All new 2016 Vapor

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Chris Rossi ... I am 6'4" @ 225 lbs, at Nationals they were telling me to go with the 16 Vapor in the 69.5" since he ski turned so well.. The words were, "Take a page out of the Nate Smith playbook and ski on the biggest ski you can turn well." I am currently on a 68" Mapple and was trying to decide if I should stay at 68" with the Vapor or go with the 69". Thoughts, THX.

• Baller
I know it has a lot to do with personal preference, but it seems the majority is saying the 2016 is a completely different and much better ski than the '14 green top? So if a guy likes the green model, he'll likely prefer the 2016 much more? This is a round about way of asking if I need to spend the $$ on a new ski.

I have ridden and owned both the green "14" and the new "16", the 14 was one of my all time favourite skis, I have found the 16 to feel faster, both across course, and carrying more speed through the turn. It is so quick off the back of the ball it's ridiculous, and never have I had a ski turn so symmetrically on both sides, I am particularly impressed on the offside, where the ski doesn't get stuck, it just seems to keep moving even when I drop a shoulder and break at the waist, I ski 55kph, pb 3@13m. I am just starting my season and had around 10 sets on the 68" and it keeps getting better and better every set, there is so much forgiveness and stability it inspires you to have a go for that next buoy, even though you know you shouldn't, but then you turn it and shoot off to the next, I have really enjoyed all my ski's but this one I love, and I can't wait to see what the season has in store for me.

• Baller_
@eddie_roberts_jr has never built a ski that I could not ride going back to the Monza. Each ski built every year is always better so I say get the wallet out and loose the green ski. I have not been on the 16 yet but I know the blue Vapor was faster and turned easier then the green.

• Baller
My new Lithium is on the way, so just a couple tech questions. Being a 34mph skier and lucky to make a 32 off pass these days, should I leave the wing on? It's a habit of mine to pull wings off, for good or bad. And will the proper measurement for binding placement come with the ski, or any advice? I'm putting my Vectors (rtp) on it, if that matters. Thanks.

• Baller

@swc5150 Leave the wing on. Rossi numbers work really well, from Rossi's post earlier in the thread:

"My personal settings

Boots - 65 28.5", 66 29", 67 29.5", 68 30"

Fin - 2.465, 6.940, 0.733 9 degrees

I have also been setting 34 mph short line skiers at the numbers below with lots of personal bests posted and is where I set skis at for nationals:

Boots - same as my boot recommended location above

Alternate fin setting - 2.460, 6.960, 0.735 9 degrees"

I am a 34 skier as well. Brooks set my ski up at Nat's with the Alt settings. I am slightly longer and slightly more DFT. Works awesome. If your through 28 you definitely can use these.

• Baller
One more binding question. I was planning on transplanting my Vectors onto the new ski, but am I leaving any performance advantage on the table by not just buying a Vapor front (I use an rtp)? The Vector seems to have plenty of support, and it's really comfy, but I also want to get the performance capacity out of the ski.