Do you work on your own boat?

Horton

• Baller
My 89 Barefoot Nautique, which I bought new, has been to a mechanic once for a transmission issue. Carbs and points are easy, but honestly it's been a great boat and virtually trouble free. When I find the 196 w/theZR6, I'll have to learn something new.

• Baller_

For the maintenance, mechanical repairs and winterization, I have the dealer do it.

However, I did install my shower, heater, and heated seat.

Yes, @Horton, I know - "What's winterization?"

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Everthing. 2000 Ski Nautique GT40 Just got done replacing rear main oil seal and damper plate. Had the "rocks in a can" noise only between 700-900 rpm when in gear. Replaced oils, filters and impeller. Polished, waxed, deep cleaned carpet and vinyl. With a heated garage and my old job experience of turning wrench's years ago I actually enjoy it and it gets me through the winter. Parts by Skidim always.

• Baller_

Can do the general stuff...oil, thermostat, impeller, packing, wires, plugs, filters and such. Used to do a little more on my carbed PCM Supra. Changed the wood floor for composite and did the carpet in that boat. But being a skier on a budget DYI, seeking help from friends (have a gear head buddy....sooo knowledgable), web sites like this all help a great deal and keep the cost down. But with all the electronics on the fuel injected computerized motor along with other big things, even help doesn't get it all done so pros are a must. But it really helps to have one of these...300+ pages of help.

504bueye6i6t.jpg

I do the little things as far as winterizing, spark plugs/wires, installed a new radio, oil, lower unit oil etc (yes, I/O...). If something goes wrong and I am confident I can fix it then yes, I do it on my own. Up until now, I've been a pretty good judge as far as where I draw the line between what I do myself and what I have the boat shop do for me. I did rebuild a pair of sea-doo engines a few years back (top end).

• Baller
I have installed, heaters, cruise controls, gauges (oh my back!) and changed oil and impellers. But I actually take my boat in to dealer for full going over, oil winterize and suggested service. I have seen too many buddies DIY and then have little issues in the spring like busted heater cores, trans coolers etc. It's worth it for peace of mind and I like to give my dealer some work.

• Baller
I try to do as much as I can unless it's computer related. Most dealers around here are about 500 bones give or take a 100 for a winterize/service... I can do it myself for about $100.... 3 or 4 hundy can buy a lot of beer.. And the going shop rate is well north of 110 an hour here

Do almost all of it myself. Carb engine with no electronics makes it easy. I like messing with points etc. It's a good feeling to hear your boat running well and know you had a hand in it. When I first got my boat I took it to a dealer to winterize. They screwed it up so I decided to do all the work myself from that point on.

• Baller

I have been doing it all. Winterizing, PP Stargazer, plugs, impeller, heater,grease, etc.till 650hrs now. But, what do I do with an electronic ('07 Indmar Monsoon) when it needs more loving? Must have to take it to someone with a computer analyzer and electronic tune up skills?

• Baller

@Bwhite - there are some commercially available MEFI cables/software but they are not cheap. There is a guy on another board who has been built a couple of his own cables and is getting the data streams out of a Malibu, but is still working on decoding the data that is coming out.

One option if you have MEFI 1-4

http://www.mefiburn.com/mefiscan.asp

If you have MEFI 5 then it is a lot more expensive

http://www.mefiburn.com/mefi5scan.asp

Unfortunately it hasn't quite gotten to the point cars are at, where I just plug in my $25 blue tooth OBD2 reader and look at all the data on my phone

• Baller
I winterize, detail, change oil and tranny fluid myself. Do some minor repairs myself, but take it to the marina for tune-ups, engine alignments etc. I bring it to a marina every 400 hours for service. That is part if the reason why I have never missed any skiing due to a breakdown. The season is too short as it is.

• Baller

Six miles in on a dirt road and crappy trailers. I kind of have to. Doug Moss gives me awesome telephone advice and has correctly troubleshot a couple serious issues. Now I have to fix the GPS issue with my boat...

Wait, did anyone really think I am not a DIYer?

Eric

• Baller
I keep to the simple stuff that I can't screw up. Oil, Winterize, change out a definitely bad part(thermostat, water pump,steering cable) Did put some skins on I bought from Chee(when you could actually get them from him) Will not do major engine work ie, lifters etc or anything fiberglass or gelcoat.

I've always done everything myself. Luckily, the only part failure I've had was a fuel pump. Pretty easy to replace. The only thing I didn't do was install the tower. That's because I dropped it off so that they could build the tower to the boat. Other than that, it's all me. The list includes; all regular maintenance, winterizing, now on the third stereo system including sub enclosure and elimination of tower speakers B) , gauge and switch panels reworked for elimination of Airguides and addition of PP Stargazer, design and install of ballast system which includes entire trunk redesign to accommodate custom ballast sacs, rebuild/reshape swim platform, install FAE, underwater transom lights, all new bunks and inner fenders. I'm sure there's more. Installed pop up cleats! I even do my own hoisting.

4oaxm6rc4f8g.jpg