Air or water temperature, what matters more when it comes to skiing on the off season?

skialex

• Baller

In my country we are experiencing a weather pattern that has started right before Christmas and still goes on until today. every Monday to Wednesday temperature drops substantially with snow, rain and strong cold winds and every Saturday and Sunday it's sunny calm and unusually warm. This has given me the opportunity to still ski every weekend but also drove the water temp down quite a lot.

Today the weather is great for waterskiing again but I have the flu and I'm at home reading BOS and trying to put my thoughts into this thread. I wish I knew how to put this into a poll.

So what would you choose, a sunny warm day with cold water or a cold calm day with warmer than air water?

• Baller

I do quite a bit of cold weather skiing. For me, it's all about the wind. Water in the upper 40's, air in the 40's, and light or no wind.....I can ski till I'm tired. Multiple sets too.

Start getting into the low 40's or upper 30's water and air in the 30's and it's a crap shoot whether I'm skiing till I'm tired or too cold. But no wind and that scenario and I can typically go till I'm tired.

The more I think about it, it's probably a psychological problem. I really do hate wind. :)

• Baller

I'll take warmer air over cold water. If the air is cold it just makes that 34-36 MPH painful. I was at a polar bear event where the air temp dropped early in the morning to 27F but the water was 34F. The water felt like a hot tub when I dropped after my run.

In the spring it's the same situation but warmer water and air temperatures. Sure it's a shock to drop in off the platform from 60F air to 40 F water but once you are up you feel fine.

Another polar bear event the water was right at freezing. We had a warm front swing in before the event and the air was just above 40F, that was probably the best polar bear event as far as conditions go I've been to. No brain freeze and no numb hands.

• Baller
Skiing in canada well into November is cold. Last I checked air and water temp were both reading COLD. I find it's most tolerable to opt out of the dry suit which tends to restrict circulation causing hands and feet extreme discomfort. Best to go with the wet suit and neo vest. And get skiing as soon as possible. Dry clothes are a must soon as your done.