How easy is it to replace bindings?

SailorDave17

I really appreciate all the great feedback from the members here. Looking for info on how easy it is to replace bindings , I did purchase the old ep stilleto but I would like to replace the HO bindings that are on it with newer lace up style. How hard would this be for a novice like myself?

• Baller

In all likelihood the insert pattern on the old ep won't lineup with newer bindings. You'll have to drill new inserts or go with a dual loc setup.

Buy a newer ski. For around $100 on ski it again you'll find a ski made in the last 10 years that should blow the stiletto away and be able to get mounted by most bindings

• Administrators
Modern Bindings will not fit the old holes. That ski is s very cool historical item but don't ski on it. It is a massive pile of crap by modern standards.

I guess I should have put more thought into it before letting my nostalgia rule my purchase choice. It does look as if someone has installed more modern HO bindings on the ski, also appears that they did drill new holes to mount the bindings. ... At the risk of angering the people who are giving me such good advice (I do appreciate it very much) do you think that is a sign that it would be easy to install the lace up HO bindings I found for $25 from a friend? I just don't feel like the struggle of putting on those tight bindings, and I really want to ski on the EP for old times sake...

• Baller

Swapping bindings is not a big deal. Especially if you are getting off old rubber (or worse old EVA) bindings. The rubber loses stretch over time and EVA characteristics change completely. New bindings are critical for safety and performance.

The holes might not line up, the screws might not back out - lots of little things can happen. But as @Horton says, it is not the best ski built. Don't worry about preserving it. Just cut or unscrew the old screws, drill new holes as needed, fill in the old ones and try the ski. I'm not a fan of lace up HO bindings but $25 is only making a $25 mistake (assuming the bindings are in good enough shape to not injure you - the old bindings scare me more when you say "tight").

Some good performances did happen on a Stiletto. I owned one and enjoyed it. If you are young and strong, you will learn from the ski. Enjoy it.

Start a fund for a more modern ski. Even a modest fund can finance a Monza or Sixam with a Radar Vector binding and a toe loop with a heel strap.

Eric