to break a ski backwards isn't something you get to see everyday. For that you should be thanking me. And once Goode sends me a ski with a complete bottom I anticipate some tears and possibly a salute from shore. The salute is optional but the tears.....Oh My.