A friend is giving me an '86 MasterCraft...Should I ?

popof

Hey Guys,

Just reaching out for some advice from the pros !

A friend of mine just sold his house by the countryside, it had an access to a river with an 86' MasterCraft which gave us many good runs a couple years ago but hasn't really been used for the past 4 years approx.

I have a place i can actually park it, and can figure a use to it, it wouldn't become my slalom boat as we ski in clubs here, but could be a boat to share with friends. I'll look into details of insurance, cost for parking year-round etc etc, but just out of curiosity, is that boat a keeper? Something one should stay away from? i'm not really looking into buying a boat, but this friend is actually either gonna give it to me or just give it away to whoever shows up first!

the idea would be to invest a couple '000€ to get it up and running (, make sure the engine is OK, fix whatever is needed, new upholstery and stuff like that, it already has a tower) and use it as a recreational boat to wakeboard / tube / trick / freeski if it reaches 36mph...

Any inputs greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Romain

ps: not even sure it's 1986, but somewhere in that area...

• Baller

No wood stringers in 86 MC so if the engine is running or need minor work can't go wrong with free.

Just don't put to much money into it.If it need and engine or the fins,shaft and rudder is rip apart,just say no thanks.

Good luck!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
86 was a unique and killer slalom wake year (relatively speaking for the period, let's be serious). The old "Rainbow Brite" stripe pattern is a bit polarizing but that year in particular they had a big dish in the hull above the prop with tons of lift. I don't like the ergonomics, layout, or driving characteristics of the 80's MCs but for a recreational boat it should be just fine.

• Baller
We still have an '86, just for a fun/cruising boat. It's rock solid and a blast to drive. Like the man said, there's no wood in it, so it'll last a lifetime. We pulled the carpet, and underneath was clean, white gel coat, so we've put off the new carpet install. It's much easier to keep clean now, but a little (very) slippery when wet!

• Baller

@swc5150

On the MC forum someone just replaced his carpet with anti-fatigue mat from Sears that come in a roll of 8'x36'' (about).Looks like it had some grip texture too...

He kept the carpet in the gunnels and bow.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Supporting Member

As long as you remember that you "may" get out of it what you put in to it, up to roughly a $5,000 ceiling w/it running/newer interior and trailer.

If you spend less than $2,500.....that IS the boat you lend to friends without reservation (driving/docking/drink spills etc). We have a 89' that runs like a cat. 2 carb rebuilds, a couple of batteries & tune up kits along the way. Still on the original steering cable. Very dependable, low/little maintenance for a DIY guy. I ski behind a different/newer boat 90% of the time. But the MC 190 is still great for the times on lake/river with non-ski and ski friends alike. If it get you out on the water a few more times, isn't that worth it?

• Baller

If your focus is on class L scores, forget the boat and fork out the megabucks for a new boat.

If you are filthy rich, forget it. Fork out the megabucks for a new boat.

If your focus is getting your kids into Open, this might work to preserve your fortune until you need to fork out the megabucks for a new boat.

If you just want to ski, enjoy the ride! Over half of the 35off passes I've made were behind my 79 American Skier - an older boat. I've made a few behind that vintage MC. Yeah, I've made a couple behind the modern ZO megabucks boats. But the old boats can get you there too.

For pure fun and great performances, that boat rocks!

Eric

Hmm, ZO in my 79 American Skier? A worthy project?

• Baller
@gregy I think the 86 had the same hull as the 85 version but had a different deck. Then in 87 they changed both the hull and the deck. I'm not a fan of the 87-90 version of the 190 but I think the 86 has a nice, classic look (though not as much as the 85). I think it is a keeper if in decent running condition.

• Baller

I'd take it if you think it needs less than $3K in work. Our college ski team was gifted a '82 stars and stripes in 1992 with 2000 hours that looked like junk. Carb rebuild, manifold gaskets, starter, plugs and we were off skiing. It was one of the club boats for a good 15 years.

No fancy electronics to go bad...basic carb engine...should be fine.

@6balls exactly my idea! ;)

All, thank you for all of your inputs, again, this friend is seling the house and living in an appartment downtown, has absolutely no place to ski, and married and got kids, not into skiing anymore (not judging ;) just analysing!)

So I guess I'll take it and have it "audited" by my club's mechanic. if it has wood in it, (m&aybe it's older than 86? don't know), or if it needs >5k, will in turn give it away or just dump it, if not, will try to keep it for recreational, spare boat.

I'll try to find a pic to show you guys which model it is

By the way, is there anywhere online a library of all mastercraft models with techs spechs and stuff like that? Didn't quite find anything? maybe not looking in the right place?

Many thanks again

romain

Thank you for your help guys!

Actually I'm actually even starting to doubt it's an MC?

I had it as a given but now that I think of it, the only elements I have are the attached photos, anyone recognize which boat is that?

My friend told me it was an MC 86, might as well be something else, haven't seen that boat in 4+ years, couldn't really tell?p8avy245heco.png

dtxu9gkixnev.png

d4tqdrzqrmk1.png

fp6ot4a3ko07.png

enbwl0mu5u47.png

cqy5nsdtindc.png

pduczpnjhe1x.png

• Baller
Well, I've seen a lot of boats in my day...but none like that one. Franken boat. Funny trailer, @wish never seen a pylon like that? How about the swim platform and the enclosed top down (I assume brackets)? I'm thinking I don't want to be gifted that boat...though could take it and put it out at auction for whatever you can get.

• Baller

Well, you could always turn it into a planter, which was the eventual fate of my old Crosby hull.

Sold the Merc 125's, and the hull hung around a marina gathering water and sprouting weeds.

I have seen a Frankenboat, a few years ago for sale near Alton Bay, NH: A Ski Supreme disguised

as a Mastercraft. Up for sale, with the owner probably hoping that the decals on it would bring

in more money. But, the hull # told the true story.

hahahahah well that's embarrassing!!!!

That friend thought it was an MC, I assumed he was right (again, hadn't seen the boat in a couple years), and dugg out these pics ;)

Well i'll ask him what kind of boat it is, and i'll check what it is made of etc , then i'll have it audited by my club's mechanic and decide what to do with it ;)

Will keep you posted!

• Baller

I remember the Boesch boats pulling the 1991 Worlds in Austria. Looked about like Chris Craft

inboards from the 1950's. As did their wakes. An oink-oink of a boat. They had some kind of

a contraption on the pylon for jumping. Men jump won with 189 feet.