How much waterskiing is good for me/you?

Hello everyone,

I’m 44yo, 5’8’’ (174cm), 150lb (68kg). Just started waterskiing 4 years ago at the age of 40. My first year, getting up on one ski was a challenge, but I progressed, as follows:

2011 skied 25 times - completed the slalom course

2012 skied 100 times - completed the course @34mph (55km)

2013 skied 160 times - made 28 off (14m)

2014 skied 140 times - PB 3,5@32 (13m) & 4@28 in competition

(I never ski more than one set/day)

My waterski progress incentivized me to eat healthier, sleep longer, and exercise daily. I had two minor injuries in 2014 (whiplash and sprained ankle) which set me back a bit, but I want to continue my progress.

On the off season, I workout everyday for 60-80 minutes (a mix of bicycling, circuit training, HIIT, alpine skiing, walking).

Weather allowing, I waterski once a week. During season (May-Oct) I waterski 4 times per week.

What is the ideal training frequency for waterskiing, for both on and off season for someone like me?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have the opportunity to ski frequently. All I would say is listen to your body. If you are continually tired and sore and not making progress, take a few days off. Your body will let you know how much is too much.

• Baller_
I don't keep track, but I'd guess I ski 150+/- sets per year. I am 58, usually ski one set a day, and ski daily May through mid October, with days off pretty much only for wind and rain, plus Florida in winter/spring.

Lpskier

• Baller
I'm 61 and "quick math" probably 100 sets/year..April - October. Never mind what my body "tells" me...as my friend @Lpskier will tell you, my performances clearly show it's not enough...interestingly, I also started to ski at age 40. Don't remember where i was at 44 but I'm sure not quite where you are...Congrats!

• Baller

I take 6-8 sets a week in season, usually on 3 days so 2-3 sets/day. I would like to spread it out more but it's a long drive to the lake. Less than 6 I feel it's hard to maintain the fitness level. Much more and my body starts to feel pretty beat, especially if I am going up the rope.

I hardly cross train in season but think I should. I will try to step that up this summer.

Listen to your body and train smart. If I am tired I stay at longer lines and work on basic things.