First tournament, lots of questions?

LZywicki1

• Baller
Tried doing this last year, but had an injury 4 days before and had to cancel and take the rest of the year off. Any advice on what to bring and expect would be appreciated. Tournament is June 20th at Hidden Lake in MI.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

Your ski gear + handle are the obvious but pack a lunch, cooler full of drinks, lawn chair, and sunscreen if it's going to be a warm day.

Find out the running order on the starting dock or sign in area and make sure you're ready to go when it's your turn.

Tell the driver speed, ZO setting, then get in the water and rip it up! :)

• Baller_

Here is my advice:

1. Fill out your entry form in advance. Use the time you save at registration to stretch and loosen up. Be sure to get your heart rate up a little to wake you up and energize you.

2. Know the running order. It will be posted. Keep track of who precedes you by at least two skiers. Get your stuff to the dock when they are there. Ask questions if you're not sure how the protocol goes. They can be done on their first pass and you need to be ready to ski,

3. Relax and ski your own round. Don't be tentative. Attack the course like you would on your best practice day.

4. I think it will be 3 rounds. So, remember that you have more opportunities to improve your score.

5. They usually have a lunch, but having a snack and water is good.

6. If you can, change into dry trunks for each round or at least change into dry clothes between rounds. Cold will make you ski stiff. Stay warm and loose.

7. Bring a chair, sunscreen, and a hat or other items to keep you from getting too much sun.

8. Enjoy watching the other skiers and talking with them.

9. Hidden Lake is very well-protected (hence the name), so wind is not usually an issue. But, always note the conditions before your turn and adjust.

10. Stay positive and make it fun (this probably should be #1).

Check to see if they are allowing novice rules. If it is your first tournament ever, that will allow you to ski a minimum of 4 passes each round until you complete a pass at the maximum speed for your age group. Otherwise you ski until you miss a pass or fall. You can start at any speed or rope length. But, you must increase speed on each successive pass you make until you reach the max and then you must shorten the rope after you complete a max speed pass.

Also, they may be running it as an Ability Series stop. You should get in on that. You need to be a member of Michigan Water Ski Association, so join that (it's only $7.00).

Good luck and welcome to tournament skiing,

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

During the time you are waiting between rounds, locate the judges towers and ask if you can sit along side. Ask when the judge needs to you be quiet and when you can ask questions.

I.E. Watch and listen, but do not ask questions when the boat is approaching with a skier or when the judges are finalizing their comments for the completed pass. Maybe ask questions during down times between skiers.

Some judges enjoy teaching a new person about how it all works. If you find one of those persons to sit with, you will really have a good time. Plus the view of the action is likely one of the best.

You will be more engaged and will likely see some unique situations which you never expected. It is good to learn what the skier's options are in those situations. It may help you in a future ski ride at a tournament.

• Baller

You don't have to be a judge to help change handles/lines at the starting dock. Watch how it's done and take over. You will meet boat judges, boat drivers, and a bunch of skiers.

Next thing you know it's your turn a bunch of people you didn't know before arriving are cheering for you.

• Baller
@onamission - I'm a tournament newbie too. There are lots of great ideas here. Having fun is the most important thing, and I especially like what @6balls said about helping out. Putting on a tournament requires a lot of work, and your hosts will appreciate someone pitching in. Make sure you're ready when it's your turn -- it's not like at practice where every skier is out there 6 or more passes. It's nice to have some quiet time and not be rushed before your turn. Good luck!

• Baller
Last year was my first year of AWSA, and my advice to you is simple. Don't worry/sweat the skiing. You are only competing against yourself. Everyone wants you to ski your best. Everyone started at the same place at some point in their career. Assume the best intentions from everyone around you. Remember your doing it cause it is fun and in reality, it doesn't matter how you ski. @richarddoane says "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug." I need to remember these points more often. I know me and my family will have a better time if I keep it in perspective and I will likely ski better anyways!

• Baller_
Your hardest pass to complete should be your 3rd pass and the pass you don't usually (or ever) run should be your 4th pass. That would have you starting at 28 mph. If you can run that, then start there. If it is too slow, go to the speed you usually run. Running a full pass off the dock is the plan. As a novice, you do have leeway and will get 4 passes minimum. So, you can change your approach knowing that.

• Baller
Be in the water and ready when the boat is coming back to the dock to pull you. When you get to the other end wait on the sit down timer for the second set of beeps or for the boat judge to ask if your ready. As a driver I hear so many skiers say they are ready before the beep, if you say go the boat will go. Remember the sit down timer is set for a pre determined amount of time for a reason, usually back wash. The average time is 50 seconds.

• Baller
@MattP. That's a good question. Last year at this time a would start at 34 @ 22 off, and get around 3-4-5 @ 28. This year I started at 32 @ 15 off the first time we went south. The second time we worked at 34 @ 15 off. Made a few passes, but it was a week of learning. At home we we just got our course up. Started at 34 @ 15 off, been out 3 times, first time was behind a new TXI that the OZ was surging all over the place, second time had wallets half way through my second pass, last time ran up to 5 ball once. Hopefully I can more good practice sets in the middle of next month.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
What @MISkier said. A guy once told another of my friends, "start at a pass that if your shorts slide down to your ankles you can still run it." Seriously I'm sure you have a pass that you normally start each day in practice with. If you don't, you should. Consistency in what you do breeds comfort. Consistency and comfort allows you to concentrate on a particular thing to work on each day. Never just ski. Always have something that you're putting emphasis on. Go to a tournament knowing that your normal start is your normal start.

• Baller

Looks like I need to change up practice and start at 30 or 32 and then move up. Haven't skied at 30 in forever, should be interesting along with trying to teach a couple of people how to change speed on the fly.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Well just my luck my PerfectPass system went down. Display froze and buttons would not work, turned power on and off, nothing but the back light on the display. Looks like it's time to upgrade to the z-box.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Do anything possible to relax and not ski nervous. That is MUCH easier said than done. I've been skiing tournaments for 7 years and still can't figure that part out but if I had that figured out it would make my tournament scores much much better. Have fun, get to know people that you don't already know, enjoy watching all the great skiers! When the skiers capable of getting into 39 are on the water you better be watching!!

• Supporting Member

In my opinion, if you're not nervous at all, then it's time to hang it up because you don't care.

Some can manage nerves better than others, and that's part of the appeal: measuring yourself under those pressures (which come entirely from yourself, btw). Personally, I am much more random in a tournament: I may be able to get a lifetime best or I may make a dumb-ass mistake on one of my first two passes that I would almost never make in practice.

Definitely talk with everybody. The best part of a tournament is spending an entire day with people who actually WANT to talk about waterskiing!

• Baller
@Than_Bogan - yep. Nervous = caring. When someone says they are really nervous about an upcoming event, I tell them that it means they care about the outcome. It puts a positive perspective on nerves.

• Baller

@ToddL Unfortunately all the people a ski with are over 40, problem is most are still confused about timing systems along with the chance to metric. Speedo on boat is gps and the course doesn't look like its going up this week.

@Than_Bogan Haven't skied a tournament yet, but have completed in other sports and would say that I have never been nervous to go out and preform. Skiing at Jack's last month with all the great skiers there watching and/or in the boat didn't bother me at all. Hope the tournament the same way.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

A big thanks to @RAWSki and all the people at Hidden Lake, had a great time skiing behind the Carbon Pro along with meeting some new friends.

Also heard that Seth was in area doing a clinic. Is there someplace that you can find out about clinics in your area? Seems like things like this can be secretive here.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
@LZywicki1 Has inspired me to enter my first tournament in 29 years. That makes me sound really old. It also allows me to ski as a novice, which will take some pressure off. See ya there.

• Baller_
ill never forget when i actually skied it was a long time ago, but my advice for what it is worth, is remember that you are there to have fun, its not how you make a living talk to other skiers, 90% of skiers are awesome and willing to just chat. I have met some of my best friends just at events around the us and world. biggest thing is if you use soap bring it don't expect it to be there for you, a lot of places will have it, and it may be required but i never count on it. the biggest thing is don't be afraid to ask questions, we are a small community in relation to other small sports. but have fun!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
@LZywicki1 here is another starting idea. Early in the season I start at 32 mph and 22 off. I run 34/28 pretty much all the time but I like having a fairly easy warm up pass. Later in the season I drop the 32 and I run mid 35 in tournaments when I have been skiing. Last year was lost because of injuries but the year before that I was probably 60% running 32 off in tournaments. As was said above you want your 4th pass to be one that you don't run all the time. I am a big guy and can still ski at 32 mph with no problem.

• Baller

Well yesterday was picture perfect day for my first tournament. The people at Hidden Lake couldn't of been nicer. You could tell that it wasn't their first rodeo. The collegiate skiers there ran the starting dock like clockwork. The drivers and boat judges were very helpful and encouraging and helpful.

My first set a ran an ugly 15@30 to start with then moved to 32 and got around 4 ball a couple of times. Second set started off running 15@32 and ending getting around 5 ball at 15@34 on my last pass. Not sure if it is a good thing or not a did not fall on any of my passes, though I came close a couple of times. Think I'm hooked.

I would also like to thank all of the Ballers for your help and encouragement. Last year at this time I wasn't sure if or when I would be able to ski again, let alone be able to ski in a tournament. A big thank you to my friends in Texas, @gregy @ToddL @Moskier3ev , hope to get down there in the fall for the F1 race and few sets. @RAWSki a big thanks for pulls behind that new Carbon Pro along with @TWB for the pulls at your site. @MISkier your check list was greatly helpful and thorough.

Again a big THANK YOU to all of you and this site, ( @Horton Good wishes for a speedy recovery).

v3l4g0wzqv77.jpg

Larry -----<|

• Baller_
Awesome. Way to make those first passes off the dock. That is key, Hope to see you at other tournaments. I believe you will still be considered a novice until you run that 15/34 or run any pass at 34 mph. That should allow you the 4 minimum passes at tournaments until then.

• Baller

@LZywicki1 I enjoyed hanging out with you and your wife. Having a conversation with her is very easy. She fits right in.

Can anyone out there tell me if I was incorrectly placed in Mens 3. I turned 45 on April 10. I thought I would be M4 and that's what I signed up as, but AWSA has me as M3 and so do the tournament results. Not that it really matters. I actually did better in the M3 category anyways. There were only two of us. The M4 or M5 categories were loaded with great skiers.

• Baller_
I believe, since you turned 45 after January 1, but before Nationals, you stay in M3 until after Nationals. A few years ago, I turned 45 after Nationals but before the end of the year. I did a tournament in September that year and was classified in M4 at the age of 44. So, the rules are a little strange depending on the relationship of your birthday to Nationals and to the end of the year.

• Baller
Really Nice skiing Larry you looked better with every pass. Sorry you couldn't stay for the last set behind the CP and my wipe-out trying to get out around 6 ball! Looking forward to watching some great skiing during the record tournament at Hidden Lake in July.

• Baller

Robert, hope it was coming towards the dock so you wouldn't have that long walk back. Both Tom and you skied very well. I'm just glad a different fall going through the gates like the week before.

Not sure if we can make it for the July tournament, but I'm entered in the one Sept., (pre birthday gift). Next one for me is at Wixom in July.

Larry -----<|