All new 2016 Vapor

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I am pretty sure that when this thread reaches 100K views @eddie_roberts_jr will have to send @Chris Rossi a bottle of his secret rum

(I am depending on Rossi thinking it tastes awful and forwarding it to me)

I just bought a 2016 and then this happened, not while I was skiing! I guess it will be collecting dust for a few months before I can strap it back on! I might be talked into parting with it if anyone is interested in a 66". I only got to ski on it 5 times! Seriously bummed!

tk718uq96mlf.jpg

Moral of the story....if you see a pretty girl that looks like she might need help getting her ski back up on the dock after her ride, tell her to piss off!

• Baller

Well if you guys are going to keep this going I will ask a Vapor question. Sorry if this gets long.

Should I be on a 65 or 66?

133 lbs. 5' 10" 34mph @ -15 (starting to work on -22)

I currently have a '16 Vapor 65 and love everything about how it skis and feels. But I am physically winded like I ran a sprint after a ride.

I didn't run a pass at max speed all year until I got on the '16. Then I did it the first set and got 5@-22 two times that day (@Horton please no Panda for the double Rico).

The reason I went with a 65" is because I have a 66" Blue '15 Vapor and I could not get constant on my offside. It felt to fast sometimes and I was not good at staying balanced going into the turn. I don't ski much and I gave up on the Blue ski. The onside was always great.

Thanks,

PS: before the Blue ski I was on the old Senate C 65" and love it.

• Baller
@Bill22 I'm right with you on the slender issue except I'm 6'6" and 175 lbs. I finally (recently) found a height/weight chart that actually had me within their "Normal" range and was very relieved. Anyway, it can be difficult with ski sizing because height does have some influence and so it is hard when height is a couple categories different than weight.

• Baller

@Bill22 The tough thing about slalom length is that a balanced, centered stance is desired. If a ski is too short and the skier too tall, then subtle movements in COM have not so subtle results in ski response, tip pressure changes, etc.

I've always heard that both weight and height are part of the ski size selection process. So, I would assume a skier would error on the longer of two possible sizes if the skier is tall for their weight.

I know that Fin Whispering (@SkiJay) has a section on making a long ski feel shorter (and vice versa). Maybe those techniques are applicable to your situation.

• Baller

@ToddL thanks. I get what you are saying but I can only turn the longer ski if I am at my best, any little mistake and the pass is over (on stock settings with the 66" skis I have tried).

I am really interested in the SkiJay adjustments.

• Baller
My tall fo his age and light (<100 lbs) son had no problems jumping from his 63.5 2015 Vapor to my wife's 2016 65" for a set. He ran up to his PB. I did not think she was going to get the ski back. I expected him to secretly adjust her fin in hope she concluded that the ski wouldn't work for her.

• Baller

Bill22

That's me just trying to be on the site on my phone sans cheater glasses this morning. Sorry about the mistype. I did the same thing on another thread a couple of weeks ago, again by accident.

FYI. If I disagree I just say it. I don't (intentionally) do the clicky thing.

• Baller

BTW. On recommendation of a fellow Baller I just tried to shallow up a bit. I stayed 2.460 all summer messing with all settings but depth. Left everything the same and went to 2.455. Only 2 sets, but wow it's better.

For some reason I have always resisted going shallower on any ski. Not sure why as it turns both sides better now and hasn't blown out yet.

• Baller

OK review. Razor since'11 more 38's than all other skis combined. Stole Denali 3.1 proto from my brother...riot til it broke. '67 Vapor stock fin/wing, bindings 29 7/8.

Wicked onside, couldn't carry wide on offside at shortline, lots of work, sore after skiing. Scores intermittently ok but no rope support at 38 at the buoy.

Rossi had me go bindings to 29 3/4, DFT reduced slightly. Better carry out, off side turn loopy. Rossi had me increase depth slightly and reduce length slightly. Ran 38...but sometimes fine myself horsing thru 35 and occasionally whiffing a 32 off wondering what happened on the off side. Also 35 feeling like gain ground onside-give round offside..but had run 3,3,4.5 and complete 38's so stayed there.

Skied with @Razorskier1 who noticed tip rise on finish of even my best turns. Also noticed I'm too high on the boat at shortline at the ball so the boat is not yet there for me when I turn in...I try some technical crap and some good/some bad.

Skied the last 3 days, running 35's all 3. Last 2 days no shots at 38 the 35's were scrambly. Ran first pass today and decided want some brakes at the ball and did a quick increase in wing (9 to 10 degrees) all else the same.

Expected subtle change. I stood up in the wash and the increase in drag was really noticeable. The ski was being pulled behind and under me. Expected to get folded at 1 but what the hell, right? This was 28 off and the ski just ripped. Tight line, cadence "on", small radius turns. 32 rocked. Driver is super enthused and says we gotta see how this goes at 35 and 38. Best 35 of the year laughing...earlier and earlier every ball. 5 @38 inside 6...that's mighty good for me and I had it (I know we all had it), but short of a slight overturn at 4 taking me hot to 5 it was going easy...like I had time to think. Want that one back.

In any event, the increased wing adjusted the running angle of the ski to nose down and made a huge difference to me. No more too high on the boat, just high/wide, and coming back in on the "swing" at the ball with great cadence.

Not sure this will help anyone...but I was thinking I needed a bigger ski (68). This was pretty magical on set #2 today.

• Baller

Interesting... Again, this ski seems to be able to find a happy place at so many different settings.

Just curious... @6balls - would you happen to be or have been called a "back" stance skier? What I mean is do you typically ride with the ski more out in front at all times? I have noticed that some skiers prefer this "back" stance. They tend to have a very consistent tip attitude, but it is slightly higher throughout. Anyway, those skiers tend to like setups where the ski will snap the turn vs tip-deep carved turns. The trade off can be a little less efficiency and the need for more drag in the approach the to ball. I wonder if you have discovered the magic setup on the Vapor for this style of stance and technique.

• Baller
Just throwing this out there but if anyone just can't resist the allure of the 2017 Pro build and is looking to sell a 2016 66" Lithium Vapor in good shape at the end of the year or through the winter, PM me! I don't mind waiting as my season is soon drawing to a close so I can wait until you lucky ducks down south are done skiing in what, November?!

• Baller
Off topic, I know but I think that 00-01 SN 196 is quite possibly my favorite looking boat ever made... Now back to the matter at hand, a 67 is too big. Honestly, I'm borderline on a 66". Could probably ski a 65" just fine too (5'8, 140ish lbs, 36mph @ 15 off).