What measures do you take to protect your boat and gear?

Wish

• Baller

From quite a few years back, I heard a story of a family towing their ski boat behind their

motorhome. Maybe in California? They pulled into a rest area for some zzz's overnight.

In the AM, they started up and drove away. Quite some time later, they discovered that

they weren't towing the boat. Apparently, someone unhooked the boat during the night,

and then made away with it once the motorhome moved. Don't know if the boat was ever

found or the thieves caught. Horton may have a memory of this incident.

• Baller

I have a theory that people don't steal boats which look like they're about to sink. So as a matter of policy I never clean the boat or perform even the most basic of aesthetic maintenance*. The crappier it looks, the better!

I also:

• keep a lock over the tow coupler of the boat when I'm not towing

• store the key at a separate location just so would be thieves won't get any immediate satisfaction

• keep skis and other equipment in the back of the truck rather than in the boat (kind of a compromise between security and convenience)

• keep theft insurance just in case

*Not that I neglect the boat though, if that engine sputters even once I'm raiding the college fund.

• Baller
Boat lift with a padlock. My boat is old now, and I think wakeboard boats would be a more desirable target. Garage in the winter. Gear gets taken out of the boat every night and put in the garage. Smaller stuff is what is usually taken, canoes, small outboards, kayaks, etc.. Difficult to strip down a boat into small enough parts that can be hidden unlike cars.