All new 2016 Vapor

• Baller

This ski is the real deal, I can't believe how good it is. I tried one out this week and ran a PB on it (3.5@-32 and I was going to run the pass- just got excited at 4 since I was in such great shape) after 3 months off from skiing. I did not do anything with the fin other than give it a quick measuring to make sure it was close. Threw the front binding on at 29.5 and started skiing buoys. That's the way it should be.

I would describe the ski as stable and predictable, yet fast and effortless. Has an awesome feeling underfoot of deep and solid tracking but again very efficient with speed and lightness on the water. Turns incredibly on both sides (tip low and flat on both sides, no wheelies) and exits with surprising speed on both sides. Predictable is the most important part. It's hard to improve when you ski is giving you inconsistent tip engagement and this ski has none of that. You're never falling down with a stalled ski wondering "what happened, I thought I was ok there?" You're not learning anything when you're swimming at the buoy because of your equipment. This ski allows the skier focus on technique and not worry about the ski doing anything unpredictable or unexpected. It allows the skier to really shine.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Had year off Radar last year riding a T2 which took me to a new PB made the decision to switch back after hearing such goods things about the 16 and all I can say is wow Could not get on with the 14 five sets in on the 16 I know this ski will take me to another level Wide early and speed off the vack of the ball Watch this space

Skied my first sets of the season on my new 2016 Vapor Saturday. First set was 4 passes at 22 off felt great to be back on the water. 2nd set went 22,28,28 and decided to go 32 on my last of 4 passes. I was a bit late coming out of 1 ball but easily got back into the pass at 2 (RFF) and smoked the rest of the pass!! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER ATTEMPTING AND RUNNING 32 OFF ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON. The new ski is lagit. To @chrisrossi and everyone at Radar thanks for continuing to make awesome products!!

• Baller
@tfriess I demoed a 2014, it was the first ski I immediately felt more comfortable on and skied right up to my average first set. I got one of the first 2015s and skiing great on it. The 2016 is really tempting.

• Baller
@gregy I hate to be the bearer of expensive news, but while the 2015 Vapor was a marginal improvement over the 2014, the 2016 is a major step forward. The 2015 can hit the brakes pretty hard as the water break moves forward on the tip. The 2016 has really linear, predictable tip-engagement, which for me = more completed passes.

• Baller

I suspect as we get further into ski season this thread will continue to grow. I'll do my part to keep it going though.

I got a 67" from skidawg last week. Got two sets on it. Second set I was going from 3 to 4 at 28off and the tip grabbed went out the front. Definitely in the top 10 of my worst/best wipe outs. Sorry no video. Its going to take a week or so before I'm back on the water. 4 at 28 is my practice PB and 15 and 22off felt great. I was getting some slack at 28off and should have bailed on it.

I was on a 67" 2105 Vapor which I really liked. The transition form the 2015 to 2016 was very easy and nature. The things I noticed a comparing the 2 were:

1) easier on the body not near as tired after the set as I was before.

2) Less resistance to roll. With the 2015 when I rolled on edge I could really feel it pushing back. The 2016 Vapor had less roll resistance but it was predictable unlike the V-type R I tried - It kept dumping me in the turn.

3) Turn felt a little more automatic. Felt like on the 2015 I had to force the turn sometimes to keep from getting slack.

I wasn't able to get my rear binding back far enough to get the front at 29.5" at Rossi's setting. I'm using a R-style reflex which I'm going to drill some new holes so I can get it farther back. It felt good as is but I also felt like there was room for improvement. I blew the tail out on a very easy pass on my offside.

• Baller
Here's a bump. Skiing in 57F water here, 48 degree air. Ski still works great. Not really sensitive to cold water and that's coming right from off-season skiing in Florida and Louisiana. Though technically uncomfortable due to the air temp I'm still running buoys in the cold, viscous stuff. Last spring my skiing was a disaster in April/May- certainly not only the ski, but this ski sure isn't picky about anything.

• Baller
Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread and purchased the new ski. This has been a great start for the ski and I look forward to seeing what the summer brings! Horton...scotch? Not my thing, but if you want to sip on burnt mossy gasoline, that's your prerogative.