Carbon Pro 2011 thru 2015 model Year differiences

oldmanskier

• Administrators

@oldmanskier

Most of the changes have been small improvements. As you would expect the boat is more refined every year.

At some point they moved the prop shaft slightly off center to improve tracking or something like that.

@oldmanskier I have also heard that they went from dual exhaust to single and changed the shape of the rudder, which made a big deal. I think the thread I read that on was on this forum. I believe the carbon pro is the future for a lot of us skiers. We need a boat that offers great performance with no gimics at a reasonable price, something that mc and cc does not offer. I would rather own a mc or cc but it is hard to justify forking out the money for one when the carbon pro does everything I need for less. Sorry but I don't need underwater lighting, a heater, or hundreds of paint options. I need a good wake and reliability.

• Supporting Member

Personally, I think the first generation (2011 & 2012) were pretty darned ugly -- to the point that I'd worry about resale value. The newer ones have a more typical set of styling options and look great in my opinion.

I can't recall anyone ever saying anything bad about skiing behind one from any model year.

• Baller

Here's a good example of a nice "refinement". The attached current transom picture (above the word "Championship") shows a chrome handle and plate that is nicely covered with Seadek.

I occasionally ski behind one of the very early CPs (great pull and great wake). It does not have this handle (very helpful to pull yourself up onto the platform). Also, the chrome plate is not covered in Seadek. If not careful and you step on it with wet feet, you can easily end up in the water... or the ER.

1mxgwzmxo99f.jpg

• Baller

@DW Not sure...I don't own a CP, but surely one of the CP guys can answer. This photo is from the Centurion website.

I just noticed that vent on the engine box that you mention. Perhaps it is another "refinement"... as it is not present on my buddy's 2011.

• Baller

How is the 34 mph 22 off wake on the CP compare to MC, CC and Mboo boats?

My old ankle injuries needs to know this.

I currently start at 28 off on our club boat due to 22 off wake is very hard.

I would love to be able to start at 22 off if possible.

How does the 2011CP track compared to the other CP model years?

The 2011 I am looking at online looks in really good shape but have no idea how one tracks.

As for resale I am not buying the boat to resell. If it is a good boat I will keep it until my oldmanskier body can no longer ski. Being CP's have PCM engines in them it should last a long time.

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful.

• Baller
I honestly think that the wake is smaller on the CP than any other boat. Someone who owns a 200 told me they thought the same thing. Never driven a skier on one so idk about tracking. Overall I think it is the best value and all around ski tractor around. Like you said, you dont need all the bells and whistles. Thats just more stuff to break.

• Baller
Perfect for you if a nice looking, great performing ski tractor is what you want. That's why it works so well for us...changes are really minimal change in steering thinking 2012ish, but color options now make a nice looking option. Driven a lot of them and more drive great than not. My only bells and whistles are heater and heated seats worth every penny if your the driver and it's cold. Suits anyone looking for no frills and no need for open bow, just straight up slalom boat...although mine is a pretty sharp looker! Yes, I am bias about that....:)

• Baller
@killer, true about variations in boats. Isn't that a shame with current mfg technology? Poor quality control to have difference from boat to boat. @scotchipman, the 2014 CP that I drove last year had a bad sounding clunk when engaging trans. The owner said it was due shift by solenoid. Whatever it was, it's horrible to listen to. Gives you feeling that eventually something's gonna break.

• Administrators
The transmission clunk has been corrected. It was not poor workmanship. It was just the hardware choice for a while. It did not hurt anything it just sounded bad.

• Administrators
@Kelvin at some point they switched to an electronic controlled transmission (or something like that). My 2015 does not make the clunk noise.

My 2012 (really a 2011 with 2012 name I think based on engine cover?) Does not make a very loud noise either unless you change forward to reverse at over 1000 RPM, but don't they all?

Also its only preliminary since I havent skiied it yet, but holy @#$% are the wakes ever TINY if you change to a 12.5x15 2207 prop!!!!!! like half the already tiny size they were even at slow speeds.

@ob there is a new rudder sometime after 2012, not sure when, it made a world of difference when I retrofitted it to my boat. I think anyone with bad tracking on a CP would be well served to replace the steering cable and rudder and then grind the rudder correctly, drives better then most mastercrafts now IMO. They also moved the rudder from offset to center, but I am not sure what if any effect that had.

• Baller

I believe the offset shaft went away with the 2012 boats, but not sure.

I've had a 2013,14 and 15 Carbon Pro over the last few years in South Florida on the promo program. Every year the boat has been better, especially in regards to driving. You can ask the other Senior Drivers at Okeeheelee and I'm confident they will say the same.

My current boat is a 6L and is very responsive to driver input....most people tend to over steer it on the first few passes but settle in realizing you don't need to turn the wheel much to counter the skier. The boat is very well set-up and came from the factory this way...didn't have to work the rudder.

As far as skiing goes, my boat typically gets assigned to the longer line and slower speed skiers in tournaments because of the wake characteristics. It's very good at all line lengths, but it does differentiate itself the farther you go back and the slower it goes.

Oddly enough, when I skied my 2015 boat for the first time, I noticed that the wakes were slightly softer than previous years. My ski partner who skis at 28-34 mph at 22 off noticed the same thing as well as a few other skiers. Granted, it's a 6L, where as I've always had 5.7L boats, but the weight difference is negligible. Both engines are propped the same. I talked to Paul Crawford about it and he said they moved the motor slightly and that accounted for the softer wakes. I told him over the past few years, everyone tells me the wakes are the best around...why would you risk changing them, and he said, 'We knew we could make them better'. And that says a lot about their commitment to the boat.

There's more refinements to come with the Carbon Pro and it's clear that Centurion is out to make the best boat possible. Highly recommend you find a promo boat as they are likely tuned better than most: http://www.centurionboats.com/promo-driver-directory.html.

And if you're ever in South Florida...

• Administrators

• Baller
Horton the boat you show at skiitagain is one of the first CP's I liked. I love the color graphics. The issue is I am in Chattanooga Tenn. and the Boat is in Utah. A bit far for me to drive to test drive a boat. If it were closer I would take a look at it. Thanks for taking time to put it in this post for me to look at.

• Baller

santangelo

I will be in South Florida the end of June to watch the Big Dawg at Okeeheelee and spending a few days after Big Dawg skiing at Chet's place.

Not for sure where you are located in South Florida, but if you are not too far from Okeeheelee I would love to look at your boat and possibly drive if I have not purchased a boat yet. Thanks.

I've got a question for all of the CP owners. How do you deal with no rear bench? I am in no market to buy a new boat, but looking at my current situation, sometimes I have to travel a half hour to a good ski spot and I usually ski with 3 to 4 friends. It just seems really inconvenient to not have a rear seat, especially if you want to use the boat for something other than skiing. I love the boat and I get that it is no PS214, but I really wish they had a rear seat option.

• Baller_
I've driven a 2012 CP all winter. You have to drive it maybe a bit more than some other boats, but I've enjoyed it. Its predicable and goes where you ask it to go. It has plenty of pick up and works fine with a shortish set up.I've had nothing but positive feedback from behind the boat. I've noticed no transmission clunk. The boat has an integrated ballast bag that you fill if you have no spotter, eliminating (or at least reducing) the need for weights. I'm not sure whether or not that was an option or standard issue when the boat was new, but it makes a big difference in how the boat performs. I'm a Nautique guy, but for the price the CP is a truly outstanding boat.

Lpskier

• Baller

@oldmanskier, I live 1 mile from Okeeheelee and will be there all weekend.

As you may know, we are running 2 other slalom tournaments at the same time as the Big Dawg. One 2R record Saturday and another 2R record on Sunday. Because the BD is sponsored by CC, there will be no other manufacturers boats on site all weekend.

I'll be at the lake Friday before with the boat if you'd like to ski/drive it then. Anytime after the weekend is fine as well and you're welcome to ski/drive it as much as your oldmanskier body can handle :)

Chet is familiar with the boat as well and you can ask him about it.

Let's keep in touch.

Thanks,

Paul

• Baller

@santangelo - said "I've had a 2013,14 and 15 Carbon Pro over the last few years in South Florida on the promo program. Every year the boat has been better, especially in regards to driving. You can ask the other Senior Drivers at Okeeheelee and I'm confident they will say the same."

I will attest to this statement. I thought his last boat drove very well, but his new boat is a step up and simply requires less input on the wheel compared to the last boat. When both the skiers and the drivers like the boat, you know you're tweaking your product in the right direction.

• Baller

Engine vent on the engine box is on mine, it is a 2014 with 6.0L it may be for added air flow for the engine but I think it's on all CPs starting in 2014. If you get a 2013-14 I think you would not be unhappy with the quality or drivability, just like any other boat or vehicle the first couple years were not perfect (but still darn good) and the tweaks have mostly been covered above.

• Baller

santangelo: I would like to see and possibly drive your boat when I am in South Florida in June.

My e-mail address is tomjsmothers@aol.com

Could you send me your e-mail so I could contact you in June about seeing your boat?

Is your boat going to be available for sale this year?

Thanks.

@6balls I'm never going back to a 5.7. 6L has a real sports car feel and does feel better to ski than the 5.7L from my perspective.

As mentioned above, 6L users regular unleaded and appears to be using the same amount of fuel per set as the 5.7L.

• Baller

Agree with @RAWSki . According to PCM's website:

Pleasurecraft fuel injected engines are calibrated to operate on 87 octane fuel and maximum performance is obtained when using this fuel. The ignition timing set by the factory requires the use of a high-quality lead free regular gasoline with an octane specification of (R+M/2).

http://www.pcmengines.com/faqs/#ans-1

Then again, I don't own one of these. And an actual owner would be far more qualified to comment on performance.

• Baller

Agree with @RAWSki . According to PCM's website:

Pleasurecraft fuel injected engines are calibrated to operate on 87 octane fuel and maximum performance is obtained when using this fuel. The ignition timing set by the factory requires the use of a high-quality lead free regular gasoline with an octane specification of (R+M/2).

http://www.pcmengines.com/faqs/#ans-1

Then again, I don't own one of these. And an actual owner would be far more qualified to comment on real-world performance.