HO V-Type - Would sure love to hear about it!

Garn

• Baller

I'm quite surprised that with HO's new V-Type, I hear very little about it. I'm really interested in this ski but I would sure like to hear more about it. Horton, how soon will you be reviewing it? I'm on an S2 now so I would really like to hear how it skis and how its different than the S2.

Garn

• Baller

Apologies to Horton, I am sure his review will be more on point , but Cale Burdick has done a review you will find it on the web , for what it is worth I do know somebody who was on a S2 who moved to the V Type, he is now skiing on the S2.

• Baller
@chef23 I don't think the vapor was holding me back at all. I just felt like the V type is able to slow down before the buoy better than the Vapor and that has been my whole issue at 32. @MattP if you call 2 sets demoing, then yes. I knew on the 2nd pass this was a better ski for me.

• Members
@OKSkier I tried out a 2014 A3 last year for about 15 sets and multiple fin settings and liked the predictability and stability in the turns but found that it was too slow for me. I never really got the zip out of it that I needed. Also, probably related to lack of speed, it didn't cast out after the edge change like I needed. I felt like I was always struggling to get wide. I'm trying the V-type now, see my review on youtube, it feels very similar to the A3 in respect to the turns, but is faster and casts wide. Compared to the A3, I feel like it's lighter under my feet and I can get the tail wider than the tip earlier.

• Baller
What sold me on the ski was not that I was slowing down at the ball but how smooth the turn is and how much angle I got. I felt like I was running earlier passes than ever. The offside feels better than ever and I just like the ski better.

• Baller

I have a few sets on a vtype now and @CaleBurdick nailed it. It gets stupid wide compared to the A3 and turns effortlessly. I cannot say if it is a ski that I will love at this point based on onlyva handful of sets but as @Horton said in his review, "it's the best HO since the A1"

I've been riding the syndicate skis since the monza came out and have tried a bunch of other sticks including the vapor (which I really liked). it takes angle so well it may be More work behind the boat vs the vapor but it turns effortlessly for sure, is stupid fast and casts out so well compared to the previous A1-3. I can't wait to get more sets on it.

I'm running stock settings but went to 9deg on the wing.

• Baller
My first tournament in 29 years will be on a V-Type. I have 3 sets on it. Probably shouldn't have done that. I can't say that I'm as comfortable on it as my previous ski, but I'm skiing just as well.

• Baller

@dropski binding placement and fin surface area I think will make a big difference on this ski. There is more of sweet spot with the v-type than the A2, for sure.

has he played with any settings; the tip dampener? wing? binding position?

• Baller
@Horton @wtrskior I meant onside turn, we both got our skis from Greg Badal and believe they are not stock fin settings. They have sanded bevels as well. We are getting some calipers to check and move the fin to stock. We never have played with fin settings before but could try moving the bindings, they are at 29.5 now

• Baller

@wtrskior the dampening pads are the same material, we just give you both if you prefer one color over the other.

As far as the tip weight itself, I encourage you to play around with the placement fore and aft as well as without the weight. As skiers, we play in a game of subtle adjustments. This is another way to fine tune the ski to your personal liking, much the same as a fin or wing adjustment.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
I skied my first sets on a new V Type this week. The passes all felt comfortable and predictable, since I am coming off an S2 I expected that. The ski definitely achieves better angle and I will have to be ready for that, still and tall helps. I have my boots(OB4) back a little, as that also worked for me on the S2, 29.125. I generally run my fin with less depth as I like the ski to wash around a little easier in the finish, 2.470. I ended up with the length at 6.860 to loose some tip pressure on the off side. A good first try... More sets to come.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

I've just bought a V-Type, after trying out an A3.. Which I really liked! Ben told if I like the A3 I'll love the V-type...

After skiing on The Stradas for a good few years, one thing I noticed is the HOs really Favour your offside !!! Why is that so..?

• Baller
@Jim Neely after a couple of more sets, I made the fin deeper to slow down the washout on my good side turn, 2.480; the dft is at .735. Still need to work on not dropping my shoulder inside on good side turn.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@mmosley899 here's another set of 67" fin numbers to keep in your back pocket. They have been working really well for me:

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@gmut The easy answer is yes. I actually use an EZ fin tool and measure to the very back of the ski but I initially determine the difference between the two points. I found the difference on my V-Type to be 0.1 On the Vapor the difference is 0.080

• Baller
@Live2ski I sure hope so. My 67 black should be delivered tomorrow. It's the first time that I'm really excited about a ski since I bought my Phantom back in '01. I was pretty excited to try the '15 Superlites TX and CX, but was not comfortable with the feel of the clean edge tail. A few skis have peaked my interest over the years but none enough to really want one.