Mid-loops

rok

• Baller
Who uses mid-loops? I've found it helpful to ski at 33.5 in order to make the transition from 32 to 35. Haven't broken into 38 yet (love my optimism!), but expect that skiing at 36.5 will also help this step be less difficult... Or am I losing time? Pros & cons?

• Baller
I have one between 22 and 28, and between 28 and 32. I like them. The mid-22 loop is just a slightly "crisper" feeling -22 pass before running headlong into the heartbreaker that is -28. I'll often pretend the mid-22 loop is actually -22 and get used to it. Helps increase feedback a bit on that pass and makes the "long" version feel very easy.

• Baller
BTW it's easy to rig these up if you just want to try out the concept. You don't need to buy a whole new rope. Take a short(er) section out of another rope and just loop it into that next loop when you need it. If you like the concept you can buy the real training loop sections from ML or InTow.

• Baller

Mid loops are not so great if you don't know they are on the rope you are using.

I borrowed a friends rope at a ski school without knowing he had a mid loop between 22 & 28, I started at 15 and shortened the rope 4 times and both me and the coach were sure I had ran 32 for the first time, it was not until the next day and I had told the world we realised the mistake.