What tools/tool kit do you keep in your boat

gt2003

I know not a lot of big repairs can be done on the water. With that in mind, what kind of tools do you keep in the boat? Pliers, needle nose pliers, prop wrench, screwdrivers, fuses, zip ties???? Trying to put something together for the season but not sure what all to include.

• Baller_
zipties.#2 Philips,all sixteenths wrench,.357 Mag, a large combat extraction knife, plenty of rope,pliers, course clips and bungee and a cooler with water. Coast guard and Fish and wildlife required equipment and a radio or cell phone.

• Baller
Prop puller kit (puller, adjustable wrench, needlenose, extra cotter, extra nut) and a spare prop. Mask and snorkel in case I have to change it in the water. Small LED flashlight, and a small craftsman kit with sockets, driver bits. Quart of oil and a spare impeller. 2 inflatable paddleboards and paddles in the back compartments - for fun but I guess the paddles could come in handy.

• Baller
@gt2003 with your I/O, always make sure you have a ratchet strap and straight blade screwdriver in the boat or truck so that if the trim pump or solenoid fails you can unscrew the bypass and strap the drive up so you can get the boat out of the water.

• Baller_
Duct tape (to repair cooling hoses or other temporary repairs). Socket wrenches, screwdrivers, crescent wrench. Extra impeller, needle nose pliers. Various plugs to allow the disconnection and removal of heater/shower hoses from the engine block. Swim mask and snorkel. Old pair of ski gloves for working.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I am with @oldjeep I don't carry much usually just a screwdriver and some stuff to change buoys on the course. If I get stuck we wave someone down or call someone. I do carry a paddle and if I had to I could paddle in but it would take a while (probably an hour or so) if I get stuck out by our course.

I probably should throw my spare impeller in the boat.

• Baller
Rather than a separate kit for the boat, I have a small (12") canvas tool bag that can go from car to boat (and plane when I had one). Has pliers, wire cutters, full set of sockets, open end wrenches, crescent wrench, wire terminals and crimper, ratchet screwdriver with multiple tips and a few miscellaneous items. Cable ties are handy and some stainless steel safety wire can be a great help.....cell phone and friends or towing insurance when all else fails.

I'm going to keep it pretty basic. There is usually plenty of boat traffic around so that would be the best option. I found a really nice tool kit at Lowes for not much $. It's something I could keep in the boat and not have to worry about it.

• Baller

I keep a very basic bag of tools in the boat. Mostly for slalom course repairs. Screw drivers, zip ties, some rope, pliers, and various tapes. I do keep a spare impeller in the boat as well.

I do this because I always trailer to the lake (more like pond) so I keep a more complete set of tools in the truck. The truck and trailer are always a 5 min swim from the boat in the worst case. Every time I hook up a trailer I throw my tub full of tools in the bed of the truck. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared.

• Baller

Multi-tool kit that was a freebie at an appreciation event at work, zip strips, scissors and in most situations goggles and knife though at the swamp goggles underwater will not improve ones visibility of rope around prop! Spare impeller, perhaps spare throttle cable if so equipped.

Band aids, sun screen, extra sun glasses. Spare buoys. A no longer used worn ski rope for general purpose use.

• Baller_
Multi tool, screw diver with changeable bits, knife, duct tape, zip ties, spare parts for slalom course, couple spare buoys, bike pump, hex key set, wing angle gage, calipers, and bungy cord. Most of what I carry is to fix the course if needed, and to check for loose screws on my ski. Our closest course is a couple minutes from my dock, and our further courses are about a ten minute boat ride from the Marina or boat launch. If we aren't prepared to fix the course or our skis, we might not ski that day.

Lpskier