Is anyone going to nationals?

schroed

• Baller
I just looked at the seeding report for nationals and it's looking pretty pathetic. There's only 13 M3 slalom skiers, and 15 M4 slalom skiers. I would have thought those would be pretty big divisions. This could be the smallest nationals ever if more people don't sign up.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@schroed I'm sure after this weekend and the regionals finish up that people will start registering. I know I would like to hold onto my $160-$187 for as long as possible if I was going to be going.

• Baller
Not skiing in it, but will be there Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to pull practice and help out where needed. Didn't want to spend the money to go to Paducah even though Nationals are in my back yard... Hope to see a few Ballers :smile:

• Baller
I'm going...I'll be there Monday for the Board Meeting then back Thurs/Fri to ski. I've been around this crazy sport for 38 years and have slalomed at Nationals, tricked at Nationals or slalomed and tricked. This year is the first year I qualified in all three events! So I'll be there!

• Baller

Let's see... Driving 1000's of miles ($500), hotel rooms ($750), entry fees ($200), consuming 4-5 days of Work Vacation hours, skiing as last seed in your first ever Nat's qualification, priceless!

Difficult decision since my son qualified for the first time this year. We hadn't planned for that in terms of time or budget.

• Baller
@toddl ...you're crazy if you don't go! You and your son just qualified for the first time?! West Palm is a fun place, beaches, restaurants....tons of fun. Don't go planning on winning, but plan on a PB- Okeeheelee is one of the best sites in the world....water is slow, and you'll have great driving.

• Supporting Member
I didn't qualify (see other absurd thread), but I'm just about to book it anyhow, because there's a ton of new stuff I want to see, and quite a few folks I'd like to talk with in person. Current guess is I'll arrive midday Friday and leave Sunday morning.

• Baller
@MattP @Than_Bogan has a lull in his scores for some reason. I think it has to do with struggling with the binding change last year and not skiing up to his usual scores so his average is down. Than has started to get back to being his usual self on new boots but his current average isn't above the COA.

• Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I guess I never really touched on that anywhere. It's actually a pretty huge laundry list of things, any ONE of which taken away would probably have qualified me for Nationals. Injuries, equipment transition, unlucky weather, scheduling conflicts. But I think if I have to pick the one "biggest reason" it's a little thing called PatMax RedLine, which is by far the greatest accomplishment of my career. That resulted in some major priority shifts for a little while, and is part of the reason that many of the other things happened (well, except the unlucky weather that aligned near-hurricanes to several of the few tournaments I actually made it to).

Even so, I "only" need one more score of 2.5 @ -35, so if I could make it to a tournament this weekend I'd have an excellent chance. Once again, it's a question of priorities.

• Baller
I'll be there, skiing all three events with OB4 Systems bindings. OB4 Systems will have a booth in the exhibits area, come by, check out the new boots, and discuss your needs with us.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Only two of us in MM tricks. Not as much fun when the division is too small but our Regionals was hotly contested and fun - I just couldn't talk the others into coming to Nationals. And a few of the guys who said they'd ski MM are still in age division (overall issues?). And then there's @Horton who is malingering because he's scared of my tricks.

Eric

• Baller_
I didn't qualify on score for the first time in ... a long time. Also didn't qualify on placement at Regionals. Apparently you actually have to run a pass to have a shot at the podium. Knowing the rules and watching the ranking lists, however, got me into Regionals in overall, and I won the overall. While some might just write it off to there being no other skiers in M5 overall, others might say I outlived the competition. Driving practice 4 to 6 on the Turnpike Lake tomorrow. Come take a set.

Lpskier