Interesting potential controversy at Masters

Horton

• Administrators

The top four after the prelims is Smith, F Winter, Odvarko, & TGas. They go to the finals.

Parrish and Travers are tied at .5 at 39 for 5th and 6th.

TGas is hurt and may not ski in the finals. So should TGas be a lock for 4th?

There is a rumor that if TGas does not ski both Parrish and Travers will (maybe) be advanced to the final.

Is this fair to the other skiers? There is money and a title in play. As I fan I want to see them all ski but if I was Nate, Fred or Daniel I would very much not want to see them advance.

I know that there is some level of protest. (I am not sure if it is an official protest or not.)

• Baller

I remember something similar in the past, where one of the 4 finalists was DQ'd for some reason.

He got 4th place, and they didn't move anyone up. I expect that there are written rules that

cover something like this by now. Back On The Tour, there was a Rule where I think they

would move someone up. Not sure if it ever was needed, but there were times when the rule

was almost needed, particularly when a skier who had made the Finals maybe got hurt in

a SL crash, or later with a jumping crash. Because the Tour ran head-to-head slalom in the

final round, they had to have a replacement.

• Baller

Kinda sucks for us, to not have a true "4 contenders final" to watch, and that a lower placing skier can't advance into the slot, but, he did out ski them. He earned it. If he can ski gates and a ball, like @Wish said, it was his spot to be had. Outside of that, it's a 3 man show.

Personally, seeing Nate & Freddy into 41 on Robin lake was crazy awesome. I'm ready for tomorrow!

• Baller

Whether he can get out of the water or not, TG earned at least 4th place money and position.

I don't see how they can bump someone else into his spot and at least not pay him what he earned yesterday.

• Baller
Don't you think that there are rules/guidelines established to cover such a situation? If so, all competitors should be aware of said guidelines. From our perspective they may be fair or not, but surely they exist. A lot of speculation but someone's knows, they just haven't made it public yet. I guess, unless TGas has made it official that he can't go, it's still a moot point.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy You have to remember that its not just about collecting a check for these guys they are elite athletes that thrive off the competition. I would rather see Tgas not ski than have to go out and get 1 buoy because in that mind set skiing 1 buoy to collect a check is worse then getting through the pain to ski all 6 and be a contender. There is also the thought that he needs to save his back and recover for the rest of the season. It is a Worlds year as well. We shall see.

• Baller

@MattP you make a good point, They are competitors, a Title is worth more than the cheque in a lot cases and from a sponsors point of view, if they cannot compete to the best of their ability due to injury, they may prefer them to step back.

I hope he can get it sorted, always a contender and great to watch.

• Baller
@Edbrazil that was Drew Ross. Supposedly he missed the parade of champions and was DQ'd. The announcers never mentioned his name. Like he never made the finals. Back then they had a semi final format. CP had to ski solo. It was very weird.