Losing Weight ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

So I decided it's time to sort out my weight issue, surely I must be doing something wrong, I have not lost any weight, either that or my scales are broken

I have dropped my calorie count to 1500 a day, I use an app called "My Fitness Pal" it allows you to put in exercise which then adds to calories you can eat and still achieve effectively 1500 calories a day, I have been back in the Gym about four weeks now, here,s a typical weeks physical regime.

Monday

1/2 hour interval training on elliptical trainer vigorous effort

6 sets of 10 clean and jerk, followed by 10 step ups each leg with weight on shoulder (cannot do lunges because of knees), followed by 10 straight dead lifts, wait 30 seconds go again.

Arm curls with bar, reps of 12,10,8,10 increasing in weight back down for the last 10 for the burn.

Upright row same as above

pull downs same reps as above

Shoulder press same reps as above

Lat pull downs same reps as above

Individual arm curls same reps as above

!/2 hour Stationary bike

Tuesday

45 minutes elliptical trainer performance

1/2 our Stationary bike

Wednesday

1/2 hour interval training on elliptical trainer vigorous effort.

Leg press, reps of 12,10,8,10 increasing in weight back down for the last 10 for the burn

Leg Pull downs

Various resistance exercises with weights using bench

1/2 our Stationary bike

Thursday

1/2 our Stationary bike

Friday

1/2 hour interval training on elliptical trainer vigorous effort

6 sets of 10 clean and jerk, followed by 10 step ups each leg with weight on shoulder (cannot do lunges because of knees), followed by 10 straight dead lifts, wait 30 seconds go again.

Arm curls with bar, reps of 12,10,8,10 increasing in weight back down for the last 10 for the burn

Upright row same as above

Pull downs same reps as above

Shoulder press same reps as above

Lat pull downs same reps as above

Individual arm curls same reps as above

!/2 hour Stationary bike

Saturday

1/2 our Stationary bike

Sunday Rest Day

How much you eat determines your weight.

If your stomachs not flat you are eating too much.

Ever watch Survivor or Naked and afraid? They loose 20-30 lbs in couple of weeks....

You CANNOT, NO WAY, CANNOT out run, ride,swim,ski,lift,elliptical,pull,press,row,push,bike,curl your mouth...

The fork always wins the race.

• Baller

@Stevie Boy , I bet you'll getter better advice if you care to share... your age, height, current weight, & weight goal?

My 2 cents (and I'm no expert) generally give it a couple months to "shake out", as you initially may be replacing fat with (heavier) muscle. What does the mirror show?

My diet theory is simple...."move more, eat less", but someone surely will chime in regarding the calorie count. Possibly your body has gone into "starvation mode" to protect itself?

Keep up the good work...that looks to be an admirable routine.

• Baller

Ok, age 61 yrs old, Height 5'6" currently weighing in at 180Llbs, I would love to go 160Llbs but would settle for 168Llbs, I still have more to do regards my skiing, to achieve that goal, I know I must be lighter.

I have been held back over the last two years, mentally protecting my left knee and have stayed away from exercise that may load or damage it, I have decided to throw caution to the wind and get into the gym and get the work done.

My knee actually feels better for it.

• Baller

What you are eating is huge. When I follow a Paleo diet I don't need to count calories but rather what I am eating. If I stay with protein, fruits and vegetables and avoid processed carbs and sugars I shed weight pretty easily.

With my son we went to a sports nutritionist who had him follow what looked a lot like a Paleo diet with a small amount of whole grains. He also got 1 100 calorie cheat a day and 1 cheat meal a week. He lost almost 20 pounds in about 3 months. He started at 5'8" and 189 lbs and dropped to 171 while adding muscle.

It sounds like you are eating more than 1500 calories a day because you say effectively 1500 calories after exercise. What those calories are makes a difference.

You are getting more than enough exercise. While I am not a trainer you could probably be more efficient and lose weight with less gym time if you get your diet right. If you just like to go to the gym have at it.

• Baller

I am trying to eat protein ie: Steak, Chicken, Fish, Veg, cut out sugar in drinks etc.

Basically what ever calories I burn when doing exercise, I add on to the 1500, so I could end up with 2500 or more available, but I generally end up consuming about 1500-1600

Every thing I eat goes into the "My Fitness Pal App" it,s got calorie count for every conceivable food you can think of, I also put my cardio exercise in, so it calculates how many calories you have used and how many are available for you to eat, I do not put the resistance training in though.

Seeing that a Male should consume approx 2500 calories a day, I was hoping the weight would move quite quickly.

• Baller

You should be able to loose 1-2 pounds a week. Some weeks you might lose more and some weeks you will lose less. I would recommend setting up your food plan and sticking to it don't eat more because you exercised more that day. It is important to get protein within 30 minutes of doing a strength workout. My son used protein powder shakes I generally eat breakfast after going to the gym which consists of 3-4 eggs, turkey sausage and a banana.

When I am successful at controlling my diet it looks like this:

Breakfast - 3-4 eggs, turkey sausage or canadian bacon, fruit.

Lunch - Salad with chicken

Dinner - Protein (chicken, steak, pork), vegetable, fruit or a salad.

If I am more than 3 hours between meals I do snack usually on protein or nuts. I will eat jerky, a few almonds (don't eat too many nuts while good for you they are high in calorie), some cold cuts (not ideal but easy) or left over protein from the fridge. I also eat Lara bars and if I am looking for something sweet I will have a Kind bar but they have some sugar in them.

A couple of years ago I lost 30 pounds eating like this and exercising 4-5 days a week. I lost track of my diet when I got hurt and put about 20 lbs back on I have just refocused on my diet trying to get that 20 lbs back off by the end of May.

@Stevie Boy , Body size, muscle mass, activity level etc. determine calorie need. Think abot it, a semi-truck uses a lot more fuel than a Ford Focus, right?

I've been a dietitian for over 20 years. So, consider my advice worth exactly what you paid for it... First of all, you are on the right track with using an app to track your food. Probably the biggest recommendation I would have is to weigh and/or measure EVERYTHING you eat. Don't guess. Trust me, you probably aren't very good at guessing or estimating how much food you are taking in. I've had so many people over the years SWEAR to me that they are doing this and that but when they actually measure their food they are amazed at the amount they eat.

Don't trust what the website says as far as how many calories you burn with exercise. If it's wrong, you will be doing what you think is right when in reality you may be eating right at maintenance levels. You will become frustrated in a short time in this fashion. Personally, if I spend the time in the gym to burn the calories then why would I "undo" that by eating more later on? I know some people do this but it seems very counterproductive to me. Keep your calories at current bodyweight x 10 (180x10=1800). When you get down to 175, go to 1750 etc. Protein probably about 120 grams/day, Carbs about 180-225 grams and the rest fat. This should provide enough carbs for energy and enough protein to maintain your muscle mass. These aren't exact numbers so don't stress about trying to hit them exactly everyday. It's a BIG PICTURE. The main thing is, keep your calories where you need them. Make it a numbers games and you will succeed. Holler at me if you have any questions. Best of luck!

• Baller

My simple .02 - forget about all the weights and spend way more than 30 minutes on the exercise bike. 30 minutes on a bike is nothing in terms of calories or exercise. Swimming is great exercise - do laps for an hour.

Also find things to do on the weekend that are going to keep you moving around all day - don't sit on the couch watching sports all weekend, do something. Doesn't matter if it is some sort of home construction project or walking around the zoo, park, etc. having to spend time in the gym everyday is a sign that your actual life is not active enough. (OK, maybe some people actually like the gym - but there are so many more interesting ways to be active)

And on counting calories - you're trying to lose 12-20 lbs, not 300. Eat a little better, maybe a little less and the increased activity should take care of it.

• Baller
@oldjeep hits a key point. What are you doing when you are not working out? I exercise every morning before work and try to keep my eating under control. It wasn't until I started taking my kid to the gym after dinner that I started to drop some weight. During the winter I struggle finding something to keep me off the couch after dinner. Just getting on the treadmill for a 45minute brisk walk after dinner was enough to get me over the hump. The walk isn't so much that I don't feel tired when exercising the next morning.

• Baller
Thanks Guy,s I will really make a effort to work with a lot of your suggestions, I was starting to wonder if all the effort was worth it, but I am going to stick with it and see if my weight starts to reduce, I can tell you now, the regime is grueling, feels great when I am done, but can take quite a bit of mental determination to get going.

• Baller
I think your workout program takes a lot longer than you need. To get the results you are looking for I don't think you need to do 6 rounds of those exercises. This would make it less grueling without hurting results. The strength/conditioning portion of my workouts usually doesn't take more than about 45 minutes total including strength and conditioning. When I eat right I lose weight. I usually spend about and hour and a half at the gym when you factor in warm up and stretching. Your workout looks like a three hour commitment.

• Baller

Agreed with gt2003 about calories. If you cut too many, you'll slow down your metabolism. I've read that metabolism accounts for 60-80% of your daily caloric needs.

Keep lifting the weights. Use a medium to medium heavy weight and keep rest periods short...under 30 seconds would be ideal. Even better, do compound movements with alternating sets and opposing muscle groups (ie. squats paired with pushups) . If your heart rate stays up and you're sweating, you're in the right zone. High intensity is important and will increase your EPOC, which will help increase metabolism.

Agreed that bodyweight makes a significant impact on skiing. Sounds like you're on the right track and your work out schedule looks impressive. Good luck.

• Baller
Or........buy a doberman and you will not need a specialized exercise program. Your pal will schedule all activity and hold you to it three or more times daily, 7 days a week! Caloric intake is continuously monitored and taste tested with huge sad eyes and big smiley teeth. Pal cleans you up when finished and counts as an observer when needed.

• Baller

I went from 220lb to 165 in just a matter of a few months by cutting out carbs and light excercise. I've been able to maintain 175 to 180 range for over 10 years which I think is a good weight for me. I rarely ever drink sweet drinks, before I was drinking 4 Cokes a day. Almost no bread. I really like meats and vegetable anyway so it is really easy to stick with. I cheat once or twice a week and have a hamburger or some pie or similar.

I've never counted colories at all. As for as exercise I never got crazy with it, ride bicycle some, stretching and basic exercises at home. I now try to go to the gym a few times a week in the off season but didn't when I was first loosing weight.

Really, I probably have a harder time during ski season maintaining weight because I tend to not have as time to eat properly. I feel a lot better and have more energy when I'm eating right so it's good incentive for me to stick with it.

• Baller

Looks like plenty of exercise. Measure your portions to calibrate your portion sizing or read the box and eat 1 serving. eat for performance not "weight loss" 5-6 meals a day. The three main ones should be around 350-500 calories and two to three snacks such as granola bar fruit even semi plain typical snacks that aren't terrible probably about 150-300 calories. Make sure to eat 3 fruits and 5 veg servings daily this is what builds a good healthy body. And maybe try jogging, ellipticals tend to be very liberal on the number of calories they say you burn. For jogging walk on and off and have an easy effort be light on your feet and run smooth. The speed comes later work on distance first. 5-15 miles a week depending on your abilities.

Nasm cpt ces, nesta, ncsf certified and 6 years experience. With my open rating in slalom

• Baller

I would love to run, do Squats, lunges, etc, I used to, but that's a big no no, several surgeries on knees, my left knee is on borrowed time, already had Microfracture, so I have to find workarounds for several routines.

When I was a lot lighter and fitter than the present, I was running 8 miles a day, the weight just fell off.

I addressed diet earlier. However, I agree with the thought that you are exercising too much. Your goal is to lose weight, not lose weight and sacrifice muscle. When you are cutting calories like you are and exercising profusely, you are very likely losing muscle mass. Your body will burn your carbohydrate stores first, once those are depleted it will start using your lean muscle mass for fuel. So, if you do too much and at too high of an intensity then it will likely cause effects you don't want to have. I'd say do about half of your cardio in the "fat burning zone", about 100-110 heart rate for you. The other half you can get your cardio on and get after it. Thanks @OB for reminding me of this and bringing it into the conversation. It's never a one sided story. However, please don't forget what @mrpreuss said because I swear to you, over 20 years of experience has shown me time and time and time again:

You CANNOT, NO WAY, CANNOT out run, ride,swim,ski,lift,elliptical,pull,press,row,push,bike,curl your mouth...

The fork always wins the race. (compliment of mrpreuss)

Start with you food first, weigh, measure and track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. "If you bite it, write it"!

• Baller

@gt2003 "Start with you food first, weigh, measure and track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. "If you bite it, write it"! "

I just don't see how that is sustainable. Diets fail because they are a pain in the rear and are not normal behavior. Again, he's not trying to loose 300lbs its 12-20. Make a couple lifestyle changes and live life. Turning losing a few pounds into a fulltime job is why people can't seem to lose weight and keep it off.

@oldjeep , I agree, it's a difficult task to sustain long term. With that being said, he's obviously not happy with his success at the time being. Documenting food intake will not only make him more aware of what and how much fuel he is putting in his body, it will allow him to "learn" what foods he should include in his diet once he has reached his goal. I'm not saying he should do it forever, just that if he wants to kick start his weight loss and start having success that it is a great starting point. And yes, i do have a tendency to overemphasize it because many, many, many people want to justify their food intake, talk about how much they are exercising then wonder why they aren't successful. Just trying to get him through his tough spot, that's all.

• Baller

I think it's too much too soon. Shock the body and it rebels. The goal of the body is to maintain at it's higest level of fatness.

The reason this doesn't work is that its a short term shock. The body adjusts and he stays stuck. You have to ease into this as a life change not a weight loss plan.

My advice-start slow with small changes. No more than 5-10% change in calories or exercise in any week. Don't be militant and live life a bit but don't use as an excuse to be crazy either. Every month or so relax for a week. Again, don't go crazy but give yourself a break.

Over time you get into a groove and figure out how much of what foods you can consume and you continually increase the intensity, resistance, or duration of exercise and make sure you have lots of variety.

If you do this continually then within a couple of years you will be in the shape you want and you will want to live this way.

My .02c

• Baller

@oldjeep "I just don't see how that is sustainable. Diets fail because they are a pain in the rear and are not normal behavior. Again, he's not trying to loose 300lbs its 12-20. Make a couple lifestyle changes and live life. Turning losing a few pounds into a fulltime job is why people can't seem to lose weight and keep it off."

The real point of logging calories is to teach you how to eat properly. It doesn't have to be a life long project although you will probably refer back to it here and there when you start gaining a bit of weight. Once you learn how to structure a proper meal, you make those your go to meals. If you learn how to balance your macros, (protein, carbs, fats) and keep the total calories under control you have changed your lifestyle. You can lose weight by eating only twinkies if you hit the right caloric number, you will however be very hungry. There are great foods that you can eat that are not calorie dense and will keep you satisfied. That is what you learn when you log foods for a while. Most people would be totally shocked if they honestly logged all their food for a short while and saw how poor their diet was in terms of total caloric intake and macro breakdown. It's no secret why most of the country is considered obese. You can lose weight and not be hungry. On a side note to the discussion, IMO weight training is the very best form of exercise you can do for yourself. If @StevieBoy is able to preform the routine he listed and feel good at the end It's not too much! He has listed no working weights, and we have no idea what his muscle mass body fat is like. You do too much and your body will let you know. Stay after it your on the right track.

• Baller_
I think the Nutra System is funny and proves @skiboyny point. From what I have seen of it the portions are just tiny. Find someone on the program and barrow the tiny tray their food comes in and your on the same diet. All I did last spring was stop eating carbs after 12 noon. Ate 3 meals and 2 snacks and NOTHING before bed. Changed nothing else and was skiing normal sets. 13lbs gone. 5'9 186 to 173. Injured myself in Nov plus school sporting events and meals out and 7 have came back. I need to do better portion control and get back to no carbs after noon and back to skiing more. It is not hard to change something like this. It's a small but impactful life style change as @skiboyny suggest . And I never really ate less and was never hungry. @OB said it best (refuring to carb control) when we were losing weight around the same time. "We are losing weight because we stopped shoving pie in our pie hole".

• Baller

I have been doing the Insanity workout. In this off season I have cut back on the weight training and concentrated on more cardio based. I do some of the P90x workouts with it, but only 2 days a week. As the season draws closer I will be doing cardio only. I have dropped 11 pounds since Christmas. I am 5'9'' and started out at 208 lbs. I weighed in a week ago at 197. I have also taken an inch off my waist. The nutrition plan shows you how to calculate your calorie requirements. I am eating 5 small meals a day. Take your body weight, multiply it by 12 and that is the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. Subtract 500 off that if you are trying to lose. Insanity is a more cardio based program, and P90x is more of a resistance based program. As the season draws closer I move away from resistance training and more toward cardio. The skiing will provide the strength training during the season. I did a ton of weight training last year and bulked up way too much. I had a terrible season in tournaments. Not a good way to start your first year in Men 4. Just to qualify for the Midwest Regionals I have to ski a personal best in every tournament. No less than 2@35off to make the cut. My PB is 2@35off in a tournament 4@35off in practice. Once the season starts I am going to go back to the shorter versions of the workouts, and get back out on my rollerblades and bike on the days where I am not skiing. The Insanity workouts are pretty intense. I don't want to be too exhausted to ski.

• Baller

My other hobby is powerlifting. I eat like a sum bitch from August until Jan. 1 and watch my PL numbers go through the roof along with my waist. Then I cut for ski season. IMO, cutting a pound every 2 to 3 days sucks but is totally doable.

I weighed in at 228 Jan. 5 and was barely stuffing into size 38 jeans. Today I weighed in at 202 and my 36s are very loose. I'll be 190ish by April 1 and back in loose 34s or maybe size 32 jeans. I go effectively zero carb and pretty low cal six days a week and blow out one day a week with a large amount of carbs to keep me sane and keep my metabolism rolling. Like maybe 6-8kcals worth of carbs on re-feed day. I do almost no cardio; just weights (low reps, low volume, heavy) and a few sprints here and there. Once I hit my target weight, I'll start backloading carbs on lifting days post-training and increasing calories to maintain a sustainable target weight for ski season.

IMO, "diets fail" when you lack discipline or don't understand how your body works. That said, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Each person has to find what works for that person.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is did I eat too much?

If you did, you will NOT lose weight.

Metabolism is not easily manipulated. Starvation mode/eat more to turn it up?

Paperwork, charts food scales? too much work for the busy American.

Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

Good luck!!!!

My 39 lb daughter eats more than I do.... Hard to imagine how little you need to eat and once you get going. For me, I'm never hungry.

Exactly! Fat is nothing more than excess energy that your body didn't need so it stored it. To get rid of it you will need to eat slightly fewer calories than your body needs for the day. Your body will convert the stored fuel into energy to make up the difference. Over time you will lose weight. As mentioned, there are a million ways to do it. However, if you don't eat less than you need you simply won't lose. Exercise helps but it is SOOOOOO easy to outeat the amount of calories you burn through exercise. @Stevie Boy , are you thoroughly confused yet?

• Baller

Is a bit confusing, I get the Eat Less Do More bit, but how to get your body to be more efficient at burning calories, is the difficult bit, the only way, I have ever managed to lose weight in the past is to over train, but being a bit older now I end up with some sort of injury, went for some heavier weights this week and tweaked my hamstring so it's going to be a light week training wise, I did buy myself some protein powder shake stuff to replace a couple of meals a day.

"Diet Fuel Ultralean Meal Replacement Shake With Whey Protein" by USN

Just remember, no matter where the fuel comes from (fat, carbs, protein), if you eat too much you'll gain, If you eat just the right amount you'll maintain and if you eat less than your body needs you'll gradually lose. Don't make it more difficult than it is. People LOVE to make this difficult!

• Baller
I've done a little different this off season. Eat more (of everything - fats, carbs, protein), do more. I'm 2 lbs less than I was when I got hurt last May (190) but SIGNIFICANTLY stronger. I'd like to drop another lb or so, but frankly would just assume stay the same weight with slightly higher muscle content and slightly less fat.

• Baller

All due to some of the comments made by some of the kind people on this thread, I quit the food diary and substituted midday meal with a USN Diet Fuel shake, In the gym, I warm up with a performance program 30 minutes on the Elliptical trainer, Resistance training I increased the weight and cut down the reps, which was a lot harder than I thought it would be, Finish off with a challenging 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

I leave the Gym, with nothing left in the tank, I think the midday shake and the change to the resistance training regime are the things that have really made the difference.