stop taping your hands

Jdubs

I know that some people are going to think this sounds hair-brained crazy, but trust me and try this. If you are consistent with this method I am going to tell you about, chances are you will never need to tape your blistered hands again.

Keep your razor in the shower and when your are about done showering and your skin is soft or pruney, run the razor over the callused spots. Yes - Shave off the thick skin that normally tears on your hands. Typically its the calluses from skiing or working out that will thicken up and cause skier blistered up or torn hands, especially when the water warms up.

Yes, you read it right... Shave off your calluses consistently and you will not likely need tape, neoprene power-pulls, or glove underwear any longer.

However, if you forget and do tear your hands open, use superglue if there is a flap of skin to glue back to your hands. It's basically the same ingredients that dentists use to substitute for bandaging and superglue stings far less than liquid bandage.

Good luck.

• Baller

What about the people who develop blisters before the end of the day? I've tried shaving, sanding, filing, taping, new-skin bandage, palm protectors, kevlar liners, regular gloves, kevlar/leather gloves, round handles, elliptical handles, and V shaped handles. Some combinations works better than others but 3 sets is out of the question without taping. When it's really warm, 2 long sets is just about out of the question without taping.

I've spent well over $1000 in handles and gloves and I'm still looking for something that will help. Most of my trials just move the blisters from one place to another. I usually do the first set with gloves and palm protectors. If I'm feeling like a 3rd set that day or I'm already starting to see signs of blisters, tape or glue is the only real option.

• Baller
Master Curves with neoprene hand savers underneath....but the magic formula (for me) is to use as small of a handle diameter as you can....forces you to hold the handle out in your fingers more and not bunched up in your palm....for me that's how I always broke free the calluses

• Baller

My gloves are extremely tight. I have to let them soak for a minute or two before I can even think about getting them on. I'm actually tearing up the outside of the fingers from getting them off. I'm using medium Radar BOA's. Have tried using small's and I can get them on but it requires excessive strength to grip the handle with them that small and my grip strength goes out prematurely.

Last year I struggled with calluses on my palms and the palm protectors helped a lot. This year using the same handle and gloves, I'm getting blisters on the bottom of my fingers. I've always been a bit of a finger gripper but I may have to learn to grip the handle deeper to prevent problems this year.

• Baller

Very tight gloves, no carbon palms though! I also use sand paper if needed and sometimes my Dremel with sand paper bit at slow revs.

I haven't done any sanding this season yet, I ski 5sets a week and need 2 pair of gloves per year. I think it's very important to have a tight fit and change the gloves when needed even if visually they look ok!

• Baller
No blades! Use a pumice stone or sandpaper (or a low speed Dremel- I know a dentist who uses dental buffers- went in for a cleaning once and there he was grinding away on his hands), but blades leave edges that can make things worse. Sand 'em down every day to keep from tearing. Plus, MS is right- the northern water doesn't soften callouses nearly as much- maybe just because the water is so much colder we get out and dry off quicker.